Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Marriott beach location that's not a resort/we can get breakfast?

Best Marriott beach location that's not a resort/we can get breakfast?

Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
The Delray Beach Marriott is also Ocean Front (just separated from the beach by A1A), has a Club lounge as far as I understand and is not considered a Resort...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
A vote for the Miami Marriott Stanton, South Beach. Right in the beach with an exec lounge and plenty of outdoor balcony seating. Unsurprisingly it's a Cat9...
I stayed there a couple of nights in March. The service is good. I thought the hotel was beautiful with the renovations, though it has to be the least un-Marriott of any flagship Marriott hotel. It feels more like an Autograph Collection hotel. The rooms are gorgeous.

The lounge is good for what it is. My only complaint is South Beach itself. Your experience really depends on the time of the year you go. When I was there, it basically felt like Las Vegas on the ocean. It was kind of trashy, to be honest.

I spent most of my time by the pool, which is surprisingly small for this hotel. Basically, you need to be down there by 9 a.m. to get a good chair that's in the sun until around 3:30 p.m. Also, when I was there the Starbucks coffeehouse at street level was closed and the poolside bar and restaurant didn't have a dinner service. That might be an issue for some people.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Another option is the J.W. Marriott Marquis in Dubai. It's the world's tallest hotel and, by far, one of the best hotels in the Marriott portfolio. While technically not on the beach, it's a short ride from the beach in Dubai. It has a very nice rooftop bar with an excellent lounge that includes a great breakfast and free champagne at night.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
J.W. Marriott Marquis Dubai might be a nice hotel, but it's nowhere near the beach! Otherwise you could call all hotels in Dubai or in Miami 'beach hotels'.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Viks
J.W. Marriott Marquis Dubai might be a nice hotel, but it's nowhere near the beach! Otherwise you could call all hotels in Dubai or in Miami 'beach hotels'.
10 minutes by Uber? That's close enough, especially given its benefits.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
The benefits are the same as in any other Marriott with a lounge. (I don't remember there being a champagne, only a sparkling wine, and food was more limited worse that in most non-US Marriotts.)

Not going to discuss this further but you are not helping OP in any way by redefining what beach hotel means just because you liked one particular hotel.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Just booked the hotel for Jan next year. Really looking forward to the stay as its my first time in Miami.

Can I check if the lounge is open everyday for both mornings and evenings? On the website, it says : Open: Sun-Sat, Open: Weekends Breakfast Only for the concierge lounge. Some posters here mentioned its open everyday now?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:26 am

The lounge is open for food Saturday and Sunday Mornings. Nothing Friday and Saturday night. Reopens Sunday night. It is very nice spread for a domestic lounge. Ask for a Ocean Front room vs Ocean View (both are very good). Great View of the Sunset from the Lounge looking towards DT miami and the Bay.

Things to do around the area. Go to Joe's to Go (next to Joe's stone crab) and eat there instead of the long wait for the restaurant (same menu). They have a few tables that are typically available. They have excellent fried chicken btw I am not kidding. Seriously lots of the locals get it with the stone crab. Also, all the locals eat at their breakfast if you decide to leave the hotel. Joe's is close enough to the hotel (a few blocks) that you could get it and eat on your balcony too.

The Bass Art Museum is very nice on the beach as well. You do not need a car on Miami Beach or even if your only destination is downtown Miami or the airport from the hotel. Parking is impossible and expensive. Taking an Uber from your hotel to anywhere on the beach or downtown isn't more than 10 bucks. Some places will be at little as 5-7. Parking will always be more than Uber. There are rental car locations on the beach if you need to rent one for a day trip or 2.

Lots of good museums, shows, and entertainment right across the Bay over the causeway. Perez Art Museum, Frost Science center, American Airlines Arena, Opera House, etc. If you are there during MLK weekend, I believe the Art Deco Festival is happening on the beach too.

One of the best walks you can take is from South Pointe Pier to 46th street. You are about 5 blocks from the pier at the Hotel. Parts are paved and about 1/2 is an actual board walk. The entire walk is on the Ocean.

I would go to Epicure for lunch (it is a very high end grocery store) near alton road and 17th street. Go to the very back corner of the store where they have amazing prepared foods, sliced deli meats sandwiches and the best tuna salad in the world (If you know of better let me know as I don't think it is possible). Locals call it "crack". Take the stuff to go and have lunch on the beach or at one of the many parks nearby. I really like South Beach Park near the hotel. There is also a small park next to the hotel on the ocean. They have a few tables if you want to eat there.

Puerto Sagua serves Cuban food. It is not fancy, but the food is authentic and very good. It is in an old historic building that was a Miami Beach Diner previously. When you stroll the streets look for local happy hours in front of the independent boutique hotels. Some can be quite good. AVOID over priced ocean drive. Drinks and food are average at best too. If you see a Food Truck/cart watch whatever everyone else is getting and get it too. Even if you don't speak spanish. If you like to drink, buy your drinks at any of the package stores on Collins Ave. Much cheaper than drinking out in Miami.

