Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Torrance/Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach

Old May 16, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite

I'm trying to decide among 2 full service Marriotts (Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach Marriott) and the Residence Inn Los Angeles/Torrance Redondo Beach (the one near the Del Amo mall, not the one near the 405 freeway). 4 day multi-room family stay over Thanksgiving; 3 senior couples, 1 couple with 2 very young children.

Price doesn't appear to be significantly different; they're all between $130 and $155 a night with parking. I'm moderately familiar with the area - at least, I know the LAX area and the Marina/Venice pretty well - but I've never stayed at any of these hotels and the reviews here on FT are either old, non-existent. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the best one for this stay.
Thanks,
ST
Old May 16, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP ,Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond
LAX Area

Redondo is recently renovated and can walk to shopping mall & restaurants right across street. Free Parking also I think. Manhattan Beach is a nicer hotel IMO on a golf course but in an office park and need to drive everywhere.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Parrotinct
Redondo is recently renovated and can walk to shopping mall & restaurants right across street. Free Parking also I think. .
I read elsewhere in FT that the renovations were supposed to start September 2017 and finish by year end 2017 - was this off by a year? Parking at the Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach is $21 overnight, unfortunately. Free at the Residence Inn across the (rather large) street.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Manhattan Beach Marriott. As noted, it's on a golf course, closer to the beach than the others, closer to downtown Manhattan Beach (and also a mall if that's important) as well as restaurants within walking distance, and also closer access to the freeways than the others. The other two are pushing to say they're beach properties/just trying to fool people.

I used to live in Manhattan Beach, but have been to the others.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I had a poor stay, riddled with problems, at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. I filled out an honest post-stay survey and they put some points in my account; I replied that I wasn't looking for points but rather to help them improve by pointing out several guest service failures with suggestions on how to better handle things. I never heard from them again, so apparently they think throwing points at problems makes them go away. In this case it did, because I'll never stay there again!

Also, to add my two cents to a few of Sharon's points, there are actually MANY more restaurants within walking distance of the Torrance Marriott, and it offers similar freeway access. Proximity to downtown Manhattan Beach isn't a big selling point, and the distance to the actual beach is close enough between the two that it's not a differentiator.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Manhattan Beach Marriott (Cat 7): Unclear if there is a concierge lounge lounge, self parking is $29/day (valet: $35), options for off street parking during non-work and weekends, has a 9 hole golf course and is down the street from the back of the Manhattan Beach Mall

Torrance Marriott (Cat 6): Has a concierge lounge but you may want to confirm that it is open (posts from the thread from late last year indicated remodeling activity), self parking is $21/day (valet: $22), option for parking in old Sports Authority parking lot adjacent to hotel or even across Torrance Boulevard, right next to Del Amo (Fashion Center) Mall

Torrance Residence Inn (Cat 6): No concierge lounge but you get breakfast, complimentary self parking, across the street from the Torrance Marriott so you can walk through the lobby and common areas to see how it differs from the Residence Inn

I'd also note that neither of the Torrance properties should have "Redondo Beach" attached but you can easily drive west along Torrance Boulevard and enter the City of Redondo Beach within 5 minutes and be at the Redondo Beach Pier and its beaches in another 5. Similarly for the Manhattan Beach Marriott, if you drive west along Rosecrans Boulevard, you'll get to the beach in about 10 minutes (or less if there's no traffic) and then another 5 minutes to downtown Manhattan Beach.

During the Thanksgiving period, you'll probably find more activity around the two Torrance properties but if you're going to be driving around the Los Angeles basin, the Manhattan Beach Marriott has quicker access to both the 405 and the 105 freeways (depending on traffic) while the two Torrance locations have about 10-15 minute drives to get to either the 405 or the 110.

Weatherwise, it will likely be in the mid 60s during the days - probably a little warmer than CT. If the kids are big enough, all three have pools - Manhattan Beach claims a kids pool as well but I don't recall one.

Personally, I'd prefer the Torrance Marriott for that large of a group but, depending on the preferences of the rest of the crew, all three hotels will work fairly well.

Have fun and enjoy the area!

David
Old May 17, 2017, 8:00 am

DELee does a good summary. I'd add a couple of things to the Manhattan Beach Marriott. It does have an exec lounge, although last report is it's closed on the weekend. It also has multiple restaurants that are within walking distance of it, as well as a Bristol Farms & Trader Joe. To the beach is 5-10 minutes, depending on traffic/lights & access to 405/105 is easier.

What are the plans for the Thanksgiving weekend? Are you planning on staying in the South Bay, or will you be traveling all over?

