Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Lounge Overwhelmed by Golds from SPG

Old Sep 23, 17, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am at a Marriott property in China. Tonight, the lounge was simply overwhelmed by guests. It is a big lounge and well staffed. Food was running out faster than than could replenish it. This is my 3rd night here and it was not like this previous nights.

I asked the people sitting at the entrance if too many guests are sneaking people in (a lot of people were obviously gathering in the lounge to eat - some tables had 8 people who know each other eating together). He said no. He said they expected this number (but obviously not quite prepared for it) and "there are a lot of gold members and they are from SPG".

This hotel probably has it worse than others since it is 2 blocks from a Le Meridien which is higher category. I am not sure if SPG Golds get access to the lounge there. (I think SPG Golds get access to some lounges in Asia?)

I am not surprised but I wonder how widespread this problem is.
Old Sep 23, 17, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Were they checking names at the door from a list? If not, how would he know if the guests were SPG or MAR Golds. Even w/ names I doubt if the roster has which program a guest is elite in. Since the lounge wasn't as busy on the 2 prior nights, might have been some event happening. It could be sudden influx of SPG Golds (they don't get lounge access at SPG properties), or it could be something else like wedding, conference, holiday.

Cheers.
CMK10, KENNECTED and unclepants like this.
Old Sep 23, 17, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I asked him about tonight in particular. His answer was specific that they were expecting these many people tonight but then he went into the general trend.

He was saying that since the merger, they get a lot more people accessing the lounge, they are mostly golds and from SPG. He said Gold and he said SPG. I did not deduce either and know the language well enough to understand the meaning.
Old Sep 23, 17, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username View Post
He was saying that since the merger, they get a lot more people accessing the lounge, they are mostly golds and from SPG. He said Gold and he said SPG. I did not deduce either and know the language well enough to understand the meaning.
People make stuff up all the time.

There have been complaints about overcrowded Marriott lounges so long as I've been reading FT. Come to think about it, people complain about lounge crowding in all the major program fora.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 23, 17, 11:22 am

Before the SPG merger, the complaints of overcrowding were due to UA flyers.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 17, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
People make stuff up all the time.
And further, SPG Gold wouldn't get one lounge access at a Marriott property, anyway: one would need to match status to MR -- and to use the MR account at check-in.
Markie likes this.
Old Sep 23, 17, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
And further, SPG Gold wouldn't get one lounge access at a Marriott property, anyway: one would need to match status to MR -- and to use the MR account at check-in.
This year SPG matched my Marriott status so maybe that explains the comment about SPG golds.
Old Sep 23, 17, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
This year SPG matched my Marriott status so maybe that explains the comment about SPG golds.
I doubt the lounge attendant's list of folk allowed into the lounge drills down to if the Marriott elite was status matched.
Old Sep 23, 17, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by username View Post
I am at a Marriott property in China.
Anecdotes are more informative when the property is disclosed.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 23, 17, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG / Marriott Gold.
I'm sure since getting SPG gold is easy (American Express Platinum) and it transfers to Marriott it has increased the number of people in lounges. It's also the only reason we've started occasionally staying at Marriott properties. So it's a double edged sword.
Old Sep 23, 17, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
A lounge attendant is not going to have detailed information about how the guests earned their Marriott Gold status.

It's an easy assumption to make though. I suspect that most SPG Platinums are still staying at SPG hotels. SPG Golds (especially credit card Golds) have more incentive to switch over to Marriott due to the massive difference in benefits, but how many of those are really going to be in China on a given evening?
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 23, 17, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
was about to say that too. SPG Golds don't have complimentary access to a Marriott hotel lounge!!!
Old Sep 23, 17, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Well, with one click of a button to link SPG and Marriott accounts they do. (And I'm glad to have that benefit and have increased my Marriott stays because of it).
Old Sep 23, 17, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I suspect that most SPG Platinums are still staying at SPG hotels. SPG Golds (especially credit card Golds) have more incentive to switch over to Marriott due to the massive difference in benefits, but how many of those are really going to be in China on a given evening?
And the number of non-FTers who leverage these things is pretty small.
Old Sep 23, 17, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
disagree

with Chinese Visa giving away SPG G status with only ONE SPG stay, getting SPG G is so easy and then converting it to MR G, and lounge access, at the push of a button is a snap

they even have a specific blog about this "trick"

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
And the number of non-FTers who leverage these things is pretty small.
CJKatl likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: