Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

500 MR Points for Checking Out at the Front Desk

Old May 12, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

Never seen this before...

When checking into the Marriott Ft Lauderdale North yesterday, the front desk clerk gave me a small blue piece of paper which stated if a guest handed this piece of paper to the front desk when stopping by to check out, the guest would get 500 MR points. I'm a just-walk-out-the-door kinda guy, but 500 points is 500 points, so, of course, I stopped by the front desk and handed the paper over when leaving.

Brilliant way to get people to actually let the hotel know when they are leaving.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Great idea. It would be even better if checking out by any means generated points -- and in a way that the earlier we check out the more points we get.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Perhaps this is a way to help them manage late check-outs better. I sometimes check out prior to the agreed-upon time, even when granted a late checkout, so as a courtesy I generally do my best to let them know when I leave earlier than expected, even if that means just using the app or doing it in-room.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Never seen this before...

When checking into the Marriott Ft Lauderdale North yesterday, the front desk clerk gave me a small blue piece of paper which stated if a guest handed this piece of paper to the front desk when stopping by to check out, the guest would get 500 MR points. I'm a just-walk-out-the-door kinda guy, but 500 points is 500 points, so, of course, I stopped by the front desk and handed the paper over when leaving.

Brilliant way to get people to actually let the hotel know when they are leaving.
Perhaps they read and took the suggestion of this brilliant FT'er posted just two weeks ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28240443-post18.html

Originally Posted by joshua362
But does this work in practice given the paper lists I see on the housekeeping carts at 8AM? Say lists are generated and distributed at 7:55AM with the most current checkout status. People continue to checkout gradually between 8-12 and inform the desk at a 1000 room Marriott. How does this info reach the actual person cleaning the rooms? I can't imagine a radio call to a supervisor after every checkout to update the paper.

Just wondering being systems oriented. There has to be an optimal way.

Perhaps a 500 point incentive to call or leave early?
Thank you.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I always walk past the front desk and place my keys on the desk. This won't change my behaviour.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
We had a stay at the FLL North Marriot three weeks ago and received the same notice. 500 points is well worth the extra 30 seconds it took to check out. On a side note, that is a great hotel. The pool/hot-tub area is fantastic and they really treated us well as an elite.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd love this, although it would be better if one didn't need to remember to turn in the blue paper announcing it. I almost always do check out at the front desk (unless there's a line and I'm in a hurry), so it wouldn't change my behavior much, but the extra points would be nice.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:26 am

If I was a GM at a hotel, especially one that embraces the late checkout benefit, I'd incentivize notice of checkout in several manners to take the guess work out of whether the room can be cleaned. The cost of the 500 points is measly compared to housekeeping overtime.

I've never stopped by the desk or known anyone that does unless there was an issue with the bill. Especially with the ever present line.

Put out a box, leave the keys with small paper slip and offer 500 points or a candy bar as a reward and I bet compliance soars.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Put out a box, leave the keys with small paper slip and offer 500 points or a candy bar as a reward and I bet compliance soars.
Shhhh, don't tell, but if they just explained to me that it would help if I let them know when I leave I'd probably do it even without getting the points or candy. The truth is I've never really thought it through that it would be helpful if they knew when the room is empty.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd love this, although it would be better if one didn't need to remember to turn in the blue paper announcing it.
It's embarrassing how important that little piece of paper became to me. Not only could it not be lost, but it had to be somewhere I'd remember to stop by the front desk and not find it in a pocket two days later.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Do we know if this is just a regional thing? So far the reports are for two FLL properties.

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

I'm not seeing a second property, only the FLL Marriott North. Am I missing the second property?
Old May 13, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm not seeing a second property, only the FLL Marriott North. Am I missing the second property?
My bad. Thought there were 2 properties mentioned. So it might be something that is property-specific & not regional or national.

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Agreed; I'm not familiar with the area, but both reports so far appear to be for the same property, unless Fort Lauderdale North is north of the city and FLL North is a location north of the airport. The question still remains though as to whether this incentive is isolated to one particular area (or property).
Old May 13, 2017, 9:37 am

It's embarrassing how important that little piece of paper became to me. Not only could it not be lost, but it had to be somewhere I'd remember to stop by the front desk and not find it in a pocket two days later.
Give out a slip at check-in requesting the checkout notice and have other copies available at the drop box. Pair it with the key return so strangers just can't stuff the box. Code it into the app and avoid the front desk. Give 1,000 points for a 8am checkout and slide it down as the day progresses. I got a million of these...

I spent 1 night here 10+ years ago and was very impressed, definitely one of the better run Marriott's out there.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saidoh
Agreed; I'm not familiar with the area, but both reports so far appear to be for the same property, unless Fort Lauderdale North is north of the city and FLL North is a location north of the airport. The question still remains though as to whether this incentive is isolated to one particular area (or property).
Everyone calls it the North Ft Lauderdale property, but the official name is Ft Lauderdale North, so it's likely the same property. Plus, the only other Marriott family property north of Ft Lauderdale is a funky CY. I love that property, but it's something people love or hate. It's quite retro, with a motel like entrance next to a tower, a ground floor swimming pool in a parking lot on busy corner and rooms that are more seventies Holiday Inn than modern CY.

I spent 1 night here 10+ years ago and was very impressed, definitely one of the better run Marriott's out there.
I have had a difficult history with this property, but it seems to have improved significantly. There has been a recent renovation and staff/maintenance issues seemed to have worked themselves out. The property was very close to where an elderly relative lived, so I would stay there out of convenience. The relative has since moved on, so it's no longer usually geographically convenient, but my few stays over the past couple years have been excellent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.