Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

poor Treatment from Mexico City Marriott Reforma

poor Treatment from Mexico City Marriott Reforma

 
Old Jun 13, 17, 11:55 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by HGB View Post
you were not staying in some sort of one star motel...
Well it is only a Cat 5.
Tanic is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 12:23 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: Recovered UA 1k, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Alaska gold75
Posts: 18
Message to Marriott

Very interesting post and comments. They provide a good reminder that behavior, customs and language are nuanced and differ from country to country. The bottom line for me is that this hotel is going on my no fly list. As a Marriott platinum I am happy to reward bad customer service by voting with my dollars and sharing my opinions in all appropriate forms.
GilpinGal is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 12:52 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,173
Originally Posted by GilpinGal View Post
Very interesting post and comments. They provide a good reminder that behavior, customs and language are nuanced and differ from country to country. The bottom line for me is that this hotel is going on my no fly list. As a Marriott platinum I am happy to reward bad customer service by voting with my dollars and sharing my opinions in all appropriate forms.
At the end of the day, this was a casual remark by an elevator guard in Mexico City trying to do his low-wage job.

If it were me, I'd laugh it off and move on.
JackE is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 12:54 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,173
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Because young Hispanic women don't check in to hotels near Mexico City's red light district and then go out and pick up older white male hookers and bring them back to the room.

Bingo.
JackE is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 4:38 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern Cal
Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Posts: 89
One late evening in Thailand I got on a hotel elevator and a man in a suit got on behind me. He punched a floor number higher than mine, but got off with me on my floor, where he claimed to be security. He stated that he believed I had an unregistered guest in my room and insisted on looking in. So I let him, where he found no one.
When I brought it up with management the next day, they said they would check into it. Their response later was that no one in security had reported doing anything like that. On top of that, the description I gave of the guy's clothing did not match the clothing worn by their security. I still wonder who he was and why he didn't see me escort my guest out right before I got on the elevator.
Scott Kiwi is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 4:43 pm
  #96  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 67,814
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi View Post
One late evening in Thailand I got on a hotel elevator and a man in a suit got on behind me. He punched a floor number higher than mine, but got off with me on my floor, where he claimed to be security. He stated that he believed I had an unregistered guest in my room and insisted on looking in. So I let him, where he found no one.
Were you out of your freeking mind? There's no way I'd let someone claiming to be security who wanted to check things out/look into/go into my room, without him providing his hotel ID & let me confirm w/ the FDC he was who he said he was, especially if he punched in a higher floor # than mine & then got off w/ me.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 4:58 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: RDU
Posts: 4,172
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi View Post
One late evening in Thailand I got on a hotel elevator and a man in a suit got on behind me. He punched a floor number higher than mine, but got off with me on my floor, where he claimed to be security. He stated that he believed I had an unregistered guest in my room and insisted on looking in. So I let him, where he found no one.
When I brought it up with management the next day, they said they would check into it. Their response later was that no one in security had reported doing anything like that. On top of that, the description I gave of the guy's clothing did not match the clothing worn by their security. I still wonder who he was and why he didn't see me escort my guest out right before I got on the elevator.
Stupid thing to do. You were lucky.
zitsky is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 5:10 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: DCA-IAD-BWI
Programs: AA-Exp/CK, UA-GS, MR-Plt, GOLD: HH, Stwd, Hyatt
Posts: 1
My $.02....being Colombian and having been to every Marriott in Latin America several times, I can tell you that as some have noted, a lot hinges on how you say "acompañante". Also, having babysat "gringos" at some of these properties and after discussions with hotel managers, the reason for registering mostly women (but it goes both ways....) is for your own protection. The "acompañantes" some times leave the otherwise unsuspecting guest tied up, drugged or worse. Hence the request to register and in many cases, they are expected to leave their ID (cédula, RG, Registro, etc) at the front desk .
JohnDuke is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 6:35 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Stupid thing to do. You were lucky.
Yeah, but is there any good way to deal with that situation?

I'd probably demand he accompany me back down to the front desk, but that doesn't play out very well either way.

If he's legit, you get an angry security guard, likely ejection from the hotel, and possible worse consequences.

If he's planning on robbing you, you're at a disadvantage as soon as you got off the elevator. Particularly so if he's armed, which is maybe more likely in the US than in Asia.
mauve is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 6:59 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: RDU
Posts: 4,172
Originally Posted by mauve View Post
Yeah, but is there any good way to deal with that situation?

I'd probably demand he accompany me back down to the front desk, but that doesn't play out very well either way.

If he's legit, you get an angry security guard, likely ejection from the hotel, and possible worse consequences.

If he's planning on robbing you, you're at a disadvantage as soon as you got off the elevator. Particularly so if he's armed, which is maybe more likely in the US than in Asia.
You obviously think the answer is to let him in your room. Wrong. Call the front desk or the police. If the guy has a gun, give him your money. If you let him in your room, bad things can happen. It's not just women that get raped. Sorry.
zitsky is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 7:44 pm
  #101  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 67,814
Originally Posted by mauve View Post
Yeah, but is there any good way to deal with that situation?

I'd probably demand he accompany me back down to the front desk, but that doesn't play out very well either way.

If he's legit, you get an angry security guard, likely ejection from the hotel, and possible worse consequences.

If he's planning on robbing you, you're at a disadvantage as soon as you got off the elevator. Particularly so if he's armed, which is maybe more likely in the US than in Asia.
There are many legit ways to handle the situation which don't involve getting robbed, raped or ejection from the hotel. And I'd disagree w/ the more likely to have a security guard armed in the US. Security guards aren't armed at all & legit ones have walkie-talkies.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 7:50 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You obviously think the answer is to let him in your room. Wrong. Call the front desk or the police. If the guy has a gun, give him your money. If you let him in your room, bad things can happen. It's not just women that get raped. Sorry.
I wrote what I would do and that certainly isn't going to involve letting him into my room. But the options available are all bad.

If you don't let him into your room, and he's going to rape you, then he's just going to take your key and follow through anyway.

If he is actually a guard, people get beaten or maced for "disrespect" all the time.
mauve is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:00 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
There are many legit ways to handle the situation which don't involve getting robbed, raped or ejection from the hotel. And I'd disagree w/ the more likely to have a security guard armed in the US. Security guards aren't armed at all & legit ones have walkie-talkies.

Cheers.
I meant a random criminal is more likely to be armed, at least with a gun, in the US.

But, I have absolutely seen armed security guards at hotels in the US. Mostly uniformed contractors, but also several plainclothes employees at a large Hilton.
mauve is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:14 pm
  #104  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 67,814
Originally Posted by mauve View Post
I wrote what I would do and that certainly isn't going to involve letting him into my room. But the options available are all bad.
No, not all options are bad. But if you think they are, then they are for you (generic you). And unlike you I don't see many armed hotel security guards in the US.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:39 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
No, not all options are bad. But if you think they are, then they are for you (generic you). And unlike you I don't see many armed hotel security guards in the US.
You clearly disagree with my plan to go back down to the front desk, where there are would be both witnesses and clearly identifiable hotel staff. So, what would you do?

And can I take it you don't stay at hotels in New York City, Chicago, or Nevada?
mauve is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: