Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Valet crashed my car - then charged me $38

Valet crashed my car - then charged me $38

Old Jun 17, 17, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I would check your policy. Most have a requirement to report any accident. If you do not you are violating the terms of your policy and that can cause issues in the future. There is a police report so the insurance company is going to find out regardless.

And you did the right thing by going through your insurance company. The last thing you need to do is waste more time dealing with their insurance and their lawyers. You pay your premiums so you don't have to mess with that - something happens and your car gets fixed. Your insurance company has an incentive (and the time and lawyers) to go after them to get repaid.

If you have to play games to keep your insurance rates low, it is time to find a new insurance company.

As to the other issues, write to the GM and also Marriott Customer Care.
Old Jun 17, 17, 11:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
And even in a state where that is technically true, would you prefer to have one claim or zero claims on your record?

Do you really trust that an insurance company won't raise your rates if they want to?
I believe most insurers follow regulations most of the time. I wouldn't waive the protection provided by my insurer...otherwise why pay for it?

You can easily quote out a policy online with 0 accidents and then with 1 non-fault claim to see if there's a difference.
Old Jun 17, 17, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rthib View Post
I would check your policy. Most have a requirement to report any accident. If you do not you are violating the terms of your policy and that can cause issues in the future. There is a police report so the insurance company is going to find out regardless.

And you did the right thing by going through your insurance company. The last thing you need to do is waste more time dealing with their insurance and their lawyers. You pay your premiums so you don't have to mess with that - something happens and your car gets fixed. Your insurance company has an incentive (and the time and lawyers) to go after them to get repaid.

If you have to play games to keep your insurance rates low, it is time to find a new insurance company.

As to the other issues, write to the GM and also Marriott Customer Care.
This.
Old Jun 18, 17, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find that my local real live human insurance agent is good at handling questions about whether to report a minor accident, what my state's laws say, etc. I've also gotten good advice from some long term service advisors at my dealership and from my local AAA office or even their emergency road service phone agents (which was able to tell me instantly the threshold for reporting accidents to the police in the given state).

You might also be able to find a comprehensible summary of your state's laws on some state consumer protection or insurance website. There might be a phone number for questions of this nature.
Old Jun 19, 17, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Since the hotel accepted responsibility, your insurance company should be going after them, the at-fault party (Marriott) for reimbursement of their cost... ie what they pay your repair shop to get the car fixed. They shouldn't be dinging your rates because of an accident that was not your fault.
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
At a minimum, I would ask for the 40,000 points spent at the hotel returned, $38 refunded, and covering the damaged vehicle resale difference.
Old Jun 27, 17, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy View Post
I would ask for one meeeeeeeelion points.
This sounds like the best course of action.

Current status is that my insurance company is fighting the claims agency of the hotel. Exactly what you all said would happen. Good news is that the hotel accepted responsibility for the accident in the police report.

In hindsight, your advice to not go to my own agency probably would have been the smartest move. On the other hand, I didn't want to drive a damaged car around for a week or two until it got resolved. But vanity probably wasn't worth the scar on my insurance record.

I did ask the MOD for the valet charge to be removed, but he refused stating that he was a junior weekend manager and couldn't do anything. He gave me the GMs phone number who, naturally, never returned my phone calls.
Old Jun 27, 17, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Originally Posted by noahcon View Post
I did ask the MOD for the valet charge to be removed, but he refused stating that he was a junior weekend manager and couldn't do anything. He gave me the GMs phone number who, naturally, never returned my phone calls.
Time to tweet at them - make it public
Old Jun 27, 17, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium

I'm not understanding their meaning of the word "manager".
Old Jun 28, 17, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm wondering, have you contacted Marriott corporate regarding the incident?
Old Jun 28, 17, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
"Either you can remove the charge now, or I'll dispute it with my credit card company and you can explain to your GM why you didn't."
Old Jul 11, 17, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
OP, any update?
Old Jul 11, 17, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
"Either you can remove the charge now, or I'll dispute it with my credit card company and you can explain to your GM why you didn't."
Technically its a valid charge. Also I would under no circumstances be talking with hotel about refunding the charge or giving points back. OP runs the risk of causing a nightmare if claim has to goto court. Let insurance company handle it, and once done then ask for points back.

As for insurance rates, OP wasn't driving thus even in no-fault states this can't be used to raise rates.
Old Jul 11, 17, 5:49 am

Check out some of the TA reviews of this place, someone had their car broken into while it was valet parked. Several mentions of mice. Can't believe that the GM of this property didn't return your phone call. But this is Philly after all, where service levels are low. Also, can't believe the manager on duty was not empowered to remove charges. You need to get someone at Marriott involved and let them know how you have been treated.
Old Jul 11, 17, 5:54 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
I stayed at the Franklin Hotel (a Renaissance Hotel) in Philly earlier this month on a free night for 40K points. When checking out, the valet - who is a full time employee of the hotel - informed me that he had accidentally driven the car into a pillar in the parking garage.

He did about $2K of damage to the car. I got a police report and the hotel accepted liability. But they still charged me $38 for valet parking and took all the points.

Beyond reimbursing me for my insurance deductible, what else should I seek in compensation from the hotel or from Marriott? I've spent dozens of hours dealing with police, the body shop, getting a rental car, insurance companies, etc. Plus this will count as a collision on my insurance policy - which will drive up my rates when the policy renews.

Suggestions?
Similar thing happened to me at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor. Stay was on points.

The hotel didn't own / operate the garage and the valet was not a Marriott employee. Marriott essentially pointed me to the individual in charge of the garage and the garage management company handled everything. The hotel should be covering ALL YOUR DAMAGE ... not your deductible for collision that wasn't your fault.

The Marriott front desk manager was very kind and apologetic, but the Marriott GM was unapologetic. No vouchers or anything were offered, nor did I ask. We'll never stay there again.

As for the young valet that banged up my new van, totaling $6.5k in damage, well my wife had him in tears when pointing out how reckless he was with someone else's property.

Last edited by xtremeski2001; Jul 11, 17 at 5:59 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: