Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Compensation - do not disturb sign ignored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation - do not disturb sign ignored

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Can we all agree no housekeeping tip is called for?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jphripjah
This sounds like a lot of effort to try to get a flight attendant to like you. Next time just ask her out on a date.
Based on this thread, she should swipe left.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Very common problem. Last week, I had a 3pm checkout. Returned from my appts and planned on some work until leaving for the airport. I was interrupted 3 times. Irritating for sure. In the past, i have been on a conf call when it happened. That's when I complained.

In your case, I'm happy to say they didn't bother you-and you are the play member. OK, that's a bit snarky, but the benefits are not transferrable. I get what's aggravating you, but you needed to be in the room to have leverage at all.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
This sounds like a lot of effort to try to get a flight attendant to like you. Next time just ask her out on a date.
Ding ding ding!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I almost never had a problem. I almost always call housekeeping in the early AM and ask to have the room serviced at a specific time and I choose a time when I'm either out or don't care. If it's not feasible, I simply ask for towels or whatever I need and leave it at that.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott, PP, Plat for life, Ambassador
'Do Not Disturb'.............Unless you are housekeeping. I mean come on, who is the sign for??? My family or friends? The DND sign IS for housekeeping! If I had friends or family in that town, I would be staying with them.

I dont like Housekeeping in my room ever. If I need more linens or towels, I will hit up a maid int he hallway. Plus I sleep like Rip Van Winkle when on the road. Most maids respect the sign, but after a day or two.......they call you. ...? Like a wake up call at 1PM is any less intrusive?

It always plays like this....A note under the door (we tried to make up your room but...), Then the little red light on the phone is flashing, then a call from the head housekeeper, because the note and VM didnt get through to me.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:44 pm

In my opinion an exorbitant amount of effort was put in to booking the room so you may be more invested than the average person would be with their booking. If you get your 10k back be happy. The fact that this thread is three pages long is amazing though. Better luck next time!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by captainbaker
'Do Not Disturb'.............Unless you are housekeeping. I mean come on, who is the sign for??? My family or friends? The DND sign IS for housekeeping! If I had friends or family in that town, I would be staying with them.

I dont like Housekeeping in my room ever. If I need more linens or towels, I will hit up a maid int he hallway. Plus I sleep like Rip Van Winkle when on the road. Most maids respect the sign, but after a day or two.......they call you. ...? Like a wake up call at 1PM is any less intrusive?

It always plays like this....A note under the door (we tried to make up your room but...), Then the little red light on the phone is flashing, then a call from the head housekeeper, because the note and VM didnt get through to me.
Totally agree with this - I have had many a late checkout at hotels where I had the DND sign on - got a note under the door or hanging on the doorknob. That's what housekeeping should have done. If the sign is on the door, housekeeping shouldn't knock but rather check with the Front desk and have them call. This is proper service. Anything less is certain reason for complaint to management, whether it was the OP in the room or anyone else.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
First, the OP was upfront that the FA was staying in the hotel. This is an airport property. It is likely they get requests for odd hour stays frequently. Nothing indicates the OP took advantage of any benefit. That is made up by posters here. Any guest can ask for a late check out. Any guest can get a late check out. Many hotels also extend benefits when points are used based on the giver's status. Anyone who doesn't know that has probably never given a room to anyone. Attacking the OP over this is nonsense.

However, OP, I've had this happen and never received compensation. When I go to Bangkok, which is often, I spend the first day sleeping to get used to the time change. The Ren, FS 57 and JW slip a note under the door letting you know Housekeeping could not clean the room and to call if you need anything. I've seen this note at other properties, too. My first time at the CY the housekeeper knocked. I did not answer, so the housekeeper called. I did complain. The result: Going forward, the housekeepers were given the printed notes and now I find them slipped under my door when I wake up at five or so in the afternoon.

Sometimes you don't get anything in your pocket when you complain, but you know the hotel has listened and future guests will benefit. Sometimes that's enough.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by NYTA
If the sign is on the door, housekeeping shouldn't knock but rather check with the Front desk and have them call..
This. Had nobody told the front desk, a call would be warranted.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As you weren't inconvenienced, why do you believe you are due compensation?

5 room nights as compensation for someone else being woken up just makes you sound ridiculous.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: LTP, PP
This
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
That 4 PM elite checkout seems to be ignored by the cleaning staff. If I'm working from the room with the do not disturb sign and a late checkout, they keep knocking and will even enter the room. It's very annoying especially when they come back in an hour after I'm telling them I have a 4 PM late checkout. I think its a language barrier, particularly here in the US.

And OP ... a lot of airport hotels have crew rest rooms for this purpose since they have odd arrivals and odd checkouts. They are usually booked by the airline, however, but they are on a separate floor and the cleaning staff is a little more under control. I'm a little surprised that your FA friend didn't ask for something on the crew rest floor.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
yeah, just kind of a strange story but it happens (the DND knocking)...I'll throw out one more thing that struck me:

a FA was "unable to fall back asleep"?? Really? I don't have 1st hand knowledge but I would assume flight crews would almost be like military personnel - very used to sleeping at odd hours, and able to sleep when & where the opportunity arises.

She was so upset at having her door knocked on - that she couldn't fall back asleep over a 4 hr period?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it makes zero sense to clean a room on the day of checkout, only to have to clean it again after checkout, there are properties which are just poorly coordinated.

That's why --- if you care about housekeeping not entering --- calling housekeeping directly and asking that it be skipped for the day or asking that it be skipped but towels delivered works well.

That aside, you should understand that most properties will check a room at least once every two days. Even if you decline housekeeping services, you can expect a housekeeping supervisor to look in and make sure that you haven't headed off with the TV and counch !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.