It's not unusual for temps to be in the 70s over Turkey Day weekend, although it could be cooler in the 60s.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I stayed at the Torrance Marriott last week. It is not yet under renovation and the concierge lounge is open. George, the lounge attendant in the morning, is fantastic. They do plan to renovate later this year, and unfortunately, they plan to remove the desks at that time . As mentioned above, it's right across the street from the Del Amo Fashion Center, which has some pretty good restaurants; Din Tai Fung just opened a location there and is a must-try.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
DELee What are the plans for the Thanksgiving weekend? Are you planning on staying in the South Bay, or will you be traveling all over?
Cheers.
Family gathering, 3 generations from boomers to post-millenials (ie a couple of little ones). 18-20 people all told, half staying in hotels and half doing the AirBnB thing. The old folks are voting for a hotel.

Beach isn't important; Thanksgiving weekend usually includes an excessive amount of eating and football on TV, plus some friendly family competitions (usually involving bar games). Dinners in Manhattan Beach, maybe trips on the bike path from Redondo to Venice... all pretty low key.

Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach is starting to sound like a winner; I haven't heard anyone recommend the RI on the other side of Hawthorne, and Manhattan Beach fs Marriott sounds a little bit conferency.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PM, Hertz PC
I really like the Torrance Marriott. So many places to eat across the street at the mall. Easily walkable. The lounge has great views and friendly staff. This year, their prices during my annual business trip were insane so I stayed at the Redondo Beach Residence which was fine. Less than 10 minutes to the beach restaurants. Somewhat seedy area though. One morning when I went to my car, there was lots of broken glass everywhere and the car next to me had multiple bullet holes in it.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:11 pm

RBRI is on Marine near the freeway. It's not a great location, but it's not worry about your life situation either. It's a couple of minutes from the Performing Arts Center.

PS - I don't care if it's Redondo or MB. What's w/ the love of 'restaurants at the mall'? (not aimed at anyone in particular since multiple people have said it). You (generic you) are in SoCal. Do you really want to eat at a mall restaurant when you're in SoCal?

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What's w/ the love of 'restaurants at the mall'? (not aimed at anyone in particular since multiple people have said it). You (generic you) are in SoCal. Do you really want to eat at a mall restaurant when you're in SoCal?
Sharon, I think you said you USED to live in Manhattan Beach, so I'm assuming you've moved out of the area. The Del Amo mall has been almost completely redone and is now an upscale version of what it used to be. While some national chains have moved in, there are also a number of local chains and individually-owned restaurants that make it worth dining there, even for a local. And I know when I'm on travel, either for business or pleasure, I sometimes just want a solid, dependable meal that's close to my hotel. Of course one could hit all the amazing dining locales that greater L.A. has to offer, but unless that is the purpose of the trip then I definitely think that a hotel that has proximity to a wide range of great choices has a definite advantage.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Sharon, I think you said you USED to live in Manhattan Beach, so I'm assuming you've moved out of the area. The Del Amo mall has been almost completely redone and is now an upscale version of what it used to be. While some national chains have moved in, there are also a number of local chains and individually-owned restaurants that make it worth dining there, even for a local. And I know when I'm on travel, either for business or pleasure, I sometimes just want a solid, dependable meal that's close to my hotel. Of course one could hit all the amazing dining locales that greater L.A. has to offer, but unless that is the purpose of the trip then I definitely think that a hotel that has proximity to a wide range of great choices has a definite advantage.
Fair enough. Although looking at the list I'd quibble.

Also, it's not like an extra 5-10 minutes is going to kill someone to actually go to other places (especially at the beach). I'm not saying they need to go to Santa Monica or Bev Hills, but if I (speaking only for me) had to choose between eating at/next to a mall & eating at the beach (which had good restaurants), I'd go for the beach over a mall any day given the 3 beach cities are so close. However, if someone doesn't want to drive the 5-10 minutes, then of course Del Amo has options. FWIW - there are multiple restaurants w/in walking distance of MB Marriott as well, although not as plentiful as a large scale mall.

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:18 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
I grew up in the South Bay. I lived in Manhattan Beach for many years. I worked for Marriott with an office near LAX. Its the Manhattan Beach Marriott in a heartbeat.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by ned
I grew up in the South Bay. I lived in Manhattan Beach for many years. I worked for Marriott with an office near LAX. Its the Manhattan Beach Marriott in a heartbeat.
Except for the inferior physical plant, ho-hum office park location, unempowered staff, lame on-site restaurant, unnecessarily overpriced parking, and indifferent management. What exactly makes you recommend it "in a heartbeat"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.