Wiki Posts
Search

Thank you Marriott!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AMEX, MARRIOTT, ANA, UAL, CHASE
Thank you Marriott!!!

Been a longtime platinum who has enjoyed the Marriott brand worldwide for the past several years. This past summer I experienced the most incredible act of kindness and generosity from the Marriott family.

For the past five years we've hosted a summer basketball camp in China. Our China sponsors put on the event in Wuhan and Shenzhen and we bring 45 American coaches and high school players to China for 18 days each July. It's a great opportunity for the Americans to share their love of basketball with the youth of China and learn about an amazing country and culture.

This year, three days before departure I received an email from the sponsor that the Wuhan camp was going to be cancelled due to some governmental issues. They wanted me to tell 22 coaches and students that their summer trip to China was going to be cancelled. Many of these students came from lower income families and were only able to go to China through hard work fundraising and from sponsors. There is no way I could let these kids down.

So I did what any crazy Marriott Platinum member would have done... I emailed the CEO (Mr. Arne Sorenson). I figured that the chance my email would be read was about 1% and acted upon about .01%. I had about 24 hours to notify the airline Cathay Pacific what are plan was and the clock was ticking.

Luckily our flights all routed from LAX-Hong Kong - Wuhan, so Cathay let us cancel the back end of the flight. Thus all 45 of us were going to be in Shenzhen, I just needed a place for the 22 people from the Wuhan group to stay for 18 days.

Well, 20 hours after my email to Mr. Sorenson, I received an email from the Area VP for South China (Mr. Helgen) who informed me "We are reviewing your request and we will come back to you very soon." Hmmm, I thought, my email was read by someone important...there was hope!

We were now 48 hours until the group was to depart and I still didn't have anything firm lined up...until I received the NEXT email about 12 hours later... "Dear Mr. XXXX, I am pleased to announce that the GM of the JW Shenzhen Bao'an and GM of Marriott Nanshan have collaborated and found a solution to accommodate your group."

Wow, was all I could say. My prayers had come true and the next thing I know I'm emailing with two of the greatest guys ever, the GM's of both hotels, Mr. Cheng and Mr. Tse and they are offering us 12 rooms for our 18 days in Shenzhen, split among the two hotels with unbelievably delicious buffet breakfasts included.

So not only did we receive complimentary rooms, we received rooms at two of the finest hotels in Shenzhen (Marriott Nanshan is ranked #1 on Trip Advisor and JW is ranked #8 ). Not only are these two of the top hotels in Shenzhen, but probably the two nicest hotels that any of the kids and coaches in our group have ever stayed at and comparable with any top hotel in the world!!! Take a look at them online and if you are ever in Shenzhen, I highly recommend staying at either spot. Both are incredible.

There are no words that can explain how thankful we all were. Travelling the world is so important for many of us on this forum and when we can share the gift of travel with students it's even more gratifying. To have a huge company like Marriott give our students the opportunity like they did is unbelievable and we are forever grateful. With all of the craziness in the world today any time we can bring the youth of the world together with a common love (Basketball) it undoubtedly will strengthen our understanding of the world around us.

Basketball is truly a global game and thank you to Marriott for helping us share our love with the students of China.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Very nice of Marriott to come through.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well done Marriott! Glad it worked out!

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Too many
That's awesome! ^ to Marriott for making this something I'm sure the kids will remember for the rest of their lives.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

great job by Marriott and glad the camp went through!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:45 am

Wow!

Kudos to Marriott for being so generous and you for not giving up. Nice to read a good news story amongst all the whiney unappreciative threads :P
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by icebox425
Wow!

Kudos to Marriott for being so generous and you for not giving up. Nice to read a good news story amongst all the whiney unappreciative threads :P
+1 Kudos to both you and Marriott. It is definitely very nice to read some positive news.

--Jon
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by 1dream
This year, three days before departure I received an email from the sponsor that the Wuhan camp was going to be cancelled due to some governmental issues.
So a private corporation, was able to fix "some governmental issues" such as visas, that Marriott was able to grease?

Or was it a financial or lodging issue with sponsor Marriott was able to contribute to?

An amazing story for sure but some details needed.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by joshua362
So a private corporation, was able to fix "some governmental issues" such as visas, that Marriott was able to grease?

Or was it a financial or lodging issue with sponsor Marriott was able to contribute to?

An amazing story for sure but some details needed.
Doesn't sound like either, sounds like one location was canceled and those participants transferred to the second location but due to short notice OP had trouble finding lodging which Marriott helped with
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:04 pm

Wow, that is incredible. What an amazing gesture!

Thank you for sharing, and thank you so much for organizing these trips! Travel is wonderful, and it's wonderful to be able share the experience with others. Travel is an eye-opening experience on its own, but when you take others, it can be so much more rewarding.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

What a great post. Well done Marriott, well done Marriott China, and well done you for reaching out. Your post really touched me. It really speaks well of Marriott for doing this simply for the good of it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Just simply generosity, love, compassion,...great story
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by 3furballs
Doesn't sound like either, sounds like one location was canceled and those participants transferred to the second location but due to short notice OP had trouble finding lodging which Marriott helped with
Except:

Originally Posted by 1dream
This year, three days before departure I received an email from the sponsor that the Wuhan camp was going to be cancelled due to some governmental issues. They wanted me to tell 22 coaches and students that their summer trip to China was going to be cancelled. Many of these students came from lower income families and were only able to go to China through hard work fundraising and from sponsors. There is no way I could let these kids down.
Would like to understand the full story although it does appear suddenly getting complimentary lodging fixed things immensely!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
What a great gesture from Marriott, it sounds like!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:14 pm

Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.