New Cancellation Policy

Old Jun 23, 17, 5:22 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, KLM Flying Blue, LH Miles&More
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
According to Marriott your quote is correct except you left out it does not apply to Marriott Vacation Worldwide in addition to Design Hotels. I think I'm the one who posted the above in the SPG forum.

Cheers.
Well. I just posted the information I received from SPG.
Old Jun 23, 17, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by claes059 View Post
Well. I just posted the information I received from SPG.
That makes sense, as SPG would only discuss their own brands. However, the official Marriott statement that was picked up by all the media outlets covered both SPG & Marriott brands.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:17 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
In addition to the new cancellation policies, several Marriotts in prime vacation destinations now have a 7 day cancellation policy (previously it was 3 days prior) and are requiring a one night deposit to hold regular rate and member rate rooms.

Noticed this for all oceanfront Marriotts (RI, CYx2, FFI, SHS) in VA Beach, VA, where we have been going every summer since 2002. Also, noticed this at the FS Marriott, CY and FFI @ the Keys, in Key West Florida. This was not the case when I checked these same locations a week ago.

After Labor Day, for the VA Beach locations there is no deposit required for regular and member rates and the cancellation policy reverts back to 3 days prior.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:08 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Plat reporting in

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
I wonder how Plats will be impacted. They could cancel at 24 hours vs 48 hours.
I am a PP and they are not allowing me to cancel without fee at the Marriott Auburn Hills Pontiac in Michigan. This is from the Plat reservation line.
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Other publications picking it up as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...cellation.html

Also noticed in the above article: "The Bethesda (NASDAQ: MAR) company introduced the change June 15; it will apply to all reservations made on or after that date."

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...-hours-notice/
https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/new...olicy-48-hours
http://www.travelandleisure.com/hote...-policy-change
http://www.travelmarketreport.com/ar...llation-Policy
at least one of these links said "Hilton and Hyatt already have 48 hour or more cancellation policies." Is that accurate?

I think the big question will be if a shorter cancellation policy becomes an elite "benefit." I know there is some sort of unpublished benefit to still give day of arrival cancellation at least to Plat (not sure about gold?), but hopefully something like that becomes official. And if it does, would it still be day of arrival in most cases?
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
at least one of these links said "Hilton and Hyatt already have 48 hour or more cancellation policies." Is that accurate?
I saw that too & figured sloppy reporting, as one of the articles that mentioned it also mentioned they reached out to Hilton & were waiting to hear back from them. However, there are some anecdotal reports that 'some' Hilton & Hyatt properties have also moved to the 3-day cancel.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jwlowry View Post
I am a PP and they are not allowing me to cancel without fee at the Marriott Auburn Hills Pontiac in Michigan. This is from the Plat reservation line.
WOW. This is NOT encouraging.
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jwlowry View Post
Did you try to HUCA? Or do they contact the hotel so that wouldn't do any good?
Old Jun 23, 17, 1:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PlatPro; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Globalist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
That is NOT accurate as far as corporate wide. I just checked booking reservations at both Hilton and Hyatt in various US locations. The rate rules indicate a 24-hour cancellation policy.
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
That is NOT accurate as far as corporate wide. I just checked booking reservations at both Hilton and Hyatt in various US locations. The rate rules indicate a 24-hour cancellation policy.
As I mentioned above, it said they were checking back w/ Hilton But there have been some reports of same but not system wide. However, it doesn't mean they won't go system wide. What one does the other does - whether airline or hotel.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
In addition to the new cancellation policies, several Marriotts in prime vacation destinations now have a 7 day cancellation policy (previously it was 3 days prior) and are requiring a one night deposit to hold regular rate and member rate rooms.

Noticed this for all oceanfront Marriotts (RI, CYx2, FFI, SHS) in VA Beach, VA, where we have been going every summer since 2002. Also, noticed this at the FS Marriott, CY and FFI @ the Keys, in Key West Florida. This was not the case when I checked these same locations a week ago.

After Labor Day, for the VA Beach locations there is no deposit required for regular and member rates and the cancellation policy reverts back to 3 days prior.

Regards,

RIP...
Months ago, one hotel in Anaheim which sometimes has very low "AAA hot deals" rates went from 1 day to 7 day cancellation, but it was not for a particular range of stay dates, rather it for a few weeks of booking dates, and then after a couple weeks they went back to 1 day for the very same stay dates. (They haven't had those rates yet since the new policy that this thread is about went into effect, but I presume they're mostly likely at 2 days now as all the central Orange County CA hotels I've checked are.
Old Jun 23, 17, 9:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PlatPro; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Globalist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
As I mentioned above, it said they were checking back w/ Hilton But there have been some reports of same but not system wide. However, it doesn't mean they won't go system wide. What one does the other does - whether airline or hotel.

Cheers.
Yes I understand, but I was responding to the statement that Hyatt and Hilton already have 48-hour cancellation policies. They do not as of today.
Old Jun 24, 17, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
What one does the other does - whether airline or hotel.
Except for numerous price increases airlines instituted over weekends which were rolled back when one of the airlines didn't go along. Here, the longer Hilton holds out (in an effort to grab market share), the less likely Marriott will stick with its new anti-consumer cancellation policy (or stealth price increase, which it will become unless Hilton forces Marriott to retreat). https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...fares/2751719/
Old Jun 24, 17, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
Yes I understand, but I was responding to the statement that Hyatt and Hilton already have 48-hour cancellation policies. They do not as of today.
Indeed, I just made a points reservation for a Hampton in Oregon today, and was amazed that it has a 6 pm day of arrival cancellation deadline! ^
Old Jun 24, 17, 11:48 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
This cancellation policy would completely stop my employer from allowing me to book with this chain. Sometimes when you expect to be out on a project for Monday-Thursday night, you only end up out on Monday-Wednesday night and at properties in the past as long as you told them on Wednesday night that you were going to leave the next morning, all was well and you could leave and just pay for the 3 nights.

Now with this policy, I don't think you could just do that anymore.

I also will not book hotels for leisure purposes with a 72 hour cancel policy. What if something happens that I can't get there? I accept that if I have to cancel a trip right before I go, I may have to eat the first night due to a 24 hour cancel policy. But now with this type of policy I'd have to eat 3 nights? Nope.

Hopefully Hilton does not go this route.

Search this Thread