Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Out of the 900 FS properties where one is guaranteed lounge access or free breakfast, only 14 are exempt from the weekend policy & offer 1,000 points instead. Yes, the San Diego Marquis is one of the 14 & is listed as such in the exec lounge sticky.

Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekend

The 750 points is an elite's option - choose breakfast or take the 750 points. That's different than the 14 properties of 1,000 points only & no breakfast.

It's unfortunate your 1,000 points/day didn't post, but a quick call to Marriott CS will get them posted easily.

The 14 where it's 1,000 points only on the weekend & no breakfast.

* Boston Marriott Copley Place
* Boston Marriott Long Wharf
* Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
* JW Marriott Washington, DC
* The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
* JW San Francisco Union Square
* JW Marriott Essex House, New York City
* JW Marriott New Orleans
* New York Marriott Marquis
* The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
* Renaissance New York Hotel 57
* Renaissance New York Times Square
* San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
* Monterey Marriott

Cheers.
How do these properties get exempted?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:03 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
How do these properties get exempted?
My guess would be:

1. The hotel has been within the Marriott fold for a very long period of time dating to before Marriott merged all their various chain programs into the current Marriott Rewards. And the Marriott/hotel agreement didn't allow Marriott to change the rules on the hotel. Thus the hotel didn't have to offer free breakfast and Marriott couldn't easily force them to.

2. Marriott really wanted to have these particular hotels under its flag even though the hotel management (for whatever reasons they had) didn't want to provide free breakfast to Gold/Plat elites. Marriott decided it was worth having this hotel without forcing them to provide free breakfast and offering elites a different benefit instead (small amount of points.)

I'd guess if these exclusions were causing widespread movement away from Marriott Rewards in general or these hotels in specific, then we'd see the hotel start offering the free breakfast benefit. The fact that most haven't changed would leave me to conclude that it must not have much of a hit against Marriott's program or the hotel.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Fred 3
Has anyone ever experienced this before. I checked into a Marriott tonight -- Thursday night, only to be told, sorry, due to low occupancy this week, we have closed the lounge the entire week. I know its 4th of July week, but there are several work days this week, and to close the lounge just seems wrong.

The hotel offered an appetizer and breakfast, but I just found it lame to close the lounge. Am I being unrealistic?

Hotel was Burlington Mass Marriott.
For Michigan hotels:

The flagship Marriott in Livonia closes its lounge Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday. Rooms are not marketed as having lounge access when it's closed. The hotel, however, provides a coupon for a full breakfast buffet (it's decent for a domestic U.S. buffet) and a coupon valued at $12 off any menu item (one per person). Most of the time they won't charge you for a Pepsi out of the gift shop. That's a decent compromise, in my opinion.

By contrast, Marriott in Dearborn, by Greenfield Village, sells "concierge level" rooms for $40 more than a regular room on a weekend, but doesn't open the lounge nor provide anything.

The Marriott in Auburn Hills also sells "M Club lounge access" rooms at the weekend for $20 more than a normal room. While open 24/7 with coffee and pop, sometimes the hotel doesn't offer breakfast in the lounge if occupancy is low. It also never offers any evening services over the weekend even though the room rate description doesn't exclude weekends from the list of what is offered in the M Club.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've reported as bait and switch to State Attorneys General offices in a couple states.
That reminds of the time I *almost* wanted to go Angry Nerd and start writing letters when my "Champagne Package" offering was actually some crappy sparkling wine you'd get at a gas station. (And not one grandfathered in to the "California Champagne" label.)

Originally Posted by hhoope01
2. Marriott really wanted to have these particular hotels under its flag even though the hotel management (for whatever reasons they had) didn't want to provide free breakfast to Gold/Plat elites. Marriott decided it was worth having this hotel without forcing them to provide free breakfast and offering elites a different benefit instead (small amount of points.).
I wish Marriott would call their bluff if this is the case. Hilton doesn't hand out random exemptions like this. I know way less about Hyatt, but I haven't heard their members here on FT talk about it. SPG, pre-merger, had hotels that opted out of promos quite often...but not out of elite benefits at the property.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'd guess if these exclusions were causing widespread movement away from Marriott Rewards in general or these hotels in specific, then we'd see the hotel start offering the free breakfast benefit. The fact that most haven't changed would leave me to conclude that it must not have much of a hit against Marriott's program or the hotel.
There's no way to measure that. It will hurt the brand more than any particular hotel. That's the problem with allowing high demand properties to "opt-out" of program benefits - the property doesn't care, but it devalues the program overall, and savvy travelers take that into consideration when selecting a program.

Originally Posted by pinniped
I wish Marriott would call their bluff if this is the case. Hilton doesn't hand out random exemptions like this. I know way less about Hyatt, but I haven't heard their members here on FT talk about it. SPG, pre-merger, had hotels that opted out of promos quite often...but not out of elite benefits at the property.
Agreed.

Hyatt doesn't exempt anyone from the breakfast benefit, although a very small number of properties (e.g., Hyatt Union Square) do game it. But that's only in the context of the Hyatt program - they provide a $25 per person credit, which in the Marriott or SPG program would be considered very generous.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
That reminds of the time I *almost* wanted to go Angry Nerd and start writing letters when my "Champagne Package" offering was actually some crappy sparkling wine you'd get at a gas station. (And not one grandfathered in to the "California Champagne" label.)
Quite a few Marriott hotels offer a special package with champagne. They never disclose whether it's real champagne, however.

Actually. This reminds me. I always check every tab at booking, as sometimes special packages or member rates are a good bargain. I've come across a couple of properties offering $25 or $50 dinner credit plus bonus points for only $15 more than the general rate. That's a deal.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Whether we like it or not, Marriott has had the 14 property exemptions for the last few years for no breakfast on the weekends ( the lounge at each is open during the week). It's nothing new. The properties exempted are listed in the exec lounge sticky.

