New Cancellation Policy

Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: MR rewards
Why ? 24 hours is fine .. They just lose my next 12 days trip to USA 3 days cancellation is very risky no way Marriott
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:58 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I couldn't find the thread, but when marriott started going to the 24 hour cancellation period a couple of years ago instead of same day cancellation the Platinum line stated that same day cancellation was a benefit being extended to Platinum and Platinum Premier. I confirmed this when I brought it up while getting an exception for one of my reservations.

Has anyone confirmed that this is still an undocumented benefit or is the Platinum desk just being nice?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
This is precisely what happens when an industry becomes very concentrated and there are fewer competitive options.

I'm booking a HGI (Hilton) property this weekend because I may need to cancel. Their policy is 6 PM DOA.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
So what happens when there are flight cancellations or missed connections that prevent showing up at a given property? When I was a Platinum (gold now), I was usually forgiven and not charged. But now I assume the worst.

Rental cars next?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Likely if they continue to consolidate.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by exree
Uh oh....how long before everyone does this?

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...licy-72-hours/
It is rather cheeky of Marriott to sneak this change in. I presume it will again be cloaked in "Our customers pleaded us for this enhancement, so that more rooms open up for their stay". This is headed down the path of non refundable stays as the only option.

I have passed on my annoyance and frustrations with Marriott today. I stumbled upon it when making a booking today and the agent said 2 days prior to the first night in an off hand manner. I did not catch it when she first said it and asked again few minutes later.

It is a pity that corporate rates are also affected by this. As an earlier poster mentioned, a way to pay for the inflated purchase price of Starwood brand. This joins the annals of rip off similar to "Stadium Fees" on the bill.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
It is rather cheeky of Marriott to sneak this change in. I presume it will again be cloaked in "Our customers pleaded us for this enhancement, so that more rooms open up for their stay". This is headed down the path of non refundable stays as the only option.

I have passed on my annoyance and frustrations with Marriott today. I stumbled upon it when making a booking today and the agent said 2 days prior to the first night in an off hand manner. I did not catch it when she first said it and asked again few minutes later.

It is a pity that corporate rates are also affected by this. As an earlier poster mentioned, a way to pay for the inflated purchase price of Starwood brand. This joins the annals of rip off similar to "Stadium Fees" on the bill.
It rebounds as Corp Policy of on-the-day-cancelation is mandated. We already were hit with HH 18months ago changin cancels to day-before, and if I escalate/push back I can at least get permoission to book at most cancel day-b4-arrival if all hotels in area do not allow cancel on DOA

This is just pure greed by hotel chains, driven post Apr2015 and the end of business recession with hotels now running at high occupancy rates, and no longer desperately needing to win our business/personal stays.

Marriott will not get corp stays if HH/IHG or other chain in city has a more generous (ie normal and friendly) cancel period

Hoping at the moment only a USA trial only as my USA nights are minimal.

nb
Agree re prev posts, totally correct, hotel chain consolidation to only 4-5 big players (ie MR, IHG, HH, Accor, Hyatt) means chains more likely to follow suit than in the past 5years
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Seeing reports this morning that Hilton has now joined Marriott in changing their policy as well. The downward spiral continues across the board! I swear these executives sit around at industry events and discuss who's going to be the first to do something for the greater good of their profits. I can just hear it...Your turn to be the first at implementing xyz and taking the hit...next time Brand Q will take the hit. Collusion! Based on this Hyatt should be next BUT I would hope they know better after their WOH cluster _____.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by RobertS975
So what happens when there are flight cancellations or missed connections that prevent showing up at a given property? When I was a Platinum (gold now), I was usually forgiven and not charged. But now I assume the worst.

Rental cars next?
I had a flight cancelled Monday evening. (Smoke and fumes in the DC ATC Center really impacted BWI with no warning.) I was to stay at the Portsmouth Ren Mon and Tuesday. I called the Plat line. Explained the situation-they cancelled without penalty and specifically noted that I was a Plat.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by TravellingMan

A Marriott executive was quoted as saying they did this because they were getting hurt with adding that hotels with a one-day policy 'were left with "a significant number of unsold rooms" due to last-minute cancellations. '

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/16/news...nge/index.html

Well, sure, so the way to fix it is to punish the guests. Folks need to stay somewhere if they're traveling and if you're not going to provide value they will walk.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:28 pm

Well, it's been a week since I asked this question, and looks like I wasn't charged, despite the sketchy message 'You may be charge a cancel fee'.

I try to book IHG when I can now - since they still have same-day 6pm cancel policy!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
A Marriott executive was quoted as saying they did this because they were getting hurt with adding that hotels with a one-day policy 'were left with "a significant number of unsold rooms" due to last-minute cancellations. '

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/16/news...nge/index.html

Well, sure, so the way to fix it is to punish the guests. Folks need to stay somewhere if they're traveling and if you're not going to provide value they will walk.
disingeneous corporate statements again, and totally misleading

unless a hotel is soldout the 1-day before when possible day-b4 cancels get enacted, the hotel loses no room sales, thus no need to have a 3-day cancel period as the default. And this non-soldout is always the case 330/365 days or more per year for nearly all hotels.

Plus several of those days/nights for when hotel expects an extraordinary demand due to local event or special in demand date, eg nye, , allowing hotel to double normal nightly rates, such hotels then also tends to implement a temporary far more stringent cancel-7days out t+c etc.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

perhaps trying to lock up more corporate contracts with cancellation better than public?

has any chain done this before? interesting to see if chain(s) change back or not.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
perhaps trying to lock up more corporate contracts with cancellation better than public?

has any chain done this before? interesting to see if chain(s) change back or not.
The other chains are starting to match. They're probably doing the woo-hoo dance.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 18, 2017 at 7:29 am Reason: fix typo
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:02 am

My only concern with this policy has been with delayed/canceled flights. I've only had this problem once (under the old 24h cx polity), but the hotel had no problem canceling my reservation free of charge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.