Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Valet crashed my car - then charged me $38

Old Jun 13, 17, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

I stayed at the Franklin Hotel (a Renaissance Hotel) in Philly earlier this month on a free night for 40K points. When checking out, the valet - who is a full time employee of the hotel - informed me that he had accidentally driven the car into a pillar in the parking garage.

He did about $2K of damage to the car. I got a police report and the hotel accepted liability. But they still charged me $38 for valet parking and took all the points.

Beyond reimbursing me for my insurance deductible, what else should I seek in compensation from the hotel or from Marriott? I've spent dozens of hours dealing with police, the body shop, getting a rental car, insurance companies, etc. Plus this will count as a collision on my insurance policy - which will drive up my rates when the policy renews.

Suggestions?
Old Jun 13, 17, 10:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by noahcon View Post
I stayed at the Franklin Hotel (a Renaissance Hotel) in Philly earlier this month on a free night for 40K points. When checking out, the valet - who is a full time employee of the hotel - informed me that he had accidentally driven the car into a pillar in the parking garage.

He did about $2K of damage to the car. I got a police report and the hotel accepted liability. But they still charged me $38 for valet parking and took all the points.

Beyond reimbursing me for my insurance deductible, what else should I seek in compensation from the hotel or from Marriott? I've spent dozens of hours dealing with police, the body shop, getting a rental car, insurance companies, etc. Plus this will count as a collision on my insurance policy - which will drive up my rates when the policy renews.

Suggestions?
If the hotel accepted financial responsibility, why was an insurance claim filed? If the hotel had paid the body shop, or reimbursed you for your payment to the body shop, then the insurance company would not have known about this and it would not count as a collision on your policy.

It appears you let the hotel off with only reimbursing your deductible. Bad choice IMO.
Old Jun 13, 17, 10:32 am

Your insurance company may be able to go through subrogation. If successful, it should not count against you as an accident.
Old Jun 13, 17, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by noahcon View Post

Suggestions?
This is one of those great teaching moments in life. You let empowerment slip out of your hands when you paid the $38. Who would even think of charging that?

If it were me, I'd ask to speak to the MOD. If he or she refused to waive the charge, I'd put my iPhone on record and start my soon-to-be-viral video then and there.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Were you explicitly charged (told you were) or was it automatically coded at check in and nobody thought to adjust?

Regardless, a phone call or a letter to the GM is warranted asking for the $38 removal and your points back for the "ruined" trip is very likely to be granted if asked for nicely. Mention the troubles and your time/effort and added expenses too.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MB LTTE/A HH DIA, DL
Originally Posted by skimple View Post
Your insurance company may be able to go through subrogation. If successful, it should not count against you as an accident.
This.

If a police report was obtained showing clear liability to someone other than yourself - such as a hotel with big pockets - your insurance company should absolutely purse subrogation, and probably should have already notified you of such action.
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:18 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
First of all, why would you even report this to your insurance company? If the hotel has accepted liability, you should be dealing with their insurance company directly. Any charges from the body shop or car rentals should be billed directly to them. You should not have to pay a deductible if you are dealing with their insurance company. If the hotel subsequently refuses to fix you car, instructs you where to take the car for repairs, or other shady things, then it is time to get your insurance company involved. Once you report the accident to your insurance company, it still counts as a claim, and while it may not immediately raise your rates because you weren't at fault, it can be used in other decisions such as renewing your policy in the future!

As far as the hotel goes, did you speak with anyone about the $38 charge after learning of the accident and did they refuse to take it off? I would definitely speak to the GM and ask not only for the $38 to be refunded, but also request to have the 40,000 points refunded as well. The damage to your car was the fault of one of their employees, ruined your whole stay, and it will be a pain in the butt for you dealing with everything that comes with it. The least the GM could do is refund the $38 and the points.

Let us know what happens!

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jun 15, 17, 8:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Not reporting any accident to your insurance company prevents you from being protected from liability and you risk discovering down the line that the repair wasn't done properly.

If the accident wasn't your fault then you won't be charged higher premiums. At least in the states I've been insured in.

I would definitely want the hotel to provide a police report or a letter or email stating the damaged was caused by a valet.

Surely they didn't refuse to waive your parking fee when asked? I'd hope they just didn't think to ask the front desk to remove it?

I'd ask for a rental car reimbursement during the repairs if your insurance doesn't cover that.
Old Jun 15, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Regardless of if you're at fault an accident can be used to justify not renewing a policy if the accident exceeded a threshold for dollar loss (currently $1770 in PA). So the advice to work directly with the hotel's insurance company and not make a claim with yours is %100 on target.

--Jon
Old Jun 15, 17, 9:27 am

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by maracle View Post

If the accident wasn't your fault then you won't be charged higher premiums.
That is good advice in only 12 states. Your state is one of them.

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman View Post
So the advice to work directly with the hotel's insurance company and not make a claim with yours is %100 on target.

--Jon
^
Old Jun 15, 17, 9:31 am

"A car that has never been in a crash may be worth $15,000 at resale but thousands less if it has been in an accident and repaired. There's a way to make up the difference: a diminished value claim."

How to make a diminished value claim
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:33 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
If the accident wasn't your fault then you won't be charged higher premiums. At least in the states I've been insured in.
And even in a state where that is technically true, would you prefer to have one claim or zero claims on your record?

Do you really trust that an insurance company won't raise your rates if they want to?

I'm on board with those here who say to go after the hotel directly, make sure they pay for your rental car, make sure you get DV, and do not bother involving your own insurance company unless the hotel doesn't play ball.
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:10 pm

Well, it's been three days since OP asked for suggestions yet no further info or acknowledgement.
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
Well, it's been three days since OP asked for suggestions yet no further info or acknowledgement.
In fairness people travel, have personal situations at home, etc, etc, where coming back onto FT is not their first thought. I'm willing to give the OP a break. Now, if it's 6 months from now w/ no response, not so much.

* On a dif bulletin board I frequent (not travel related) someone offered some tickets free to a very popular venue & people were posting that they were po'd he didn't get back to them. He did eventually respond back & apologized, but his mother went into intensive care & then died (so obviously checking email and/or the bulletin board was not his top priority).

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 17, 8:38 am

I would ask for one meeeeeeeelion points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: