Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

poor Treatment from Mexico City Marriott Reforma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

poor Treatment from Mexico City Marriott Reforma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:30 am

I'm light years away from being a hard-core feminist but this is absolutely one of the most blatantly sexist and generally bassackwards things I have ever heard of in my entire life. That a major US corporation is okay with women being systematically written off as hookers and literally priced as such is astounding.

Just curious, if a middle-aged female guest came back from dinner and drinks with a handsome young fellow, would she be asked to ante up for her "companion" or would it be assumed that the man had scored a M!LF-type deal on the local market?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by zitsky
How many hotel employees have access to an in room safe?
Anyone that has done a Google search for hotel safes. If the property has not taken the steps to secure the safes and left the defaults set they are pretty easy to open (just like wifi routers left with default passwords).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jphripjah
What do you guys think the security officer should have done differently? His job is to make sure that hotel guests are not bringing unregistered "friends" up to the rooms. This is not usually a gambit to generate revenue; it's to protect the security and safety of all guests. Unregistered visitors to the hotel are more likely to cause problems, drug hotel guests, steal from those guests or from other rooms, etc. It's perfectly reasonable for the hotel to want to identify any visitors entering the hotel late at night.

The security officer didn't say "Hey, she's a hooker!" He simply saw someone entering the hotel late at night who he believed, based on his observations and experience, was not a registered guest. Why he believed that, I don't know. If the OP is an older white male and the wife is a younger Hispanic female, well, that might be part of the reason. At some hotels in some parts of the world, when a white guy returns to the hotel late at night with a young local woman, then she is usually an unregistered "new friend." Or maybe he had seen, or thought the had seen, the OP in the hotel alone before and now was surprised to see him a companion. He got it wrong, but I don't think it's fair to expect them to be 100% accurate when seeing someone who they think is unregistered.

If we agree that hotels can and should restrict guests from bringing unregistered "friends" up to the rooms at night, then how else can they do that except by having security officers stop people who appear to be unregistered when they are going up to the rooms? If the security officers never stopped anyone, for fear of offending the occasional couple, then they'd end up letting a bunch of unregistered hookers, I mean "visitors" up to the rooms.

Simply put, stopping unregistered hookers from going up to the rooms is an important respect of hotel security in Latin America and the only way to do that is to stop couples entering the hotel late at night and verify that they are both registered.
His actions indicated he thought the woman was a hooker. Why didn't security contact registration to verify that she was a guest?

Why didn't the security guy suspect that the male was the hooker?

No guest of a hotel should be treated in this manner. I would insist on some type of acceptable resolution on part of the hotel.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by jlb3
The Marriott Orlando World Center also thought another lady friend I was traveling with was my wife and called her Mrs. JLB3 - while looking at our room reservation with 2 beds. Nothing to get worked up about, but funny.

I have known plenty of long and happily married couples sleeping in separate beds, and at home in different rooms.The most common reason is the loud snoring by the husband that prevents the wife from having a sound sleep. When therapy for snoring does not work, different beds is the solution. In a hotel it is impractical to have different rooms, so separate beds is the next best compromise.

The other common reasons are when one person tosses and turns so much in the sleep that it disturbs the sleep of the other person. Or when one has to get up early ( say for exercise) and does not want to wake the other person up.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by kamban
I have known plenty of long and happily married couples sleeping in separate beds, and at home in different rooms.The most common reason is the loud snoring by the husband that prevents the wife from having a sound sleep. When therapy for snoring does not work, different beds is the solution. In a hotel it is impractical to have different rooms, so separate beds is the next best compromise.

The other common reasons are when one person tosses and turns so much in the sleep that it disturbs the sleep of the other person. Or when one has to get up early ( say for exercise) and does not want to wake the other person up.
We're married 40 years and when we travel I book whatever room type is least expensive - you'd be surprised how half the time 1 king costs more, and the other half of the time 2 doubles cost more (I'd have thought 2 doubles all the time because more work, more towels, able to have more people), but not true.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:10 am

