Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What constitutes "a daily choice of breakfast"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What constitutes "a daily choice of breakfast"?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
What next, criteria for spelling "center" as Center verses centre because that's the way the Brits spell it !!
Crap, there's a sticky. If they can't find it or know about it this is not kindergarten......

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yet it seems since this sentiment has been posted there has been a doubling down on its usage of "brekkie" instead of breakfast. Putting aside what someone might think of the word itself, an infrequent user coming to the site might search for a specific hotel and narrow the search for breakfast, not knowing there is a dedicated sticky. Using the term "brekkie" will make it impossible for someone to find the information. If we care about helping fellow travelers, we won't use the unusual term. The fact there has been increased and what seems gratuitous use of the term is mystifying.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP
For the amount of time & effort Sharon puts into this board for the benefit of complete strangers, she can call breakfast whatever she wants, just don't call me late for brekkie!

Actually I am not a breakfast fan but sometimes travel with girl friends who are and it cringes me to pay $40+ for the tiniest of breakfasts with crappy service, ala JW Marriott San Francisco.

Her contributions are priceless.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
Actually I am not a breakfast fan but sometimes travel with girl friends who are and it cringes me to pay $40+ for the tiniest of breakfasts with crappy service, ala JW Marriott San Francisco.
There's nothing worse than ordering off a menu only to have them bring you something from the buffet.

At increasing number of Marriott properties at least have Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt, which is a little better quality than the $0.85 tiny containers of Dannon yogurt flavored with artificial ingredients.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, here's another thing, has Marriott ever defined "continental breakfast"?

IMHO, "continental breakfast" in the hotel industry at large is such an overused and misused term that it's pretty meaningless. I think it originally meant the standard southern European breakfast of toast and jam and coffee. (It certainly didn't mean the lavish standard Scandinavian breakfast, even though technically the Scandinavian peninsula is still part of the "continent".)

There are budget hotel chain aplenty all across the US (not sure about other parts of the world) where "continental" breakfast might mean only donuts or bagels and maybe cereal for the kids.

OTOH, at "lower midscale" properties with a free breakfast, "continental" breakfast means whatever is on the buffet, even if it includes one or two token hot food items.

Finally, at those few Marriott-program properties where I've been given it, "continental" breakfast simply means the cold buffet, as opposed to the hot buffet. But what is on the cold buffet of course varies. At a better hotel, it's hopefully got at least sliced cheese/meats you can put on your bread for a bit more substantial breakfast than just bread alone.

Anyway, back to Europe, Europe is big place, with lots of different countries. As I already mentioned, putting Marriott aside for a moment, the standard across other indie or small chain hotels for breakfast is completely different in Italy versus Norway. It's as different (in variety, though not quality) as the difference between a Days Inn and the buffet at a Ritz, in that in Italy it's just a few breads and jams on your table, while in Norway it's often a multi-room buffet that beats any other free buffet I've had in hotels anywhere else in the world by a mile.
I agree that breakfast spreads do vary from country-to-country. With that said, Marriott is an American hotelier. Even the worst Marriott buffet breakfast or concierge/executive/M Club lounge breakfast has at a minimum oatmeal, eggs, meat, toast, yogurt, milk, juice, water and coffee.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always understood "continental" to mean cold food items - breads, hard-boiled eggs, cured meats - along with cold or hot beverages. In the US, particularly, these can be pretty bleak with more cellophane than any meal should include.
"Full" I take to mean table service with a complete menu of hot or cold choices.
"Buffet" means Sterno and chafing dishes and hope for the best. These have often been questionable in terms of quality.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Honestly, when I hear the term "continental breakfast", I think of a hard roll, toast, jams, butter, hot tea, and coffee. *Maybe* a cheese plate - a real simple one. I used to stay in pensiones or other small (budget) hotels that had this offering, and to this day it's the definition that comes to mind.

To the OP: the benefit at European hotels very much reads like the guest can choose two breakfasts in the restaurant. I can't think of any way to parse it differently, and the fact that the following sentence specifically references continental breakfast at U.S. hotels only enhances my belief that it's intended to be any two breakfasts, guests' choice. Regardless of whether you think U.S. hotels limiting guests to "continental" breakfasts (of any definition) is nonsensical, the fact is they *don't* call out the same limitation for non-U.S./Canada hotels.

Think about it: if you booked a rate that included "dinner for two in the restaurant", with no further modifiers or fine print, you'd be very upset if you got there and saw a full menu, but were told you only get cold items from the appetizer/salad list. You might expect booze or dessert to not be included, but you'd expect the core menu.

Given that Marriott doesn't seem to be purposely trying to pull a fast one here, it seems like they should correct the behaviors of this Autograph Collection hotel as soon as possible.

