Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The renaissance in Bangkok closed it's lounge during and after the government protests in the parking lot. Occupancy was way down. Breakfast was offered in the restaurant, the breakfast is awesome. In addition, they delivered snacks into my room and never charged me for a bottle of water or other drinks.

OT, this response was spoken into my phone. The phone originally typed out that the snacks were delivered into my womb, not my room. Just thought I'd share. Aside from my being male, I am trying to picture how snacks are delivered into a womb.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kevin01
Came back from my evening work commitment at around 9pm local. Exited elevator and noticed lounge was dark and closed. Had a phone call and went to the room for the night. When I went down at 7am for breakast, lounge still dark and closed, so I went down the to the front desk. Was told the hotel is only 18 percent full and they closed the lounge due to low occupancy. Said I was only 1 of 5 guests that were Plat or above, so didn't figure they were inconveniencing anyone. Offered me breakfast in the restaurant (and then was told the buffet was not open due to low occupancy...fine by me, as I got an omelette). Mentioned I should have complained last night and they would have allowed me to get an appetizer in the bar.
This has happened to me at the Marriott in Pontiac/Auburn Hills/Bloomfield Hills (depending on your definition of where it is actually is).

This is an older property, but has good service, great rates and a gorgeous new M Club. Twice now the new M Club has had the breakfast service moved to the restaurant due to low occupancy rates. With the old concierge lounge I'd understand (somewhat), but it kind of defeats the purpose of the M Club, at least to the extent of my understanding of the M Club concept.

One time they didn't tell me, the next time they did.

If a full-service hotel doesn't have consistent occupancy to keep a concierge lounge or M Club open then it shouldn't have one. Period.

That would be like closing the fitness center or the pool, particularly with the M Club as many hotels now sell non-elite guests access to the lounge.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One of the problems is that many of the fourteen hotels included on the list are huge, so that they constitute a bigger fraction of Marriotts with lounges in the USA in terms of room count. For example, the downtown Philadelphia Marriott (which used to be on the list) is a really big convention hotel with two towers and probably a couple thousand rooms. San Diego, Boston, and New Orleans, for example, are similar.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
OT, this response was spoken into my phone. The phone originally typed out that the snacks were delivered into my womb, not my room. Just thought I'd share. Aside from my being male, I am trying to picture how snacks are delivered into a womb.
Should make an interesting thread for OMNI...LOL. The Match.com thread regulars can perhaps provide several examples.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Has anyone ever come across this? Maybe I've been fortunate, but as a Plat Premier for more than a decade I've never had a lounge close on me midweek. Checked in to Renaissance on Thursday at 4pm.
Which Renaissance?

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which Renaissance?

Cheers.
Renaissance Phoenix Glendale
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Renaissance Phoenix Glendale
Thanks. Sounds like one to cross off the list.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Lounge Closed due to Lack of Guests

So I booked a Marriott hotel in a city with a couple of options, primarily because I thought I would have lounge access to work in, have coffee and beverages, breakfast and snacks as it gets pretty good reviews.
When I arrive I'm informed that I've been "upgraded to the concierge level" due to my Platinum status. I always get a bit worried when they say that access to the lounge is an "upgrade" though it is part of the terms of being Platinum.
Then the front desk associate says "Unfortunately, since we don't have many guests booked right now, the lounge is closed. You can have a continental breakfast in our restaurant, though."
Since the room was pre-paid, the associate said I had no option but to take it. I asked about an upgrade to a larger room and was told "The suites are not available".
Also, water in the room was $5 / bottle. I asked for a free bottle at the front desk and was reluctantly given a bottle that they had a case of. It seems odd and I probably would have stayed elsewhere and saved some money if I had known they closed their lounge due to the low traffic.

Anyone want to guess as to what was going on?
Would it be possible to post information like this on the hotel web site to alert guests?

V
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Not that this is an excuse, but closing the lounge around Christmas and New Year's is very common at many hotels. They have been doing this for years.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Not that this is an excuse, but closing the lounge around Christmas and New Year's is very common at many hotels. They have been doing this for years.
Fair enough.. but is that not listed upon booking? It didn't seem like it was a planned event. I remember seeing that the lounge closing listed at booking for a Boston property a while back.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I had to stay in Boston the week before Christmas. My usual choice, the Renaissance Waterfront clearly stated on the booking page that the lounge was closed for almost a month over the holidays, including the dates of my stay. I chose the Marriott Long Wharf because they also clearly listed the lounge closure dates, but it wasn't going to close until the last day of my stay. Lo and behold, a couple of days before my stay they updated the language (though didn't send an e-mail or anything else proactive) to say that the lounge was already closed and would be through April to be converted to an M Club lounge. I was already within the cancellation penalty window so was pretty much stuck, but I was relatively happy with how the hotel handled it. At check-in I got coupons for the full breakfast buffet every day including tax and gratuity, and for a free appetizer each night at the lobby bar. Now the free appetizers turned out to be TINY, but I still appreciated the gesture.
voweffekt likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I always ask if the concierge lounge is open when booking rooms at this time of the year. Many DC area hotels will close the lounge around Christmas and New Years, but some properties like the Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park have kept them open during this holiday season.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Lounges were closed at my stays this week. I happens every year. Breakfast buffet for the family, appetizer at the restaurant in the evening for the family - I was OK with it.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:03 pm

When this has happened to me I was provided with full breakfast in the restaurant and $20 food credit per night.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
We stayed at the Milan Marriott over Christmas and into the new year once. Lounge didn’t provide breakfast or dinner, but it was always open for drinks and snacks (this may be unique to the Milan Marriott). They provided breakfast in the restaurant plus evening vouchers for an appetizer (and I think a drink) at the bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.