I am not going to get into the touristy stuff you can trip advisor that or PM with questions, but wanted to give you some insight into what the locals do and eat near the hotel. One thing about Miami is it is a very late city. Very often you can wake up early and have the entire beach to yourself. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by jr1202sr; Jul 15, 2017 at 6:32 am
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Kind of an odd question, but we will use a Marriott travel package sometime next year. We don't usually stay in any one place for 7 days unless it's a beach. My wife values free breakfast a *lot* (and honestly, I'm fond of it too; it takes care of the first decision in the morning on a relaxing trip), but Marriott resorts don't provide breakfast for elites.

Hence the title: what would be the best place to use a package on the beach that also gives breakfast? It could be anywhere (warm) in the world, and we can sue up to Caty 8 )9 really, but saving points for something else). Thanks.
I just stayed at El Mangroove, a Marriott Autograph Collection hotel in Costa Rica. It's a Category 7, has the feel of a boutique hotel. It's in Guanacaste, about 20 minutes from the Liberia Airport, with a beach on the Gulf of Papagayo. As a Gold member, they gave us full breakfast complimentary and it was quite impressive IMO. Omelets, various hot items like French Toast, bacon, eggs, empanadas, pancakes; a big variety of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, many types of breads/pastries/muffins; plus coffee, tea, juice, water.
I really liked the hotel a lot. I would recommend having a car for at least part of your stay as there is a lot to do away from the resort and that would also give you more options for other meals as there isn't much right next to the hotel besides the two on-site restaurants (although by the beach during the day people grill and I bought lunch one day of roast chicken with rice and plantain chips for about $5).
There are prettier beaches than the one the hotel is on, but you can get to those via a short drive or even book an excursion leaving from the hotel. Included in the hotel rate is the use of kayaks as well as bikes (they can be used on the beach). We did a private boat ride for 4 1/2 hours one day that took us to several different beaches and included snorkeling and soda/beer/water. That was $190 for the two of us.

Last edited by spainlover; Jul 15, 2017 at 11:06 am
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Stanton marriot Miami Beach is stating on their website that from jan 2018 they will be charging a $28 resort fee. I’m guessing that’s the end of bennies there.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tangey
Stanton marriot Miami Beach is stating on their website that from jan 2018 they will be charging a $28 resort fee. I’m guessing that’s the end of bennies there.
That's too bad because it really isn't a resort. It's a nice city hotel that feels like a resort, but it isn't a resort.

What makes it more outrageous is right now there's a daily "destination" fee of $17. On January 1, the "resort" fee is $28. That's a significant jump, given the only resort-esque amenity when I stayed in March was complimentary bicycles. The pool is so small that if you aren't down there by 9:30 a.m. or so you won't get a chair in the sun.

Someone should call and see what you get for $28.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's too bad because it really isn't a resort. It's a nice city hotel that feels like a resort, but it isn't a resort.

What makes it more outrageous is right now there's a daily "destination" fee of $17. On January 1, the "resort" fee is $28. That's a significant jump, given the only resort-esque amenity when I stayed in March was complimentary bicycles. The pool is so small that if you aren't down there by 9:30 a.m. or so you won't get a chair in the sun.

Someone should call and see what you get for $28.

This has been in the works for awhile. Sadly finally the day has come that they made the switch. About a year ago they significantly downgraded the offerings in the Lounge. Offering was like JW Essex House downgraded to Marriott standards.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
This has been in the works for awhile. Sadly finally the day has come that they made the switch. About a year ago they significantly downgraded the offerings in the Lounge. Offering was like JW Essex House downgraded to Marriott standards.
I personally thought South Beach was kind of trashy in a Jersey Shore kind of way. I wouldn't go back.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I personally thought South Beach was kind of trashy in a Jersey Shore kind of way. I wouldn't go back.
South of Fifth Trashy? not so much. Ocean Drive maybe. Miami and Miami Beach is much more than a beach and a club. I don't know another city in the world that is melting pot for the America's (south, central and north).

Rumor is the Stanton will be a JW as well.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
South of Fifth Trashy? not so much. Ocean Drive maybe. Miami and Miami Beach is much more than a beach and a club. I don't know another city in the world that is melting pot for the America's (south, central and north).

Rumor is the Stanton will be a JW as well.
The area around the Stanton was nicer, but the area north of it was trashy and not high-end.

The Stanton would be very, very small for a J.W. Marriott property. Also, there are already two J.W. Marriott properties in the Miami area. I thought the decor and vibe was more Renaissance or Autograph Collection than Marriott.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.