Do you have to ask for upgrades?

Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
LOL dramatize much? Isolated cases != dogma.

I run legit upgrades (not just a higher floor) ~50% of the time w/SPG, year over year...and I never ask.
And I get a better-than-that upgrade rate at Marriott. Your point?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
And I get a better-than-that upgrade rate at Marriott. Your point?
I would call you an extreme outlier...be happy for your success.

I don't think I've heard of a single other poster say they get jr. suite or better upgrades more than half the time at Marriott properties. The general consensus from what I've seen is, "wow I'm getting more suites now w/SPG than I've ever seen w/MR". Which is what you would expect, given how the benefit is written w/the respective programs.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Sep 17, 2017 at 7:51 am Reason: detail
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I don't think I've heard of a single other poster say they get jr. suite or better upgrades more than half the time at Marriott properties. The general consensus from what I've seen is, "wow I'm getting more suites now w/SPG than I've ever seen w/MR". Which is what you would expect, given how the benefit is written w/the respective programs.
IME upgrades at MR properties are highly dependent on the the property itself. At the Ren LAX I've been upgraded to Jr. Suites well over 75% of the time as a Plat. However, that property has a lot of Jr. Suites (442 rooms, 59 suites). There are a lot of FS MR properties where only a very small percentage (~2% or less) of their rooms are Suites. The Marriott LAX, has 984 rooms and 20 suites and I've never been upgraded to a suite there.

I've argued since the merger was announced that the suite upgrade policy for Plats going forward will need some tweaking to accommodate the wide variability of suite proportions at legacy MR properties.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IME upgrades at MR properties are highly dependent on the the property itself. At the Ren LAX I've been upgraded to Jr. Suites well over 75% of the time as a Plat. However, that property has a lot of Jr. Suites (442 rooms, 59 suites). There are a lot of FS MR properties where only a very small percentage (~2% or less) of their rooms are Suites. The Marriott LAX, has 984 rooms and 20 suites and I've never been upgraded to a suite there.

I've argued since the merger was announced that the suite upgrade policy for Plats going forward will need some tweaking to accommodate the wide variability of suite proportions at legacy MR properties.
I don't think that's any different from SPG properties...if you are only staying at Alofts and Four Points, you're not going to get many upgrades and if you spend 100% of your time at a full service property w/ a good amount of suites, of course it will be easier too.

I still maintain the language and the intent of upgrading of each program is just different...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I still maintain the language and the intent of upgrading of each program is just different...
Agreed. And that language difference is significant (as you pointed out earlier). The combined program has itself a bit of a quandary given the large variation in proportions of suites. Do they anger the franchisees by "giving away" suites freely, or do they anger higher level elites (esp. legacy SPG elites) by trimming the suite upgrade benefits?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:19 am

As a Gold this year I've been upgraded to a standard suite, a junior suite, a corner room ("the second largest room in the hotel"), and executive floor level. Around 80% of the time that I ask I get a meaningful upgrade. There was only one time where I was upgraded without asking.

I don't always ask but I am usually quite polite but convincing when I do. Anyone with sales background shouldn't have too hard of a time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.