Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa - Sri Lanka [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
For transportation to and from I suggest downloading the PickMe taxi app which is like Uber only cheaper and with better coverage all across Sri Lanka whereas Uber only works in Colombo. The rate I paid using the app was about $50USD each way vs. the hotel rate of $125USD! Rate varies based on the size of car required. Travel time was 2.5 hrs each way.

We used TaxiGo for airport pickup and dropoff - cheap, clean, convenient and professional

Plat amenities are complimentary breakfast, two items for complimentary pressing per day, 20 percent off dining [excluding alcohol] and 20 percent off spa. Gone are the happy hours mentioned in posts above.
Print Wikipost

Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa - Sri Lanka [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Any tips or observations about car rentals and driving in Sri Lanka? I already realize that the steering would be on the wrong side, so automatics are preferable.
Hire a car w/driver and enjoy the scenery as opposed to driving World Rally Cup style on one lane roads.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by German Expat

Summary: For 15k points an excellent deal. Good Gold benefits. Nice bay area and I am sure the service will improve and none of the issues were a bigger deal. Just comparing it to the other hotels we stayed in Sri Lanka and compared to those it is obvious the hotel is still relative new. We did like the location.
Will there be a concierge lounge?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Nevsky
It's a resort so probably no.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:16 am

Just completed a 5 night stay here.

For transportation to and from I suggest downloading the PickMe taxi app which is like Uber only cheaper and with better coverage all across Sri Lanka whereas Uber only works in Colombo.

The rate I paid using the app was about $50USD each way vs. the hotel rate of $125USD! Rate varies based on the size of car required.

Travel time was 2.5 hrs each way.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:18 am

No lounge but you do have drinks and snacks available from a set menu at the bar restaurant located next to the front desk.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Are the drinks/snacks available from the set menu free or discounted for G/Ps?

Cheers.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Are the drinks/snacks available from the set menu free or discounted for G/Ps?
The entire bill is fully rebated for G/P's.
Also during most evenings the chef tries to come up with a small but very inventive dish. He brings is personally to selected tables. Since that space is rarely crowded, usually everyone present gets to try.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Have a four-night stay here coming up on November 20th and looking forward to checking it out. Any recent stays/feedback? Will also do my own reporting once on the ground.

khabah
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:04 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by khabah
Have a four-night stay here coming up on November 20th and looking forward to checking it out. Any recent stays/feedback? Will also do my own reporting once on the ground.

khabah
Looks like I just missed you Just got to the resort and I am liking what I am seeing so far. While it was a minor pain to get here from CMB (I did the train route) I am enjoying the relatively quaint atmosphere here.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Looks like I just missed you Just got to the resort and I am liking what I am seeing so far. While it was a minor pain to get here from CMB (I did the train route) I am enjoying the relatively quaint atmosphere here.
Ack, you did - I checked out on the 24th! Enjoy your stay; all in all, I had a fabulous stay. Feedback:
  • Stayed with my friend who booked as a PPE. Used SNAs which cleared for a one-bedroom suite.
  • We used TaxiGo for airport pickup and dropoff - cheap, clean, convenient and professional. Beats the 175 dollars the hotel offered.
  • The hotel totally sticks out - it's an 11-story concrete block obscenely poking up and out in a landscape where no other building is taller than three stories.
  • Upon arrival at 10 AM, our suite wasn't ready as the hotel was fully booked the night before for a massive wedding, so we were given a standard room to freshen up and relax. Told suite would be ready within the hour; after much to-and-froing over the next few hours, we were finally given our suite at 5 PM.
  • Suite - and room, for that matter - are incredibly spacious and all rooms have stunning views/furnished balconies over Weligama Bay and the Indian Ocean. Decor is fresh and contemporary with lots of dark wood and old-school fans to localize the theme. Suite had a dining table for four, large couch, half bathroom and a separate bedroom with bathroom with shower, tub, vanity and toilet. Toiletries are provided by a Sri Lankan brand called Oxygen Collection and I thought they were excellent - much better than the standard Acca Kappa stuff Marriott stocks.
  • Plat amenities are complimentary breakfast, two items for complimentary pressing per day, 20 percent off dining [excluding alcohol] and 20 percent off spa. Gone are the happy hours mentioned in posts above.
  • Food is EXCELLENT - breakfast is extensive and there are lovely buffet spreads for lunch and dinner with tons of Sri Lankan options, international choices and desserts. Big Fish, the seafood restaurant, is also stunning - go feast your eyes on the lagoon prawns.
  • Spa is also excellent; I got the Weligama Bay Signature treatment twice which includes a Swedish massage and rubdown with heated poultices of ginger and sand. The therapists are Indonesian and phenomenal. Facilities are lovely.
  • Three pools of decent size. Deck chairs fill up. Not allowed to take towels to the beach.
  • Staff are lovely - warm, genuine and determined to make things special. They're obviously very proud of working at this property and it reflects in how they perform.
  • Major complaint has to do with elevators: there are three but they're not well programmed so you'll be up on your floor and all three elevators will be dawdling about between the ground and mezzanine floors, so wait times can be very long.
I already miss it here.

khabah
Sweet Willie and golfingboy like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by khabah
...Gone are the happy hours mentioned in posts above....

khabah
Does this mean there are no snacks/soft drinks available to Golds/Platinums afternoons/evenings?

Subsequent to my posting, I found out that this appears to be the case and that it seems the hotel is "blaming" the Marriott program for not letting them do it. Somehow that does not seem to be accurate. Is it not the case that the real issue is that Marriott does not require it, but that a hotel can offer it if they want to, but this property has now chosen not to offer what I understand was a very nice benefit.

Last edited by Nevsky; Dec 8, 2018 at 12:07 am Reason: Adding question
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:46 am

Does this mean there are no snacks/soft drinks available to Golds/Platinums afternoons/evenings?

Subsequent to my posting, I found out that this appears to be the case and that it seems the hotel is "blaming" the Marriott program for not letting them do it. Somehow that does not seem to be accurate...
I've recently heard comments from hotel managers about Marriott enforcing consistency within its brands. So it would not surprise me that this downgrade was forced on the hotel by the program.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there any email for this hotel? I’d like to clarify if they’ve stopped offering the Platinum drinks and afternoon tea. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Is there any email for this hotel? I’d like to clarify if they’ve stopped offering the Platinum drinks and afternoon tea. Thanks.
no more plt afternoon tea or happy hour
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:09 am

For those who have recently been would you be kind enough to tell us if food prices were reasonable? Thinking we may stop over for a few days but not sure how much a dent the budget will take. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.