FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Travel Packages after SPG merger (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1847380-travel-packages-after-spg-merger.html)

drmish1 Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Travel Packages after SPG merger

Hi there,

Can anyone please advise me if they know / have any thoughts, on what is likely to happen to the travel packages once the rewards merger happens with the SPG program...

I'm currently saving towards one, which might be around the end of the year, and would then be looking to upgrade that sometime next year (2018)....

Are the vouchers likely to still be active, and if so will they likely still be upgradeable ?

And importantly will SPG properties be coded into Marriott categories, and therefore be bookable with a travel package voucher in 2018 ?

Thanks for any advice

Srisarin Jun 10, 2017 1:25 pm

All you'll get is TOTAL speculative responses as NO one knows what the TPs will be, if any.

mahasamatman Jun 10, 2017 5:44 pm

The only (second-hand) word we've had recently is that we won't have any information on the new program until late 2018 at the earliest, so I would assume the status quo until 2019.

sdsearch Jun 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28427548)
The only (second-hand) word we've had recently is that we won't have any information on the new program until late 2018 at the earliest, so I would assume the status quo until 2019.

If you're referring the thread about the quote, to me that quote was murky as to whether it was talking about announcement or implementation. So I wouldn't count on nothing being announced before late 2018.

However, counting on nothing actually changing (even if announced) until late 2018 might seem a bit safer. (But that still assumes they don't dribble out changes.)

SkiAdcock Jun 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Ironically enough if there are changes or dropping of the travel packages before the final merger, it might be due to the stampede of SPG elites transferring points to Marriott to redeem them ;) :p :D

Right now no one knows. The 2 programs won't be totally implemented until late '18/early '19, but doesn't mean there might not be some changes on either program before then. My guess is (and it's only that) is that since the programs won't merge for a year, the travel packages will still be Marriott only & not SPG properties. If the OP is saving & thinks he'll have points by end of year for '18, he'll probably be ok.

Cheers.

UA-NYC Jun 11, 2017 5:52 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28428113)
Ironically enough if there are changes or dropping of the travel packages before the final merger, it might be due to the stampede of SPG elites transferring points to Marriott to redeem them ;) :p :D

The 5 day TP is still an unofficial, jump through hoops, get the right agent kind of situation, right? I'd happily use one of those...7 doesn't fit my travel patterns.

hhoope01 Jun 11, 2017 6:21 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 28428678)
The 5 day TP is still an unofficial, jump through hoops, get the right agent kind of situation, right? I'd happily use one of those...7 doesn't fit my travel patterns.

From more recent posts its looking like the few remaining "hoops" one could jump through are getting fewer and smaller. So that window may be closing completely. :eek:

UA-NYC Jun 11, 2017 7:56 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 28428731)
From more recent posts its looking like the few remaining "hoops" one could jump through are getting fewer and smaller. So that window may be closing completely. :eek:

Figures - I like to city/hotel hop too much for a 7 nighter...but I get they are great for those who can/like to do that.

SkiAdcock Jun 11, 2017 9:28 am

A FT friend redeemed for a 7-day, but just blew off the last couple of nights (letting the hotel know of course at check-in). Evidently w/ the airline + hotel stuff it was still worth it for them.

Cheers.

hhoope01 Jun 11, 2017 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28429158)
A FT friend redeemed for a 7-day, but just blew off the last couple of nights (letting the hotel know of course at check-in). Evidently w/ the airline + hotel stuff it was still worth it for them.

I have a 6 night stay at the CasaMagna Puerto Vallarta where I am using a 7 night TP hotel award cert.

I used the TP award to get my Southwest CP along with the 120K points (just before Southwest plugged that hole). I could have thrown away the hotel cert and still felt it was worth the Marriott points. ;)

sdsearch Jun 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by drmish1 (Post 28426825)
And importantly will SPG properties be coded into Marriott categories, and therefore be bookable with a travel package voucher in 2018 ?

Ironically, "newer news" seems to suggest its the merged reservation system itself they're mostly talking about when they say "by late 2018". So since it would require a merged reservation system for SPG properties to be bookable, it's quite likely that the merging of the reservation system might be the last step, not the first step, in the merging of the two programs. So I don't think it's likely you'll be able to book SPG properties as part of a travel package until the new program exists.

kenban Jun 12, 2017 9:06 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 28428678)

The 5 night package is official and no hoops are required as long as you own a Marriott Timeshare. In the past some Marriott representatives have been willing to allow people to order them without meeting the requirements but that is extremely rare now.

aaupgrade Jun 12, 2017 9:30 am

There have also been reports that 5-night TPs are a PP benefit. See post #234 in thread found at the link provided below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post28090109

t1c Jun 12, 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 28431252)
Ironically, "newer news" seems to suggest its the merged reservation system itself they're mostly talking about when they say "by late 2018". So since it would require a merged reservation system for SPG properties to be bookable, it's quite likely that the merging of the reservation system might be the last step, not the first step, in the merging of the two programs. So I don't think it's likely you'll be able to book SPG properties as part of a travel package until the new program exists.

It should work the same, if the rewards system works then the packages should work.

If the reservations system does not work then that's a whole other issue.