Wiki Posts
Search

New Cancellation Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by storewanderer
This cancellation policy would completely stop my employer from allowing me to book with this chain. Sometimes when you expect to be out on a project for Monday-Thursday night, you only end up out on Monday-Wednesday night and at properties in the past as long as you told them on Wednesday night that you were going to leave the next morning, all was well and you could leave and just pay for the 3 nights.

Now with this policy, I don't think you could just do that anymore.
All hotel chains have a policy if you change the dates of your stay the rates could change. In practice, if you're already at a property & are leaving a day early, they normally don't hit you with a higher rate or charge you for the extra night. The 3-day cancel for arrival shouldn't impact the back end.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Indeed, I just made a points reservation for a Hampton in Oregon today, and was amazed that it has a 6 pm day of arrival cancellation deadline! ^
I just made a reservation for next weekend at the Anaheim Marriott and it, too, has a 6pm day of arrival cancellation. So before we all go burning Marriott at the stake, let's realize that things like this are property-specific.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:38 am

Alright... I am having a blonde moment

I have this cancellation policy on a reservation
"You may cancel your reservation for no charge until June 29, 2017 (2 day[s] before arrival)."

Can I cancel today (June 29th) or am I too late???

(I'm in a meeting and can't call the Platinum line to ask!)
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
IME, you can cancel today with no penalty. You might get a message warning you about a penalty, but you won't be charged.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

"You may cancel your reservation for no charge until June 29, 2017 (2 day[s] before arrival)."

I called when I got out and got "because you are platinum I can cancel it for you". Sounded like I needed to cancel yesterday, but it's done!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
I called when I got out and got "because you are platinum I can cancel it for you". Sounded like I needed to cancel yesterday, but it's done!
How kind of Marriott to let you cancel two days early
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jwlowry
I am a PP and they are not allowing me to cancel without fee at the Marriott Auburn Hills Pontiac in Michigan. This is from the Plat reservation line.
I would be madder than the proverbial wet hen. As a fellow PP and Ambassador customer, I would be LIVID if they held firm on this. Yes, I may sound like a male Diva, but this is not cool. Lifetime Platinum here, so not a lot of incentive to keep racking up points and nights, but if a situation like this happens to me, I may switch brands. Im sure my lost business will make about zero impact to them, but its the principle.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too late. It is MIDNIGHT when June 28 changes to June 29.

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
IME, you can cancel today with no penalty. You might get a message warning you about a penalty, but you won't be charged.
I asked and was told the clock starts at 12:00am on the calendar date mentioned.

Your assumption is correct.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:40 am

It's still all over the place. Just booked JW in DC, 1 day cancellation. And now just booked Greenbelt, MD, 2 days cancellation. Same dates.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jrich7970
It's still all over the place. Just booked JW in DC, 1 day cancellation. And now just booked Greenbelt, MD, 2 days cancellation. Same dates.
Stretching yourself thin, don't you think?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Too late. It is MIDNIGHT when June 28 changes to June 29.

I asked and was told the clock starts at 12:00am on the calendar date mentioned.

Your assumption is correct.
This is not true, you may cancel up to midnight of the night of the date indicated. This is standard across many brands I have done this many times.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Sucks if you desire real flexibility but I've found waiting until very late to book at Marriott works better for me. I, generally, find lower prices about a week or two out from a stay so not sure this would kill me since a week or two out I'm near 100% sure of the trip.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Aliquot
This is not true, you may cancel up to midnight of the night of the date indicated. This is standard across many brands I have done this many times.
Starwood's standard tends to be 4:00 p.m. hotel time. Therefore, a 48-hour cancellation policy for arrival on August 4 would required cancellation no later than 4:00 p.m. hotel time August 2. The 4:00 p.m. cutoff is clearly stated in the reservation's cancellation notice on the reservation itself.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
Starwood's standard tends to be 4:00 p.m. hotel time. Therefore, a 48-hour cancellation policy for arrival on August 4 would required cancellation no later than 4:00 p.m. hotel time August 2. The 4:00 p.m. cutoff is clearly stated in the reservation's cancellation notice on the reservation itself.
Yes, but not at Marriott.

Thought that difference makes me wonder, will get a further degradation of cancellation time by 8 extra hours (the difference between midnight and 4 pm) when the programs all merge?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, but not at Marriott.

Thought that difference makes me wonder, will get a further degradation of cancellation time by 8 extra hours (the difference between midnight and 4 pm) when the programs all merge?
Except that whenever I cancel on the last day on a Marriott, it warns me that there is a penalty. One time, I clicked cancel and didn't realize I had to click a third time to confirm I wanted to cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.