Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just completed honeymoon w/ Marriott points

Old Jul 5, 17, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott

Hi all,

I'm new to this message board so please forgive me if lingo is not up to speed. I wanted to share our most recent experience with Marriott Rewards.

My (now) husband and I (!!) got married on June 3 in Nashville, TN. We chose the downtown Courtyard Marriott as our hotel room block for our guests. We received 28k points for "hosting an event here" so that was great!

We opened up the Marriott Rewards credit card last July (2016) when we were renovating our house and received the sign up bonus and accrued a healthy amount of points from basic spending.

We saved all of our points for our honeymoon and here is how we used them... The stays in ATL and NYC were due to flight delays/cancellations but we were lucky to have points to cover these surprise expenses!
  1. 1 night in the Atlanta Airport Marriott (35k points)
  2. 1 night in the Fairfield Inn & Suites NY Manhattan Times Square (paid w/ $ because rate was so cheap)
  3. 3 nights in the Boscolo Exedra in Nice, France (80k points) - we were upgraded to a room with a bathtub, champagne, dessert, and roses were in the room upon arrival. I can't remember the name of the room.
  4. 2 nights in the Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place (30k points + paid for one night) - we were upgraded to an executive suite and given access to the lounge (even though we are Silver members)
  5. 1 night in the SpringHill Suites NY LGA Airport (30k points)

Overall, it was a great experience staying in mostly Marriotts for the trip. I would highly recommend the Boscolo Exedra in Nice and the Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place. The lounge in Brussels was fantastic with great appetizers and nice selection of self serve wine and beer.

My question to you all: We are incurring some big bills in the next few months and would like to open a new credit card to reap the sign up bonuses (we already have the Chase Ultimate Rewards and Chase SWA cards). What card will allow us to transfer points to Marriott? I read that obviously the Ritz Carlton Card corresponds but not sure if that's the best route to go. Do you have any suggestions? We really do love being a part of the Marriott community and want to be loyal to the brand after such a great experience!

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Jul 9, 17, 5:06 pm

Looks like you're on the way to becoming a great Flyertalker. Nice job. Congratulations and welcome to Flyertalk.

Bobette
Old Jul 9, 17, 5:25 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Get the AMEX SPG card while it lasts while opening an SPG account then transfer these into Marriott at 3:1 while it also lasts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: