Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

IRMA hit our anniversary trip, need alternative

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

We had intended to book Marriott's Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas USVI for our March 2018 anniversary trip. It now looks like MFR is closed for the foreseeable future and, while I hope it reopens by then, I don't want to roll the dice.

Any suggestions for nice (undamaged) Marriott properties with a beach in Caribbean?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Do you need Caribbean? Or just warm/beach?

Costa Rica could be a nice alternative. I think Aruba was unaffected by the storm. There also appear to be a few other south Carib islands with Courtyards, although a CY probably wouldn't be my first choice for a resort stay.

We booked Hawaii for March 2018 using a Travel Package. I noticed as of a couple weeks ago there was still several options for award availability on different islands. Just go the entirely opposite direction!!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks, Pinniped.

I should have clarified. Caribbean is preferable because its close, though Central America might be a possibility.

Not really interested in Courtyards, Fairfields, etc. Would prefer nicer resort-type properties with a beach.

BTW, just got back from Aruba Ritz over Labor Day. Great place.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You might want to check out the Cayman Marriott and/or RC. Depending on how you are paying (and whether you want/need night/stay credits) the Westin next to the RC is a nice resort as well. I'd say the Westin in nicer than the Marriott, but not as nice as the RC.

From what I have read, St. Kitts was spared the worst of the storm and their airport is already opened. The Marriott there is nice as well.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Take a look at Costa Rica if you don't want to return to the Aruba Ritz... I've never been, but have read generally positive reviews of the Marriotts there. It's been on my list for some time to make the trip.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Anyone visited the Renaissance in St Croix?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Anyone visited the Renaissance in St Croix?
A bit outdated but some trip reports here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...islands-2.html
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If it didn't get beat up due to Irma, this could be a good alternative for you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...a-bahamas.html
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Just booked a return trip to the JW Cancun for January. Not Caribbean, per se, but a nice property with a good beach. They have a Club floor which is essentially a $100/nt upgrade over a regular Superior Ocean view when using points.

After staying at the Marriott Aruba, the thing I liked best was there was no need to fight for the palapas, plenty of them on the beach no matter when we decided to go down to the beach. Plenty of nice restaurants in the area as well.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I'm not sure if you are considering SPG properties. But, the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun is great. Truthfully, one of the best properties I have stayed at anywhere. Great staff, great room, lots of great restaurants nearby.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Some awesome beaches in Panama and a night or two in Panama City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.