In fairness to Marriott, they actually list the properties on their website in the T&Cs so they're not hiding it. Still sucks, though. Having said that, some of the cities I'd rather go out to a local diner & get a good brekkie cheap than deal w/ a lounge brekkie.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:00 pm

I disagree, it used to say the option was 1K points if closed during the weekend. Not that language has changed.

Interesting I am looking at a hotel now that is selling concierge floor rooms during the weekend, but adds this:

Please Note – Concierge Lounge closed 12noon Fri to 5:30pm Sun. Platinum/Gold Elite guests offered 1000 points for each closed day.

It does NOT address what happens if the lounge is closed for HOLIDAY or b/c they want to do it.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
It does NOT address what happens if the lounge is closed for HOLIDAY or b/c they want to do it.
My assumption is they'll do brekkie in the restaurant or offer 750 points (if the holiday is not on a weekend). The 1,000 points exemption is only for weekends.

Before everyone gets bent out of shape on 'hypotheticals' (holidays for the 14 properties), I'd like to see real examples before jumping up/down, but that's just me.

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:51 am

I wish what your assumption is was what Marriott rules said, however they have now changed from weekend to when the lounge is closed. I don't think that was an accident.

Interesting that Starwood doesn't make this exception list. You are better off staying at SPG with Plat status in these cities.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I wish what your assumption is was what Marriott rules said, however they have now changed from weekend to when the lounge is closed. I don't think that was an accident.
Actually I think it's always been when the lounge is closed in the T&Cs or there isn't a lounge, not just weekends. We'd have to find the announcement/T&Cs from a few years ago.

Found it:

"Starting June 22, 2013 in the US & Canada, Gold, Platinum & Platinum Premier elites will receive continental breakfast daily in the executive lounge.

For each day (not stay) the lounge is closed, these members will have the option of breakfast for 2 in the Restaurant or 750 points (1,000 points in select locations). The same applies if there is no lounge at a JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance or Marriott Hotel.

In Europe, hotels without a lounge offer a choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points daily (change as of July 2014)"

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
For Michigan hotels:

The flagship Marriott in Livonia closes its lounge Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday. Rooms are not marketed as having lounge access when it's closed. The hotel, however, provides a coupon for a full breakfast buffet (it's decent for a domestic U.S. buffet) and a coupon valued at $12 off any menu item (one per person). Most of the time they won't charge you for a Pepsi out of the gift shop. That's a decent compromise, in my opinion.
I didn't realize that Livonia was any kind of flagship. I've never been there, but I'll be there this Saturday as part of my MegaBonus "sleeping around" strategy.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I didn't realize that Livonia was any kind of flagship. I've never been there, but I'll be there this Saturday as part of my MegaBonus "sleeping around" strategy.
By flagship, I meant the Marriott brand itself as opposed to other brands like J.W. Marriott or Renaissance in the vast Marriott portfolio.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, National EE
Lounge closed due to low occupancy

Has anyone ever come across this? Maybe I've been fortunate, but as a Plat Premier for more than a decade I've never had a lounge close on me midweek.

Checked in to Renaissance on Thursday at 4pm. Given a room two floors below concierge (I have high floor on profile). Kindly asked to be moved to the lounge floor since I often do morning work and appreciate the walk to the lounge (coffee) vs using the elevator. Told they are fully booked on the lounge floor. I mentioned my status and told them I'm not particular about bed type if that helps. Offered a king next to the elevator. Declined. Manager came out and offered a room with two beds (only one left on the floor)...said that's fine.

Came back from my evening work commitment at around 9pm local. Exited elevator and noticed lounge was dark and closed. Had a phone call and went to the room for the night. When I went down at 7am for breakast, lounge still dark and closed, so I went down the to the front desk. Was told the hotel is only 18 percent full and they closed the lounge due to low occupancy. Said I was only 1 of 5 guests that were Plat or above, so didn't figure they were inconveniencing anyone. Offered me breakfast in the restaurant (and then was told the buffet was not open due to low occupancy...fine by me, as I got an omelette). Mentioned I should have complained last night and they would have allowed me to get an appetizer in the bar.

I was pretty upset at the end of the day. I booked the full service property over better locations because of the lounge benefits. I was not notified upon check in that it would be closed...in fact, you could argue I was misled when being told that we are fully booked on the lounge floor (FWIW, I have not seen one person on this floor outside of a maid in 24 hours). If told it was closed, I would've likely went to a different hotel with a better location/rate. I suggested if this is a common practice, it should be mentioned to the guest at check in. And if it "only inconvenienced 5 guests" I would suggest a note/app voucher under the door or at least a phone call/VM to the room so I wouldn't be caught by surprise upon returning to the hotel.

It's the little things that count in a case like this given the amount of business I have given this property, and Marriott. I was offered 5k points after a long discussion with the MOD, but my issues with the policy/procedures stand. I was planning on running a company meeting here in October, but will choose another location after this experience.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
That indeed sounds like a poorly-run hotel. What they should have done is be proactive about telling those 5 guests (plus however many golds, who also should have had access to the lounge) at check-in and made it up to them with vouchers for apps and breakfast in the restaurant. While it's not quite the same as a lounge, it would at least show an attitude towards making things right rather than keeping their heads down and hoping no one would notice.

What's especially galling is that you had to deal with a manager to get a room that met with your approval on the lounge floor--that would have been a perfect time (since they didn't notify you before) for them to let you know the lounge would actually be closed so being on the same floor wouldn't offer any real benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.