Starwood's terms and conditions are immaterial. The programs haven't been merged yet.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
However, as I noted up thread (quoting myself now)

Found this:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-promot...d-breakfast.mi

"There's more on the menu. Any time the lounge is closed, or if you’re staying at a hotel in Europe without a lounge, you'll have a choice of continental breakfast for two in the hotel restaurant or 750 Rewards points. If you’re outside of the U.S. or Canada, you’ll also enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast daily."

So the T&Cs aren't matching. The above specifically says continental in Europe, as well as outside of US/Canada.

So, while the majority of properties outside the US/Canada provide full brekkie, it's not a given per T&Cs (aka, dif T&Cs have dif wording).

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Why are you limiting this to a specific Autograph Collection prop ?

Ever been to the Ghent Marriott? Brekkie is your former continental nightmare without even a coffee refill !!

Originally Posted by pinniped
Honestly, when I hear the term "continental breakfast", I think of a hard roll, toast, jams, butter, hot tea, and coffee. *Maybe* a cheese plate - a real simple one. I used to stay in pensiones or other small (budget) hotels that had this offering, and to this day it's the definition that comes to mind.

Given that Marriott doesn't seem to be purposely trying to pull a fast one here, it seems like they should correct the behaviors of this Autograph Collection hotel as soon as possible.

Last edited by Srisarin; May 15, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There's nothing worse than ordering off a menu only to have them bring you something from the buffet.

At increasing number of Marriott properties at least have Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt, which is a little better quality than the $0.85 tiny containers of Dannon yogurt flavored with artificial ingredients.
Absolutely on both counts. Anything but that Dannon crap with chemicals. But like everything Marriott, it varies from property to property.

Outside of the Essex House in NYC, it's rare for me to find a breakfast buffet in a major downtown, there was none at the JW SF and the wait (for her) was horrible. Oakland, on the other hand was quite nice and well worthy of the $5 upcharge.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Why are you limiting this to a specific Autograph Collection prop ?

Ever been to the Ghent Marriott? Brekkie is your former continental nightmare without even a coffee refill !!
Well, they should probably get the word out to *all* offending properties.

Of course, even as I write this I realize the easier thing is to just change the benefit to be "continental breakfast" everywhere. Especially if they have conflicting T's & C's to begin with. A few edits and we will have the least-customer-friendly version, and no need for corporate to have difficult conversations with hotels.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
However, as I noted up thread (quoting myself now)

Found this:

"There's more on the menu. Any time the lounge is closed, or if you’re staying at a hotel in Europe without a lounge, you'll have a choice of continental breakfast for two in the hotel restaurant or 750 Rewards points. If you’re outside of the U.S. or Canada, you’ll also enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast daily."

So the T&Cs aren't matching. The above specifically says continental in Europe, as well as outside of US/Canada.

So, while the majority of properties outside the US/Canada provide full brekkie, it's not a given per T&Cs (aka, dif T&Cs have dif wording).

Cheers.
Your link doesn't work for me. I quoted from the one, official terms and conditions for elites, as currently published and linked to on Marriott.com. The terms for a promotion or package do not override the overall Marriott terms.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Your link doesn't work for me. I quoted from the one, official terms and conditions for elites, as currently published and linked to on Marriott.com. The terms for a promotion or package do not override the overall Marriott terms.
I'll have to go back & find it/correct the link, but at the bottom of the page it had copyright 2017 & the list of properties in the US that offer 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast is accurate/matches what you posted. This wouldn't be the first time Marriott T&Cs say different things on the same topic , and it probably gives hotels an out. The link works (below):

Good luck w/ getting the Glasshouse to switch to a full breakfast, but since day 1 they've been doing the cont'l w/ the up charges for full or room service I don't think you'll get very far. But your choice on whether to argue/discuss it w/ them when you check in.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 15, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reason: provide working link...
Old May 16, 2017, 7:09 am
soy

Programs: various
By far the most realistic outcome here is they update the T&C to specify 'Continental'at all properties globally......followed some time later by enforcement of brand standards which will leave us all worse off.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by soy
By far the most realistic outcome here is they update the T&C to specify 'Continental'at all properties globally......followed some time later by enforcement of brand standards which will leave us all worse off.
True, and sad.

Sad...especially since most properties have buffets, and offering the buffet to elites is a damn near free way to make most guests happy.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by nequine
I know when we stayed at the Crystal City Marriott (in Virginia) although it was supposed to just be a continental brekkie (since the lounge was closed), it was the guys in the restaurant who said we could have anything and the omelettes were delicious! I presume that was done with the full knowledge of TPTB!
From my experience, if you're in the restaurant, you get the full boat. I've never had any server or host/hostess say "you can only have toast and cereal and maybe a piece of fruit". You get everything. If not, then they have to fight it out with customers over exactly what a continental breakfast really is.

For the record, my definition of a continental breakfast is a piece of bread, something to smear on it, and coffee or juice. Maybe a cold cereal with milk.

I also vote to ban the use of "brekkie". I had never heard of the term before FlyerTalk and it's an annoying one.

Last edited by catocony; May 16, 2017 at 9:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.