Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Canada Marriott Rewards Visa showing on credit report as Scotiabank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Canada Marriott Rewards Visa showing on credit report as Scotiabank

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Chase Canada Marriott Rewards Visa bought by Scotiabank?

So we know that Scotiabank bought most of the Chase Canada credit portfolio in 2015, with the exception of the Marriott Rewards Visa and Amazon Visa.

Now my Chase Canada Marriott Rewards Visa is showing on my credit report as Scotiabank.

This is of particular interest to those of us who have both the Marriott Rewards Visa and the SPG Amex and are wondering what the outcome of that merger will be.

Last edited by catarina; Jul 7, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:12 pm

I just checked my credit report and I see the same, my Chase VISA account is now reporting under Scotiabank.

Just because Chase sold their portfolio to Scotiabank doesn't mean that if Chase in the US continues to issue Marriott cards after the merger of loyalty programs that Scotiabank will be able to do the same here in Canada.

We could see a bidding war from AMEX & Scotiabank to retain being the issuer in Canada. I think AMEX has more to lose (especially since they lost Costco) so they won't go down without a fight.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by imverge
I just checked my credit report and I see the same, my Chase VISA account is now reporting under Scotiabank.

Just because Chase sold their portfolio to Scotiabank doesn't mean that if Chase in the US continues to issue Marriott cards after the merger of loyalty programs that Scotiabank will be able to do the same here in Canada.

We could see a bidding war from AMEX & Scotiabank to retain being the issuer in Canada. I think AMEX has more to lose (especially since they lost Costco) so they won't go down without a fight.
I agree on both. There are many loyalty credit cards available in the US (or other countries) that are not available in Canada.

I would be disappointed to lose the benefits of the Chase Card. The annual free night was enjoyed every year and the no fx does add up.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

As of September 5, 2017, applications for this credit card are not longer being accepted.

I wonder what Scotiabank will substitute when they close out these cards?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Why would this be seen as an ending of the card program? I see the card is owned by Marriott and only serviced by a given bank. Scotiabank is the current servicer. Sure, it might take some time for the new bank to start taking card applications again?

Rasheed
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
Why would this be seen as an ending of the card program? I see the card is owned by Marriott and only serviced by a given bank. Scotiabank is the current servicer. Sure, it might take some time for the new bank to start taking card applications again?

Rasheed
The Scotiabank thing in the credit reports got reversed. Chase owns the card, not Marriott. Scotia may be contracted to provide support for the card. With the Marriot/SPG merger, no one has any idea what will happen to both this and the Amex SPG.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by catarina
As of September 5, 2017, applications for this credit card are not longer being accepted.
Do you have link/source for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.