Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Mena House (near pyramids), Cairo, Egypt [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
6/4/21

Some current e-mail addresses:

Guest relations - [email protected]

Front office - frontoffice.menahouse@marriott,com

Personal e-mail for a guest relations rep - [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:55 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

We stayed at the Mena House decades ago and found the location magical, overlooking the pyramids. I just learned that Marriott has signed a contract to manage the hotel.

The JW Marriott has signed a hotel management contract with the Egyptian General Company for Tourism and Hotels (EGOTH) to manage the Mena House Hotel, JW Marriott Hotel Cairo General Manager Magdy Naguib told Al Borsa. The property is split between an historic palace and an attached modern hotel building. Hotel renovations will be completed within days, he added, while the palace will be shut down for two-to-three years for renovations.

If I interpret that properly, the hotel side should open quickly under the Marriott banner but the historic side will be closed. I did not find it showing up yet on the Marriott website.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:57 pm

is it even safe to travel to that location? walk around the city? walk around the pyramids? if memory serves, a female could have issues but im not sure if that is all still current.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For the next few years, one would be picking the Mena Hotel for its location only until the palace building reopens after the renovations.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
At http://news.marriott.com/p/jw-marriott/

"400-room JW Marriott Cairo Mena House, Egypt (2018)"
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
is it even safe to travel to that location? walk around the city? walk around the pyramids? if memory serves, a female could have issues but im not sure if that is all still current.
Definitely safe around the pyramids. Dealing with the endless stream of touts will be annoying but not dangerous.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
My wife and I visited back in 2008 (week in Cairo and a week in sharm el sheikh). We felt very safe walking around everywhere (two obvious Americans, but people assumed we were Russians). It has gone downhill since, so, you assume more risks nowadays.

The locals trying to sell trinkets, food, camel rides, souvenirs, maps, etc. at the pyramids were quite annoying yet comical to watch. Pyramids and Egyptian museum should be fine to visit. Luxor and Karnak should be OK as well.

Yeah, we enjoyed the camel ride around the pyramids!!!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Now online and bookable as Marriott Mena House, Cairo: Marriott Mena House, Cairo: Cairo hotel accommodations

MR Cat 3.

khabah
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I went to Cairo three years ago. I stayed at the Le Méridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa, which was near the pyramids. It was clean and the staff were great. If I recall, smoking was everywhere. It did have a very nice pool.

Honestly, I don't know if I would stay in this area again because there wasn't that much to do in and around Giza. Giza wasn't very convenient for the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, either.

The Giza pyramids had a few tourists, but I went on day trips to a couple of pyramids further out and there was nobody there except for me, my hotel driver and the security guard with an AK-47.

Expect to pay bribes, everywhere. From the taxi driver asking for extra money to the security at the pyramids to the airport security demanding a bribe to get inside the terminal. $5 generally worked.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 8, 2018 at 6:47 am
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I went on day trips to a couple of pyramids further out and there was nobody there except for me, my hotel driver and the security guard with an AK-47.
This was one of the highlights of our trip to Egypt. We had a cabbie take us down to Saqqara, where there were five or ten total tourists, and then Dahshur, where we were literally the only ones there other than a couple of guards.

Something really eerie about going inside a pyramid that's almost as large as Khufu's and being the only one in there. Parts of it didn't have working electricity - turn off your flashlight, and it's an almost unimaginable darkness.

Giza, overrun with bus tours and locals trying to sell you crap, is sort of a requirement if you're in Egypt, but I enjoyed the other pyramid sites much, much more.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Has exec lounge. Open daily.

From the hotel's website:

"Appreciate the true meaning of the word 'unique' at the Marriott Mena House, Cairo in a setting that has entranced travelers through the ages, where the timeless majesty of the Great Pyramids of Giza cast their spell. The tranquility and fresh, sweet breezes have attracted royalty, the rich and famous to this magical location for 150 years, offering an irresistible escape from the bustling city of Cairo just 45 minutes away. The Marriott Mena House, Cairo merges the exceptional heritage of the Pyramids standing gloriously as a witness of over 7000 years of civilization and Marriott International's 21st Century tradition of innovation. The Marriott Mena House, Cairo comprises 331 luxury rooms and suites, many boasting views of the Pyramids, the lavish gardens or the swimming pool, four restaurants and lounges, expansive indoor and outdoor meetings and banquet facilities, a heated swimming pool and a health club."
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We stayed at the main Marriott in Cairo and were pleasantly surprised at how good the lounge was. Hopefully the same is true at this hotel...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
imverge likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:24 pm

Anyone stay here since they became a Marriott? Curious to know experiences and how well they recognize elite benefits. Have a stay here next month. Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Anyone stay here since they became a Marriott? Curious to know experiences and how well they recognize elite benefits. Have a stay here next month. Thanks!
I love the Mena House. One of my favourite hotels.

You are so lucky. Enjoy.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Please take some pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.