Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott is denying me points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ords
Perhaps I'm wrong but OP could have booked Under Rewarding events. Paid a token amount for a small room say for an hour and put all the room names under him.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi
Actually, there are two different programs, one that allows a meeting planner to get credit for rooms (in addition to the guests getting credit if a member) and a second that grants 10 night credit for booking a meeting room. But all of this requires preplanning and not expecting credit after the fact.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
There is a logic that says if hotel programs didn’t cap the number of rooms per night you can earn with, then everyone would be earning themselves instant PlataDiamomdomium status and endless promotional riches in by simply booking dozens of rooms for a night at the cheapest hotel they can find. @:-)
So instead they book multiple nights at said cheap hotel. A friend of mine did that some time back, when rewards were a lot nicer.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually, there are two different programs, one that allows a meeting planner to get credit for rooms (in addition to the guests getting credit if a member) and a second that grants 10 night credit for booking a meeting room. But all of this requires preplanning and not expecting credit after the fact.
Not disagreeing, but saying this could be an option for those in the future. Yes, the OP is out of luck this time.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by danmb280
Sure, i can take some blame for not having read fine print,
And the rest of the blame goes to? Marriott for daring to follow the published terms that they follow for every other customer?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

If there isn't much i can do at this point, i get it and i'll live with it, was hoping for a more constructive exchange on here (I did get some from some people and thank you to those who provided something of value) but that's unlikely to happen given the responses I got from most. Just to make everybody happy, I'll take ALL the blame.

Last edited by danmb280; Sep 23, 2017 at 7:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
again, very helpful. Thank you.
Ignore @UpgradeMe I can remember him trolling the PMNW forum over a decade ago and scaring off newbies and annoying the rest of us. I recommend blocking him or just accepting that his post is either going to be a snarky search result or a degradation of you. Once you accept that, you can move on

With that said what I would do in the future is create the block of rooms as a meeting planner through Rewarding Events and then you'll get a portion of points for each room. IDK if it will be as much as it would have if you got the true earn for all 10 rooms, but it helps.

I regularly do this with my USTA tennis teams when we advance to post-local league competitions and tournaments and need anywhere from 6-15 rooms for a long weekend. I think I hit Plat a few extra times because of the bonus nights too.

Last edited by bergamini; Sep 27, 2017 at 10:01 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bergamini
Ignore @UpgradeMe IDK if it will be as much as it would have if you got the true earn for all 10 rooms, but it helps.
I def appreciate the insight. After looking into events reservation, I found out that the cap per event is 50k points. I'm due few multiples of that so in this particular case it wouldn't be helpful but def something to consider in the future. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:27 pm

This was at a Hilton, but many years ago I hosted a birthday party with ~ 8 rooms needed for out of town guests. I coordinated with the front desk to have all the room charges for the other rooms transferred to my folio. I didn't earn the nights but I did earn full points. That may be another strategy. I was renting out the lounge for the event so I had a bit of an in on the property, but it seems easy enough to transfer between folios that kind of thing.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
After looking into events reservation, I found out that the cap per event is 50k points. I'm due few multiples of that.
Look, I know you feel piled-on and only wanted to hear suggestions about how to earn extra points, but you aren't "due" anything more than what you got. It's that entitled attitude that led to many of the harsher responses in this thread.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I def appreciate the insight. After looking into events reservation, I found out that the cap per event is 50k points. I'm due few multiples of that so in this particular case it wouldn't be helpful but def something to consider in the future. Much appreciated.
You're not due anything beyond what you were credited with.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dayone
+1.
+2

OP, is this a joke? Do you really believe you will get points for 10 rooms? Get real.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
+2

OP, is this a joke? Do you really believe you will get points for 10 rooms? Get real.
The OP is absolutely not going to get it after the fact, but if you can have the front desk put the room charges on your folio then you can get the points but that must be done before and not after. I'm not saying that will work at every property but it did work for me.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
If there isn't much i can do at this point, i get it and i'll live with it, was hoping for a more constructive exchange on here (I did get some from some people and thank you to those who provided something of value) but that's unlikely to happen given the responses I got from most. Just to make everybody happy, I'll take ALL the blame.
OP - I see lot of snarky comments on this thread, ignore them, it's a public forum after all.

Since the program rules don't apply for the points beyond 3 rooms to be credited to 1 person, just have the other rooms be credited to other people with 3 rooms per person. they can be your family members and you can use those points later, or your spouse and the spouse's points can be transferred to your account with a limit each year.

You can create your family members Marriott accounts if they don't have one; you can also refer them to Marriott so you get some extra points. Lot of ways to get creative. Of course if the hotel allows the crediting to other people now, since by now you'd have discussed this issue a few times with them already, so the hotel manager should be willing to work with you to retroactively add the points.

Good luck!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:14 pm

Hi all,
i had a recent stay with Marriott in which i had in excess of 10 rooms booked under my name/account. When i saw the amount of points that were posted to my rewards account, i called MR to say that there are points missing.

I was told that per terms and conditions, i was only allowed to receive points for 3 rooms per stay. She spoke to a supervisor and told me "there's nothing i can do about it, it's in the terms and conditions".

I dont understand the logic behind being penalized for spending more at Marriott.

Had i known, i would have gone to a less expensive hotel. I made that spend expecting to receive points for it and they are flat out denying me, won't even put a supervisor on the phone with me.

Given my status and annual spent, i am shocked.

Does anybody have any suggestion how to go about getting the missing points?

I doubt calling the hotel would be any help, anytime i call a hotel directly about points they refer me back to calling MR directly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
No.1, it's in the Ts&Cs.

No.2, I believe you can get the points of up to 10 rooms if you are holding an event.

I had a wedding event back in January, and I can tell you this is going to be a pain because I booked my rooms that were not in the contract rate, so the Marriott Rewards desk had to manually add the points for me. However, I always remember to not to book more than three rooms a day because I know it's not going to credit.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raj_cl
OP - I see lot of snarky comments on this thread, ignore them, it's a public forum after all.

Since the program rules don't apply for the points beyond 3 rooms to be credited to 1 person, just have the other rooms be credited to other people with 3 rooms per person. they can be your family members and you can use those points later, or your spouse and the spouse's points can be transferred to your account with a limit each year.

You can create your family members Marriott accounts if they don't have one; you can also refer them to Marriott so you get some extra points. Lot of ways to get creative. Of course if the hotel allows the crediting to other people now, since by now you'd have discussed this issue a few times with them already, so the hotel manager should be willing to work with you to retroactively add the points.

Good luck!
Thanks Raj, great constructive feedback, it's been suggested by someone else as well and appears to be the most plausible solution for my situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.