Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
Fall 2017 MegaBonus Terms and Conditions

*A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. [Although the T&Cs don't say it clearly, a stay can be as short as one night.]

• Registration is required.
• Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by November 30, 2017 will earn one (1) free night award at a category 1-5 hotel (value of standard free night award ranges from 7,500 points for Category 1 hotels to 25,000 points for Category 5 hotels) after two paid stays* made between September 12, 2017 and January 15, 2018, at participating Marriott® properties.
• If a member completes two qualifying stays during the promotional period, an additional offer may be unlocked and become available in the members account within 2-3 days after the second qualifying stay.
• The member may not receive additional notification except through their online member account and must register for the additional offer within two (2) weeks from the date the additional offer becomes available.
• Maximum one (1) free night award earned with this promotion per member to be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-5 properties.
• Free night award will expire six (6) months after the date of issuance.
• An earned free night award is good for one (1) single or double occupancy standard room only and includes the cost of the hotel room and applicable room taxes only.
• An earned free night award will be added to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the second qualifying stay.
• The awarded free night certificate is not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
• Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit.
• Stays at ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments are not eligible for credit toward this promotion.
• Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
• Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
• For a list of current Marriott Rewards participating brands, visit https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi.
• Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
• Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion.
• All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
• See https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi for more information.
• Visit MarriottRewards.com/FreeNightMegaBonus for complete details.
• © 2017 Marriott International, Inc.

US T&C above, here are all the T&C links I found:

https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_fr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_au.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_jp.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_kr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_es.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_de.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_cn.html
Print Wikipost

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Herb687
Essentially the same problem here.
Go online and get the chat going or send them a message. The chat guy activated it for me and I can see it active in my account now.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You get elite benefits for all stays at Marriott as long as your account info is attached with the reservation. This includes stays booked on third party websites that do not earn points or credit for elite qualification.

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Question about the free night certificate.

As a Platinum, will I be treated as a Platinum using the Marriott free night award certificate? So, any room upgrade? Lounge access? Welcome bonus points?

I ask this naive question because all indications are that the free night is a free night and nothing more. Over at SPG, a free night comes with all the benefits of your status...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftrichard
As a Platinum, will I be treated as a Platinum using the Marriott free night award certificate? So, any room upgrade? Lounge access? Welcome bonus points?
You will get those benefits which you would get on a paid stay with you membership number in the reservation.

Room upgrades are not guaranteed. Lounge access is as long as there is a lounge* and it's open; what happens when the lounge is closed or non-existent* varies by hotel, but again it's the same for paid vs award stay.

* Yes, there are Marriott brand hotels without lounges at all, for example the Marriott Suites Garden Grove/Anaheim. There Plats get access to a breakfast buffet much bigger than in most lounges, including a cooked-to-order omelet/etc station, in the downstairs restaurant, but no other lounge equivalent benefit other than the breakfast.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Thanks for clarifying. That's fine then. I'll find a Cat 5 Marriott with a lounge to stay in and maximise value.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:34 am

Starwood to Marriott

I know this is a little off topic but I have been thinking the last couple of days about promotions.

I am a Platinum Elite Member with Marriott and have 92 nights with them this year. Going into next year if Starwood continues to do the promotions that they did this year......why would I stay at a Marriott property in 2018....

I am a Pharma rep in NC and the major cities I visit all have starwood properties there is just one location that I visit that does not!

With this crap Marriott promo I have been staying at Starwood exclusively! The Marriott Promotion gets me about 3,500 points where as when I convert my Starwood points to Marriott Points I get 3 Marriott points for 1 starwood point. I am getting around 6,300 points!

Even without either side doing a promotion for a $200 a night hotel I would still get 300 more points with Starwood.

It will be interesting to see what Marriott does Q1 with a promotion. Do they want everyone to still go to Starwood for the full year till they merge...

If I stay 75 nights next year with Starwood I would get 4 points for every dollar spent.

Again I ask the question! With Starwood Rewards Program converting over next year why would I not try to get as many Starwood Points and convert them will I still can with a 3:1 ratio
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by Marriott15
I know this is a little off topic but I have been thinking the last couple of days about promotions.

I am a Platinum Elite Member with Marriott and have 92 nights with them this year. Going into next year if Starwood continues to do the promotions that they did this year......why would I stay at a Marriott property in 2018....

I am a Pharma rep in NC and the major cities I visit all have starwood properties there is just one location that I visit that does not!

With this crap Marriott promo I have been staying at Starwood exclusively! The Marriott Promotion gets me about 3,500 points where as when I convert my Starwood points to Marriott Points I get 3 Marriott points for 1 starwood point. I am getting around 6,300 points!

Even without either side doing a promotion for a $200 a night hotel I would still get 300 more points with Starwood.

It will be interesting to see what Marriott does Q1 with a promotion. Do they want everyone to still go to Starwood for the full year till they merge...

If I stay 75 nights next year with Starwood I would get 4 points for every dollar spent.

Again I ask the question! With Starwood Rewards Program converting over next year why would I not try to get as many Starwood Points and convert them will I still can with a 3:1 ratio
If it makes sense for you, then do it. ^
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium

If points are your only consideration, and locations work for you, then your approach makes sense.

If you are interested in attaining Lifetime status if you don't already have it, then that might be a reason to stick with Marriott.

Fortunately for me, as a LT Plat, I can and have moved my stays to Starwood and Hilton for this quarter after I earned the certificate.

