Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Door left open

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by kb9522
The door not closing by itself does not preclude the door from closing at all.

It is incumbent on the occupant to secure his or her room prior to leaving, not an inanimate object.
While I agree that it is a good idea to verify that the door closes, I do think that it is a reasonable expectation that as a security measure, hotel room doors should close automatically. I think this is a reasonable expectation in general, but Marriott is getting a price premium over many budget chains and I think that guests are reasonable to expect that the door closing should not be an issue. This is not Motel 6, Econo Lodge, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:20 am

A bit OT but your story reminded me of a family one about when my just married mom and dad moved into their first apartment. She was cleaning the kitchen and suddenly screamed that there was a mouse under the refrigerator. When dad arrived, turned out it was an old teabag
CJKatl likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Thanks and I saw the other requests. No one is obligated to do anything but the value in making this type post without that information is one notch above worthless.

"Oh I went to Panera Bread today and a rat crawled across the counter while I was ordering" - wouldn't you want to know which location?
The posting was not to help you. The posting was asking advice.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Many business travelers are now investing in a portable travel security camera, one that can be used in a room one would be using for more then just an overnight stay. This situation is certainly worthy of such a device. But more so, to monitor the actions of housekeeping. Even the best of properties can have problems and as the old saying goes... "an ounce of prevention....."
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikeschemm
The posting was not to help you. The posting was asking advice.
That's not completely true. Threads asking for help provide future information/help for others searching for similar situations. And providing more information (i.e. the property in question), can benefit other FTers.

With that said, I know of no rule/requirement that forces a poster to provide extra information. Just like there isn't any rule/requirement that anyone has to reply to a request for help if full information disclosure is not provided.

So the OP doesn't have to provide anything more, but having more information will usually provide more benefit to other FTers.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by sfo2bos
My wife is travelling (I am home) and we are dealing with a situation, I wanted to get some FT advice. This is a new one for us, FWIW we both frequent and experienced travelers.

I'll stick to details and try to keep it anonymous.

(1) She arrives mid-morning to a mid-size mid-west city (lots of mids- apparently...), think SLC-ish.
(2) Checks in to mainline Marriott hotel
(3) Leaves for work, takes valuables but leaves suitcase and a few things on the bed
(4) Put DnD sign on door
(5) Arrives back after work, call it 6ish, to her door wide open (not even sure how this is possible, as usually doors shut themselves)
(6) Things are moved slightly (some bags on the bed), but nothing obviously missing
(7) Front desk says they are having issues with locks, they are not secure, and 'management company' is looking into it (don't have more details on this--seems suspicious).
(8) She asks manager to look further into it
(9) Offered 25k points which she refused (at this juncture not about points)
(10) Moved into new room at her request/insistance
(11) She calls front desk a couple hours later, the day manager has left with no followup, and did not talk to anyone coming on

I suggested pushing the issue and demanding security look into any and all tapes available, though she is not seeing camera on floors or elevators. She will also contact manager in the morning and then Marriott corporate (she is Plat Elite if that makes it easier to get someone to listen). It really bothers us that they would put her in a room and then admit the locks are 'not secure.'

What else would you do? The innocent explanation is the likeliest--the front desk checked someone else in to the room or management company was working on locks. However, you can't be sure, and it is disturbing and violating at the same time.

Thanks for the input!
I was staying at a suburban Chicago Marriott at the end of June. Several service problems caused me to complain and hotel changed my room. I put the DND sign out, went to my meetings, came back and the hotel had left me an amenity. They had ignored the DND and entered the room to leave it. So, another complaint and I pointed out that this was a teaching moment: evidently their staff is more task oriented (drop off the amenity) than guest oriented (heed the DND and leave a message in the guest's room that an amenity is waiting at the front desk). GM was very apologetic.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:06 am
PGV

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
Many business travelers are now investing in a portable travel security camera, "
I use and recommend an Android app called Alfred. It uses the camera function of one or more cell phone(s) to monitor/capture audio and video and send it to a second cell phone, so long as they are both connected to the internet. The app is free and if you have an old cell phone lying around, it can be a very good on-the-road, portable security solution. If you're nervous about entering your room just pull up the app and check the room before entering. You could even use one (or more) at home to monitor events while you're away.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PGV
I use and recommend an Android app called Alfred. It uses the camera function of one or more cell phone(s) to monitor/capture audio and video and send it to a second cell phone, so long as they are both connected to the internet. The app is free and if you have an old cell phone lying around, it can be a very good on-the-road, portable security solution. If you're nervous about entering your room just pull up the app and check the room before entering. You could even use one (or more) at home to monitor events while you're away.
Do you need to be paying for service on the old cell phone?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm sure you do if you're using cellular data but not wifi.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hhoope01
That's not completely true. Threads asking for help provide future information/help for others searching for similar situations. And providing more information (i.e. the property in question), can benefit other FTers.

With that said, I know of no rule/requirement that forces a poster to provide extra information. Just like there isn't any rule/requirement that anyone has to reply to a request for help if full information disclosure is not provided.

So the OP doesn't have to provide anything more, but having more information will usually provide more benefit to other FTers.
Agreed. Plus, I am beginning to doubt the OP's story. I've never been in a hotel where the doors did not close automatically. So much vagueness....just spill the beans already.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta, United
I once returned to my room about 10pm and found the door open. Nothing was missing. I needed to get some ice. Upon my return my key card did not work. I went down to the front desk. The person there said I had checked out - I said no my reservation was for the week which they confirmed. He could not do much other than restore my key card.

In the morning I went down to the front desk to straighten things out. They admitted the screw up was their fault. I had one more night there so they comped it.

As for the door. Seems they gave my room to someone else who upon seeing it was occupied, left it as is, along with the door open. No one from the front desk went up to investigate. For that I chewed them out.

As for the OP, I would just kick it up to the head of the hotel such issue leaves little confidence in safety.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'm sure you do if you're using cellular data but not wifi.
I watched this presentation about Alfred.
Two different systems are discussed. Alfred starts after 4:30.

It appears you do not need service on either phone if you are running it on WiFi. You run one phone as a camera and another as a receiver. The two devices can have different internet connections, so I assume you can run the camera on your home system, without service, and receive on your other phone through your service or through an internet connection.

I already have cameras in my house that can be remotely accessed, but I am going to try this anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Seems they gave my room to someone else who upon seeing it was occupied, left it as is, along with the door open.
This happened to me, but I was the one given the key. Were you in the Greensboro Downtown Marriott about thirteen years ago?

This was back when there was a welcome gift left in the room. It was usually something like a box of chocolates. I entered the room and there was a brand new iPod in an open box on the bed, which I thought was the greatest welcome gift ever. As I looked around, I saw more sway, then clothes, then realized the shower was on. I hightailed it out of there and went down the hall to the CL. The Concierge (miss her) and I called the front desk. They said they'd be up with the correct key. In the meantime. the guy who had been in the shower was now dressed. He (a dentist) and his boyfriend somehow knew their key no longer worked and were also waiting to get new keys. They were pi**ed. He was going on and on, rightfully so, about the stranger in his room while he was in the shower, not knowing that I was the one who went in and was sitting right there, nor that the Concierge, Miss *** also knew I was the one in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.