Marriott is denying me points

Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Marriott is denying me points

Hi all,
i had a recent stay with Marriott in which i had in excess of 10 rooms booked under my name/account. When i saw the amount of points that were posted to my rewards account, i called MR to say that there are points missing.

I was told that per terms and conditions, i was only allowed to receive points for 3 rooms per stay. She spoke to a supervisor and told me "there's nothing i can do about it, it's in the terms and conditions".

I dont understand the logic behind being penalized for spending more at Marriott.

Had i known, i would have gone to a less expensive hotel. I made that spend expecting to receive points for it and they are flat out denying me, won't even put a supervisor on the phone with me.

Given my status and annual spent, i am shocked.

Does anybody have any suggestion how to go about getting the missing points?

I doubt calling the hotel would be any help, anytime i call a hotel directly about points they refer me back to calling MR directly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's in the terms and conditions. Not a whole lot you can do about it.
AAExpDFW likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by danmb280
Does anybody have any suggestion....
Yes, read the T's and C's of the MR program-especially when making such a large and unusual reservation. There are many threads here that talk about benefits available only to the room the member is staying in and only earning points for a max of three rooms. That's actually pretty generous IMHO. Sorry you didn't know this upfront, but I cannot see any way that you would get points not owed to you.

The thread title is very misleading. You aren't being denied anything. You got exactly what you earned.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm sure you're disappointed, but as others have pointed out this rule is quite clear. If you're angry, it should be at yourself for not doing a little research rather than assuming you could get points for as many rooms as you wanted.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:45 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...rd-points.html
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Hi all,
i had a recent stay with Marriott in which i had in excess of 10 rooms booked under my name/account. When i saw the amount of points that were posted to my rewards account, i called MR to say that there are points missing.

I was told that per terms and conditions, i was only allowed to receive points for 3 rooms per stay. She spoke to a supervisor and told me "there's nothing i can do about it, it's in the terms and conditions".

I dont understand the logic behind being penalized for spending more at Marriott.

Had i known, i would have gone to a less expensive hotel. I made that spend expecting to receive points for it and they are flat out denying me, won't even put a supervisor on the phone with me.

Given my status and annual spent, i am shocked.

I doubt calling the hotel would be any help, anytime i call a hotel directly about points they refer me back to calling MR directly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
And I thought I was entitled to get points credit for only 1 room. I know starwood gives nights and points credit for up to 3 rooms, whereas I thought Marriott only gives credit points for only 1 room. Several occasions I had multiple rooms at Marriott, and got only points credit for 1 room.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If you're booking over 10 rooms, you should call it a meeting/conference/convention and get some extra points for that (and maybe negotiate a lower room rate).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Marriott Rewards is a program for individual members -- not for groups, companies, or pools of individuals.

There are times when an individual member might book a second or third room, typically for a large or multigenerational family. So Marriott provides points for up to three rooms, although the member is personally only occupying one of them. Even with three rooms, there's still just a single elite qualifying night.

See Rewards Terms & Conditions and look for the section that begins, "A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for a qualifying stay at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms."

Nobody will have a good suggestion for getting points for your recent 10-plus rooms on the same night under your name/account.

As already noted in this thread, there are other approaches you might want to consider in the future.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP
While the OP is dead wrong, I get his frustration.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Love the replies "well it's in terms and conditions", same attitude as Marriott employees, not helpful at all.

Sure, i can take some blame for not having read fine print, but my point was that it is illogical to punish a paying customer for spending more because i can physically only occupy one room. If i'm paying for all the rooms I should be rewarded for the money i spend not for square footage my body occupies.

If i buy 15 rooms or 15 people buy 1 room, it's the same revenue to the hotel so why should I...the extremely loyal customer who has spent a fortune and proven loyalty above and beyond, not earn the same amount of points as 15 people? I'm not asking for more, i'm asking for fair.

This is the opposite of fair, sorry but that's how i see it.
It will def determine where and how I spend my money in the future.

Sorry for the venting, just very frustrated, I could have split up the group in so many different ways to earn more points.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Love the replies "well it's in terms and conditions", same attitude as Marriott employees, not helpful at all.

Sure, i can take some blame for not having read fine print, but my point was that it is illogical to punish a paying customer for spending more because i can physically only occupy one room. If i'm paying for all the rooms I should be rewarded for the money i spend not for square footage my body occupies.

If i buy 15 rooms or 15 people buy 1 room, it's the same revenue to the hotel so why should I...the extremely loyal customer who has spent a fortune and proven loyalty above and beyond, not earn the same amount of points as 15 people? I'm not asking for more, i'm asking for fair.

Sorry for the venting, just very frustrated, I could have split up the group in so many different ways to earn more points.
Is there any hotel program that will give points for 10 rooms a night?
The best advice I think is to negotiate before the booking and to know the rules.
If you have friends with MR accounts, maybe MR will let you credit some of those rooms to their accounts. call and ask and report back
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
If you have friends with MR accounts, maybe MR will let you credit some of those rooms to their accounts. call and ask and report back
That's actually not a bad idea, at least someone can get them rather than being lost.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:54 am

Sure, i can take some blame
You should take all the blame.
pitflyer and dcchi like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Yes, if you do a little research here you will find many suggestions how to keep from leaving points on the table. Unfortunately, all of these require pre-planning and don't help after the fact. It's wise, anytime you are doing something unusual, do your homework upfront and know what to expect.

Generally speaking, loyalty programs are benefits for the member and not anyone and everyone they know. Although not hard to conceive, I would guess far less than 1% of guests book more than one room.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Generally speaking, loyalty programs are benefits for the member and not anyone and everyone they know. Although not hard to conceive, I would guess far less than 1% of guests book more than one room.
I can make the argument that if i'm paying for it, they are my rooms. But i hear what you're saying.

As for the 1%, i guess you're right because in all these years i never encountered this issue which means i never booked more than 3 rooms at a time ever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.