Everyone has to judge these promos by their own travel patterns and needs,not necessarily by what works for someone else.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:58 pm

Residence inn vs courtyard megabonus difference

Hello, I am aware I will gain 5c /$ for residence inn vs 10c/$ for courtyard.. i would like to know did people notice and difference what is unlocked after we stay 2 nights? Is the bonus less for residence inn?
currently I missed on residence inn pricing which jumped by $60 and is expensive than courtyard w/ breakfast...wanted a kitchenette... any way to ask for a price that was there a week back??
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by saginus
Hello, I am aware I will gain 5c /$ for residence inn vs 10c/$ for courtyard.. i would like to know did people notice and difference what is unlocked after we stay 2 nights? Is the bonus less for residence inn?
The follow-on bonuses are of the form "Earn x,xxx points after y stays." The points and stays count the same whether at a hotel that pays 10 points/dollar base or 5.

currently I missed on residence inn pricing which jumped by $60 and is expensive than courtyard w/ breakfast...wanted a kitchenette... any way to ask for a price that was there a week back??
I've often quipped to my blackjack dealer, "This game would be a lot easier if I could bet after I see my cards."
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Going into next year if Starwood continues to do the promotions that they did this year......why would I stay at a Marriott property in 2018....
I know all the SPG fans think it's superior to Marriott, but honestly I'm about 50% truly crappy Starwood experiences as a matched Marriott Plat. I'm still fighting with SPG cs just to get points from an absolutely awful stay in Rancho Santa Fe two weeks ago. They've now told me it will take them 4 business days to "investigate" why the stay failed to post

So while the Marriott promo is clearly inferior, I've nonetheless cancelled two upcoming SPG stays and rebooked with Marriott.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:35 am

Kacee, See I am flipped. As of right now I have never had to call Starwood as they have always given me my points correctly albeit 7 stays. With Marriott I have to call about every single promotion and they have at least forgot to give me my platinum elite bonus points 2-3 times in the past 4 months.

Freeflyin....when I transfer points over from starwood to Marriott points do those count as life time status points?

Again who knows whats going to happen when they merge both programs together. I would have to assume nights and points would then have to go to Marriott lifetime status!

Really not a big difference for me between Sherton's and Le Meriden's compared to Marriott and Renaissance. At the Marriott Locations the TV's are nice. Really is hit and miss on what ever city you go to. Like the Charlotte Marriott of course is nicer then the Sherton or Meriden. But if you go to Greensboro the Sherton is hand's down nicer then the Greensoboro Marriott.

Have yet to go to a Westin. What is that comparable to? JW Marriott
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
No (repeatedly answered)

Assume anything you’ld like ....... in practice both assumptions are incorrect

when I transfer points over from starwood to Marriott points do those count as life time status points?

I would have to assume nights and points would then have to go to Marriott lifetime status!
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
I know all the SPG fans think it's superior to Marriott, but honestly I'm about 50% truly crappy Starwood experiences as a matched Marriott Plat. I'm still fighting with SPG cs just to get points from an absolutely awful stay in Rancho Santa Fe two weeks ago. They've now told me it will take them 4 business days to "investigate" why the stay failed to post

So while the Marriott promo is clearly inferior, I've nonetheless cancelled two upcoming SPG stays and rebooked with Marriott.
+1 here with "interesting" experiences getting SPG points to post, though my experience was a couple years back. I had to fight a phone battle for a couple hours to get a 2-day stay to post after it failed to do so. It was almost not worth my time to fight for 2000 SPG points. My experiences with MR to get missing stays to post is far more efficient, as they are able to look directly into the hotel system and find my stays, and post them immediately without further investigation.

Though my stays were at par per what I would expect from an int'l Westin and Le Meridien ... I would argue with those that feel SPG is superior to MR.. .I would still prefer staying at a Marriott or JW property since they are similar price range, and I had more likely upgrade options in those hotels. From a quality standpoint, SPG and MR are similar across these brands.... looking strictly objectively.

Looking at the Megabonus vs. SPG's promo, SPG wins, as MR has dropped the ball on this one (especially from an IT and communication - or lack thereof - standpoint, not to mention rewarding the # of stays vs. nights).

10 nights in the last 12 days... different property every night. Hasn't been a major inconvenience, really.... I will make the most of this promo.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Looking at the Megabonus vs. SPG's promo, SPG wins, as MR has dropped the ball on this one (especially from an IT and communication - or lack thereof - standpoint, not to mention rewarding the # of stays vs. nights).
My sense is that Marriott doesn't need to play catch up. Their rates are consistently top of the market in the cities where I'm staying and the properties are full. They seem to be doing well enough on the product and marketing sides that they don't need to lure guests with a generous promo.

I will add that (in my limited experience) they're also keeping their side of the bargain on the redemption side . . . have recently redeemed at Camelback Inn and Essex House (probably two of the most desirable properties in the entire system) on dates where cash rates are absolutely sky high.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saginus
Welcome to FlyerTalk, saginus.

Nothing is necessarily unlocked after you stay 2 nights. It's only unlocked if you do 2 separate stays. 2 nights in one stay will not unlock anything. The 2 nights have to be on separate stays for 2 nights to unlock anything.

A stay is defined as: Any number (1+) of consecutive nights at the same hotel, no matter how many times you check in or check out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.