Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
You should take all the blame.
again, very helpful. Thank you.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by danmb280
Love the replies "well it's in terms and conditions", same attitude as Marriott employees, not helpful at all.

Sure, i can take some blame for not having read fine print, but my point was that it is illogical to punish a paying customer for spending more because i can physically only occupy one room. If i'm paying for all the rooms I should be rewarded for the money i spend not for square footage my body occupies.

If i buy 15 rooms or 15 people buy 1 room, it's the same revenue to the hotel so why should I...the extremely loyal customer who has spent a fortune and proven loyalty above and beyond, not earn the same amount of points as 15 people? I'm not asking for more, i'm asking for fair.

This is the opposite of fair, sorry but that's how i see it.
It will def determine where and how I spend my money in the future.

Sorry for the venting, just very frustrated, I could have split up the group in so many different ways to earn more points.
That's just how these things work. If you had been booking airline tickets, you would only get the miles for one. At least here you can get points for three rooms.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
That's just how these things work. If you had been booking airline tickets, you would only get the miles for one. At least here you can get points for three rooms.
good point.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I was actually pleasantly surprised to find out that they offer points for up to three rooms. I seldom book more than one room, but discovered this when I recently had to book a second room for friends.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:03 am

Wow you can get points for 3 rooms? I think that's very generous. Imagine if there was no limit, and you were a travel agent.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Last edited by jbeans; Sep 22, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: none
While this may not help the OP after the fact, it may be advice for others on how to do this.

If you're paying for all ten rooms instead of just booking and letting others pay, contact the hotel in advance and tell them you want several rooms, and negotiate a special price. If price won't work, try extra benefits in exchange, maybe upgrades, early/late checkout, comped drinks, wine, etc. Use your imagination. You might not get the points, but you might get the next best thing - dollars.

But do it in advance.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
While this may not help the OP after the fact, it may be advice for others on how to do this.

If you're paying for all ten rooms instead of just booking and letting others pay, contact the hotel in advance and tell them you want several rooms, and negotiate a special price. If price won't work, try extra benefits in exchange, maybe upgrades, early/late checkout, comped drinks, wine, etc. Use your imagination. You might not get the points, but you might get the next best thing - dollars.

But do it in advance.
Thanks Allan. Have you ever had any luck negotiating price with Marriott hotels directly?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Thanks Allan. Have you ever had any luck negotiating price with Marriott hotels directly?
When booking a dozen rooms, yes. How much luck depends on how full the hotel expects to be without my business, of course.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethb
When booking a dozen rooms, yes. How much luck depends on how full the hotel expects to be without my business, of course.
not that this is likely to happen again, but good to know for the future.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Hi all,
i had a recent stay with Marriott in which i had in excess of 10 rooms booked under my name/account. When i saw the amount of points that were posted to my rewards account, i called MR to say that there are points missing.

I was told that per terms and conditions, i was only allowed to receive points for 3 rooms per stay. She spoke to a supervisor and told me "there's nothing i can do about it, it's in the terms and conditions".

I dont understand the logic behind being penalized for spending more at Marriott.

Had i known, i would have gone to a less expensive hotel. I made that spend expecting to receive points for it and they are flat out denying me, won't even put a supervisor on the phone with me.

Given my status and annual spent, i am shocked.

Does anybody have any suggestion how to go about getting the missing points?

I doubt calling the hotel would be any help, anytime i call a hotel directly about points they refer me back to calling MR directly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Most hotels have a similar policy. At Hilton it's only two rooms, I believe.

There are no missing points because you were never supposed to get points for those extra rooms to begin with.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
You should take all the blame.
+1.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
Yes. I have been doing this all these years if I want to book several rooms. You can request for upgrade of room, reduce price for club lounge access for all rooms, complimentary breakfast, discount for group dining etc. All these could reduce in substantial savings from hundreds to thousand dollars.

Originally Posted by Allan38103

But do it in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I dont understand the logic
There is a logic that says if hotel programs didn’t cap the number of rooms per night you can earn with, then everyone would be earning themselves instant PlataDiamomdomium status and endless promotional riches in by simply booking dozens of rooms for a night at the cheapest hotel they can find. @:-)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
There is a logic that says if hotel programs didn’t cap the number of rooms per night you can earn with, then everyone would be earning themselves instant PlataDiamomdomium status and endless promotional riches in by simply booking dozens of rooms for a night at the cheapest hotel they can find. @:-)
It's for that reason that Marriott has multiple requirements to reach status, not just points. You can't earn more stay credits to meet annual 75 nt requirement just by booking more rooms for the same stay and I agree with that.

But capping my "rewards" for spending money (points) by cutting me off for spending more is what I have a problem with. My amex also doesn't stop giving me points once I reach some sort of cap.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:43 am

Perhaps I'm wrong but OP could have booked Under Rewarding events. Paid a token amount for a small room say for an hour and put all the room names under him.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.