Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Credit card Prepayment required for Rewards stay?

Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec

This shows up when attempting to book the Residence Inn Bethany Beach on points this morning:

"We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room.

To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 299.70 USD when you make your reservation."

I have never ever been charged real $ in advance to make a rewards reservation. What is this for and where does this money go? More importantly, when/how do I get it back? The rate details make absolutely no mention of this. Has anyone else encountered this type of charge before?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:26 am

Why don't you call the property and ask about the refund policy?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Why don't you call the property and ask about the refund policy?
I called the Plat reservation line, they had no idea, so they in turned called the property. Property indicated that it was an error in the rate rules, no deposit required. I got names of the individual I spoke with as well as the rep at the property; hopefully there won't be any issues.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be sure to check that your credit card hasn't been automatically charged.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be sure to check that your credit card hasn't been automatically charged.
^

No immediate hit, so I'm likely in the clear...but will check again in 1-2 days to be sure.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Sounds like the wrong policy statement got attached to the points rate. I pulled up a random date in December and I didn't see that message. I get:

"Using your points will cover your room charge and tax. Additional service charges and resort fees will be applied where applicable."

Perhaps someone already made the change to the rate, which would be impressive as it's a Sunday. Sounds as if this was a simple human error that got fixed.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I got the same message at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua, months ago, but was never charged the prepayment.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Glitches happen all the time.

See something odd? Call the property, confirm it's not the case, get the name and email of the individual, thank them for putting your mind at easy, and send a nice email confirming. Toss a printout of the email in your travel file and it's over.
LPCJr likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Prepayments can happen at any time. Sometimes as soon as the rez is booked, most frequent has been a day or two before stay. Good idea to keep track of the account used to book and decide if it's worth the fight to get it back before the stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.