New Cancellation Policy

 
Old Jul 17, 17, 2:15 pm
  #136  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 615
Originally Posted by mindrisa View Post
Did you try to HUCA? Or do they contact the hotel so that wouldn't do any good?
I am given to understand that it was the hotel that refused to honor the cancellation. I say this because the Marriott rep indicated that she was talking to the property. I ended up using a work-around that got me out of the fee.
jwlowry is offline  
Old Jul 17, 17, 10:22 pm
  #137  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Posts: 1,790
I know a few tricks to make a booking and make sure the card used for reservation cannot be charged following a no-show or cancellation past free-cancellation deadline. It seems that I'll have to resort to such tricks more often
MasterGeek is offline  
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:31 pm
  #138  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
This is precisely what happens when an industry becomes very concentrated and there are fewer competitive options.

I'm booking a HGI (Hilton) property this weekend because I may need to cancel. Their policy is 6 PM DOA.

Not after July 31st. It will then be 48 hours.
retiredfromhilton is offline  
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:39 pm
  #139  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
WOW. This is NOT encouraging.
If Marriott and Hilton are in synch, then Marriott's platinum reps have been told what Hilton's diamond reps have been told: 'No more exceptions for elite members'. The Hilton policy goes in force from August 1.
retiredfromhilton is offline  
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:45 pm
  #140  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 187
Just did a few day road trip in SoCal, booking 1 day ahead each day (i.e., booking today for tomorrow night). Weird to see a statement each time to the effect that "this reservation can be canceled without penalty up to [yesterday]."
kar120c is offline  
Old Jul 20, 17, 12:50 pm
  #141  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
I know a few tricks to make a booking and make sure the card used for reservation cannot be charged following a no-show or cancellation past free-cancellation deadline. It seems that I'll have to resort to such tricks more often
Ohhhh...do tell!

I sort of achieved that once accidentally by cancelling a card after a booking was made, but I'm not really willing to do that everytime to avoid a cancellation charge!
pokee is offline  
Old Jul 20, 17, 12:51 pm
  #142  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton View Post
Not after July 31st. It will then be 48 hours.
DOH!
pokee is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 6:03 pm
  #143  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: MD,USA
Posts: 386
This new cancellation policy simply allowed one of the hotels I recently stayed at to charge my credit card once the 48-hour deadline had passed.
UpInTheAir is offline  
Old Jul 29, 17, 5:19 am
  #144  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lima Sierra Zulu Hotel
Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Ohhhh...do tell!

I sort of achieved that once accidentally by cancelling a card after a booking was made, but I'm not really willing to do that everytime to avoid a cancellation charge!
I don't even think that will work. Just this week, two days before check in, I got a message from a Marriott property saying my guarantee CC was not valid and I should call in with an updated one, or the room would no longer be guaranteed (I'd lose the room as I arrive late).

I wasn't even trying to get around this new policy (I wanted to keep the room!). But the card I had booked with was replaced by the issuer between booking and check in. Just a word of warning that you may not want to go that route!

bawm
bawm is offline  
Old Jul 29, 17, 11:33 am
  #145  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ROC/NYC/MSP/LAX/HKG/SIN
Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Posts: 3,209
Originally Posted by bawm View Post
I don't even think that will work. Just this week, two days before check in, I got a message from a Marriott property saying my guarantee CC was not valid and I should call in with an updated one, or the room would no longer be guaranteed (I'd lose the room as I arrive late).

I wasn't even trying to get around this new policy (I wanted to keep the room!). But the card I had booked with was replaced by the issuer between booking and check in. Just a word of warning that you may not want to go that route!

bawm
If the hotel checks the CCs, then that means the memo is official, and they are definitely aware of this cancellation policy. 72 hours are definitely discouraging. I just noticed that even with award reservations last weekend when I booked one in Toronto downtown. Looks like they are enforcing this even on award reservations as well.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
This is precisely what happens when an industry becomes very concentrated and there are fewer competitive options.

I'm booking a HGI (Hilton) property this weekend because I may need to cancel. Their policy is 6 PM DOA.
Depending on what you meant by *competitive*. If you meant choices to try different hotels, then no; but if you meant choices to cancel day-of-arrival reservations, then yes, Airbnb, Hilton, and Marriott are not giving Day-of-Arrival cancellations anymore.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
I had a flight cancelled Monday evening. (Smoke and fumes in the DC ATC Center really impacted BWI with no warning.) I was to stay at the Portsmouth Ren Mon and Tuesday. I called the Plat line. Explained the situation-they cancelled without penalty and specifically noted that I was a Plat.
Really hope this is still a benefit for being PLT.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jul 29, 17 at 11:44 am
PaulInTheSky is offline  
Old Jul 30, 17, 8:26 am
  #146  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,900
In the past, I have asked them to move my reservation to a later date rather than cancel it when it was not possible to cancel. I would ask them for that option if it is a property I stay at frequently.
VA1379 is offline  
Old Jul 30, 17, 3:14 pm
  #147  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Posts: 1,590
If you are listening, Marriott, you have already lost at least 10 nights of mine over this policy.
orca15 is offline  
Old Jul 30, 17, 7:25 pm
  #148  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,564
Originally Posted by orca15 View Post
If you are listening, Marriott, you have already lost at least 10 nights of mine over this policy.
Again, lost to where? Presumably not Hilton, which is instituting much the same policy tomorrow. Presumably not Carlson, which already seems like it might have a similar policy, based on my bookings this year.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 31, 17, 6:09 am
  #149  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: WAW
Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S); Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 2,326
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Again, lost to where? Presumably not Hilton, which is instituting much the same policy tomorrow. Presumably not Carlson, which already seems like it might have a similar policy, based on my bookings this year.
IHG or Accor? Both of them still allow same day cancellation.
yurtripper is offline  
Old Jul 31, 17, 6:44 am
  #150  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,627
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
IHG or Accor? Both of them still allow same day cancellation.
At least with IHG, hopefully you don't care much for elite benefits and those are few and far between (though points earning can be decent.)
hhoope01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread