Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
No lounges are there to provide guests with dinner

Originally Posted by troydwhite
We stayed at the Milan Marriott over Christmas and into the new year once. Lounge didn’t provide breakfast or dinner, but it was always open for drinks and snacks (this may be unique to the Milan Marriott). They provided breakfast in the restaurant plus evening vouchers for an appetizer (and I think a drink) at the bar.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
That may be technically true, as they only advertise "appetizers and dessert" or some such, but I've certainly made dinner out of them at MANY concierge lounges.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Great
Just let me know where and when I can order my prime rib medium along with a baked potato with butter only.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That may be technically true, as they only advertise "appetizers and dessert" or some such, but I've certainly made dinner out of them at MANY concierge lounges.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I've certainly made dinner out of them at MANY concierge lounges.
I did exactly that at the Renaissance Zürich last week.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:02 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I did exactly that at the Renaissance Zürich last week.
I did same at the Sydney CQ Marriott. So did all of the families staying there with their children, Lots of families of 4 or more.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by voweffekt
So I booked a Marriott hotel in a city with a couple of options, primarily because I thought I would have lounge access to work in, have coffee and beverages, breakfast and snacks as it gets pretty good reviews.
When I arrive I'm informed that I've been "upgraded to the concierge level" due to my Platinum status. I always get a bit worried when they say that access to the lounge is an "upgrade" though it is part of the terms of being Platinum.
Then the front desk associate says "Unfortunately, since we don't have many guests booked right now, the lounge is closed. You can have a continental breakfast in our restaurant, though."
Since the room was pre-paid, the associate said I had no option but to take it. I asked about an upgrade to a larger room and was told "The suites are not available".
Also, water in the room was $5 / bottle. I asked for a free bottle at the front desk and was reluctantly given a bottle that they had a case of. It seems odd and I probably would have stayed elsewhere and saved some money if I had known they closed their lounge due to the low traffic.

Anyone want to guess as to what was going on?
Would it be possible to post information like this on the hotel web site to alert guests?

V
Probably the one main feature of Marriott that draws my business is the lounges. I generally do not book properties without lounges.

My hotel tomorrow is closing its lounge at 1pm. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for extra bottled water or soft drinks to make up for the closed lounge. I probably wouldn't go as far as to ask for anything more such as a F&B credit unless the closing interfered with a substantive F&B offering in the lounge.
unclepants likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
At most US properties this is true, but outside the US it is often very easy to make a dinner out of the lounge offerings.

Great
Just let me know where and when I can order my prime rib medium along with a baked potato with butter only.
There is a big difference between making a dinner out of the buffet options, and being able to order a la carte. Though several European lounges I have been to allows you to order from the main restaurant, at a charge though. But then you get free wine, beers and cocktails with your steak at least.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Great

Keraton at the Plaza in Jakarta. Order off the restaurant menu twice a day.
voweffekt likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Great
How good is your imagination or are you susceptible to hypnotic suggestions? There have been many restaurants where I made my dinner solely from their appetizer menu (poor man's tapas bar).
voweffekt likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
A decent hotel will provide an alternative amenity of they close the lounge unexpectedly. In fact once I had a concierge level room booked when they decided to close the lounge and my booking clearly confirmed 'lounge access'. After some arguing w/ the FD manager we got vouchers for drinks/food at the bar.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VA1379
I always ask if the concierge lounge is open when booking rooms at this time of the year. Many DC area hotels will close the lounge around Christmas and New Years, but some properties like the Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park have kept them open during this holiday season.
Last time I stayed at this hotel (Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park) the lounge was closed for the holiday week. This was maybe 8 years ago. Maybe they changed it. But it is worth calling any Marriott hotel about the Lounge in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Great

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis is one that serves a meal. When the lounge moved down from the 18th floor to a curtained off section of the 2nd floor restaurant - the food service for evening is a buffet of salad, entrée item, potato item, vegetable item - plus the normal cheese, veggies, etc. Later they moved the restaurant to the first floor and converted the entire 2nd floor restaurant to the lounge. This seems to be a trend at many larger Marriott properties that seem to get lots of Elites. Sydney CQ - same thing.

I think doing this (serving bdffet dinner) keeps the kitchen staff busy.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:57 pm

Marriott Vancouver Pinnacle lounge is operating limited hours (breakfast only then closing at 1pm daily) during a two week period due to the holidays. The hotel didn't preemptively offer anything but when I expressed disappointment they happily filled my mini fridge with complimentary refreshments from the lounge and provided two fruit plates.Fruit plates made up for missing the hors d'oeurves
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I just got 750 points this morning after finding the lounge closed (continental breakfast for two OR any breakfast entree free at the restaurant OR $10 credit in the snack market area also offered). I guess they don't get many business travelers coming in on New Years Day.

This is honestly the first time I've run into a closed lounge. The compensation seemed pretty reasonable, though I think they were supposed to have proactively offered it last night when I checked in.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cova
Last time I stayed at this hotel (Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park) the lounge was closed for the holiday week. This was maybe 8 years ago. Maybe they changed it. But it is worth calling any Marriott hotel about the Lounge in advance.
I was at this property in December before Christmas. My room rate was only $60, but the hotel was full due to a large wedding party the Sunday before Christmas. The restaurant was slammed for breakfast that Sunday. It is a lot more busy there than five years ago.

I asked about the concierge lounge, and they said it would be open for New Years and Christmas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.