If we agree that hotels can and should restrict guests from bringing unregistered "friends" up to the rooms at night, then how else can they do that except by having security officers stop people who appear to be unregistered when they are going up to the rooms? If the security officers never stopped anyone, for fear of offending the occasional couple, then they'd end up letting a bunch of unregistered hookers, I mean "visitors" up to the rooms.
Strongly disagree. What if I want to bring a hooker to my room? I should be able to do so, period.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by germ65
Strongly disagree. What if I want to bring a hooker to my room? I should be able to do so, period.
Why shouldn't the business owner be able to decide who enters and doesn't enter the premises? If you don't like the rules, stay at a more hooker friendly property.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Why didn't the security guy suspect that the male was the hooker?
Because young Hispanic women don't check in to hotels near Mexico City's red light district and then go out and pick up older white male hookers and bring them back to the room.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because young Hispanic women don't check in to hotels near Mexico City's red light district and then go out and pick up older white male hookers and bring them back to the room.
I've never stayed at the hotel mentioned by OP. Is it truly near the red light district? Even then the security guards actions cannot be forgiven for the way the issue was handled. The guard essentially called the hotel guest a whore. That is an insult and uncalled for. The simple fact that that the male wasn't considered as the hooker just shows the typical male bias.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just curious what happens at registration that will then allow the security guard know the guest is allowed to pass? A stamp on the wrist/forehead? Was the guard able to see the front desk and get a wave from the FDC?

I too ask for two room keys when travelling on my own. You never know when a spare will come in handy. Even when it's a special event and wristbands are used, I ask for a second. And then, I will usually wrap it around my wallet instead of broadcasting where I'm stay while out and about.

I understand the need for security and prefer only known guests are allowed to roam the halls. But that doesn't negate the need to be aware of your surroundings and taking the necessary safety precautions. If I feel I'm being followed to my room, I will walk by and maybe hit the vending/ice machines. I had one "lady" try to follow me into my room. I ask her what she was doing and was told I had called her. I suggested she call her "John" back as I was not him. She called me a liar and stormed off. I just hope my call to the front desk was answered before she got out of the elevator.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:35 am

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
Understandably offended, but...

You and your wife are understandably offended, but stuff happens. The first time I visited Russia with my girlfriend (who is now my wife and is Russian), she visited me in my hotel in St. Petersburg and received a similar inquiry from hotel security.
While my wife was scandalized at the idea of being thought a possible lady for hire, at the same time she recognized that this is a real occurrence daily.
Mexico City isn't particularly safe, nor was Russia at that time, so we both recognized that stuff happens and ultimately it is better to be secure than polite.
A politely worded note to hotel management that they should train their security guards to be more polite is in order, but IMO anything more is verging on DYKWIA.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I've never stayed at the hotel mentioned by OP. Is it truly near the red light district?
In short - yes.

As I wrote in a previos post, you have a restaurant just 100m from the side entrance to the hotel where the girls are showing insane amount of cleavage and show a level of kindness to the male guests that is unheard of in a "normal" place.

Add to that a lot of shady bars, hustlers offering drugs and women and a few sex shops. All within 5 mins walking.

And then to the other side you have the pulsating business avenue Paseo de la Reforma with office towers, lunch restaurants, malls, Starbucks en masse etc.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:23 am

This happened to me in Puerto Rico

I scouted out the hotel in San Juan first with my wife in the rental car. This wasn't a mom and pop place, but a decent sized hotel.

The hotel was fine and I registered. I walked back into the lobby with my wife and was stopped by security. He questioned why we were not bringing in luggage. Since we were catching an early flight we were just bring in a few things in a beach bag like carrier.

Bottom line, my wife showed ID--which was carefully scrutinized--and we were "free" to go to the room. The guard explained about the hooker issue and apologized.

We actually had a good laugh about it. My wife thought it was kind of kinky that she and I could have been hooker and john.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:31 am
BJM

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by c1ue
You and your wife are understandably offended, but stuff happens. The first time I visited Russia with my girlfriend (who is now my wife and is Russian), she visited me in my hotel in St. Petersburg and received a similar inquiry from hotel security.
While my wife was scandalized at the idea of being thought a possible lady for hire, at the same time she recognized that this is a real occurrence daily.
Mexico City isn't particularly safe, nor was Russia at that time, so we both recognized that stuff happens and ultimately it is better to be secure than polite.
A politely worded note to hotel management that they should train their security guards to be more polite is in order, but IMO anything more is verging on DYKWIA.
​​​​​​
I agree with C1ue. This seems the best approach.

to the OP jkreisler999 - the original interaction was three days ago. What did you decide in terms of follow up? What was management's response?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, they do, although it's more commonly men perceived to be of around the same age or younger. And there is also male homosexual prostitution, and yet two perceived males coming in together are less likely to be confronted like this than a perceived male and perceived female coming in together or two females coming in together.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 13, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.