Search

Corporate Rate and Wedding Blocks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Corporate Rate and Wedding Blocks

Two-part question:

I am going to a wedding in a couple weeks and staying at a Courtyard where the bride & groom have made a room block.

First part of my question: In researching, I noticed that my legitimate corporate rate is lower than their negotiated rate (and the general rates) so I booked using that. I've used my corporate code on personal stays several times before and have never had an issue, however the person at the hotel who I spoke to on the phone (although very nice) acted like she was doing me a favor by allowing me to stay on the corporate rate for a personal stay. Has anyone else ever had an issue with that (yes I realize it may depend on what the code is for)?

Second part of my question: The reason I called to begin with was to see if I could have my reservation counted as part of their block for minimums, etc. However they told me I couldn't do that which I was very surprised by...am I wrong in thinking that that was a reasonable request (at worst I thought if they had only the minimum # of rooms they would just have to pay the difference between my rate and their group rate)?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Without knowing the limitation on employer's corporate rate, there is no way to tell you whether the agent was doing you a favor. If the rate permits its use for non-business travel, she wasn't doing you a favor. If it does not, she was assisting in your fraud. Only you know the answer.

2. Whether your room ought to count against the room block is a matter of the contract the wedding party signed. If it required that the room be blocked at a given rate code, that is the end of it because you did not book at that rate (even if it is the same). The only way to get an answer is to speak with the wedding planner and I suspect that you won't like the answer.

Have to ask yourself whether the savings to you are worth the cost to them (if they don't make the block).
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I had my wedding at a Marriott. Only rooms booked at our negotiated rate counted towards any 'minimum' .. which luckily for me was zero, since plenty of people stayed on points or other rates and in the end we only had a handful of nights count.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

None of the hotels in which I worked would have allowed a guest to stay on a corporate rate and be counted as part of a group block. You couldn't have it both ways. That policy was due to system limitations, accounting issues, and the way different market segments are tracked.

I get why an outsider might see this as illogical. But, most businesses probably have policies that don't seem to make sense unless you see how they affect operations.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
None of the hotels in which I worked would have allowed a guest to stay on a corporate rate and be counted as part of a group block. You couldn't have it both ways. That policy was due to system limitations, accounting issues, and the way different market segments are tracked.

I get why an outsider might see this as illogical. But, most businesses probably have policies that don't seem to make sense unless you see how they affect operations.
I get it, but it seems the reasons you stated were more technicalities and not necessarily "having it both ways." The purpose of the room block was to get people attending the wedding to stay at the hotel, as well as to negotiate a decent rate. The only reason I'm staying at the hotel is due to the wedding, I just happen to be able to get a better rate without needing their negotiated rate.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GoPhils
The purpose of the room block was to get people attending the wedding to stay at the hotel, as well as to negotiate a decent rate. The only reason I'm staying at the hotel is due to the wedding, I just happen to be able to get a better rate without needing their negotiated rate.
The hotel is expecting a certain revenue from the block. By undercutting this price, the hotel gets less revenue, therefore the wedding block is not meeting its contractual obligation.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where the hotel might do someone a favor is to permit the corp rate when the hotel is sold out except for the room block.

I tend to use other cheaper rates that I'm eligible to use when possible if I'm paying personally (or if my employer is reimbursing me when it's a conference room block and the conference itself isn't paying for my room). I'll also book individually if possible in order to make sure that I get my elite benefits and nights/stay credit and so that I don't get into issues where the hotel wants to ask the organizer whether I should be granted a late checkout or upgrade. I figure I shouldn't be expected to pay more so that the organizers, meeting planner, or organization's officers get more points, my upgrades, and other perks. If they're not paying, it's simply a business transaction between the hotel and myself.

BTW, some of these organizers seem to be terrible negotiators. The rates and other conditions of some room blocks can be truly bad and not at all competitive.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
I get it, but it seems the reasons you stated were more technicalities and not necessarily "having it both ways." The purpose of the room block was to get people attending the wedding to stay at the hotel, as well as to negotiate a decent rate. The only reason I'm staying at the hotel is due to the wedding, I just happen to be able to get a better rate without needing their negotiated rate.
It wasn't a judgment. Technically, you can't have it both ways. Either you are in the wedding block or you're not.

As mahasamatman notes, not being in the wedding block may have consequences for the wedding couple. Contractually, they may lose perks or pay more if they don't meet a minimum number of guest rooms.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I used to do this type of thing frequently. The two companies I worked for were among the largest on the planet. I would speak at a conference but our negotiated rate would be less than the conference rate, so I'd book our rate.

One caution: sometimes the conference organizer would see me on a list or ask if I had a reservation or something. The rate would be flipped to the higher conference rate. I was never clear who actually did this, but I would always check my rate when checking in and would see the discrepancy. As a company, we had made the decision to pay the conference rate when this happened so as to not argue with our customer, but check your rate carefully when you check in if you don't want to pay the higher rate. Once, at the Montgomery Ren, it was an over $100 difference. Fortunately I didn't say anything. The conference organization picked up the hotel bill.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As others have noted, you can't have it both ways. Either book the wedding block & help your friends meet their block rate or block your corp rate (and don't mention the wedding at all).

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.