Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: htb
* The hotel provides breakfast to Gold/Plats. This is hotel specific, not brand specific (until August 1, when free brekkie kicks in at Moxys).
--> This is no longer true since the Bonvoy changes. Platinum members can either get $10/day/person or 500 points/stay as welcome benefit. The $10 voucher can be applied for breakfast and requires an additional payment of around 200 JPY.
* The rooms facing the highway are extremely noisy. For light sleeper, please request rooms facing the SkyTree
* Come out of the south exit of Kinshicho station, walk towards the big pedestrian crossing slightly to your right, cross the street, turn right and then turn left. Walk two blocks and you will see the Moxy on the left across the first set of traffic lights.
Print Wikipost

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:37 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Interesting incident recently on staff training. The hotel's handling of the issue is really subpar and terrible especially to an elite member. I'm also surprised he didn't ask for comp room or points but rather just want hotel to explain the wrongdoing and provide cctv footage.

Link, scroll down for English, also on tripadvisor: https://cpediablog.wordpress.com/2018/07/29/東京住宿驚魂記

Summary
A platinum member booked 2 rooms for himself and mother during layover, used mobile check-in and when arrived at hotel 11am the rooms are not ready. He asked to complete paperwork for both rooms and then come back to pick up room keys after 3pm. Things went fine afterwards until 2am where his mother claimed someone opened the door and attempted to enter. Due to the chain-lock the door was not opened fully and she heard the person trying to forcifully bump the door open, she shouted to ask who it is and then the person did not answer and quickly disappeared. The mother then contacted the platinum member and they called the front desk who apologized and promised to look into it. The next day the hotel (duty?) manager claimed he was on shift all night and did not get any call. Hotel said that due to the early check-in paperwork the system did not properly allocate the rooms to be occupied and hence the hotel staff was checking the rooms overnight. With platinum breakfast already being an amenity, they want to offer coffee as gesture of compensation. The member didn't ask for compensation (but supposedly paid near 20k JPY per night per room) due to rush to go to airport, and had a few more email subsequently with the hotel manager who basically just apologized on the experience and will provide feedback to hotel team.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jix
Interesting incident recently on staff training. The hotel's handling of the issue is really subpar and terrible especially to an elite member. I'm also surprised he didn't ask for comp room or points but rather just want hotel to explain the wrongdoing and provide cctv footage.

Link, scroll down for English, also on tripadvisor: https://cpediablog.wordpress.com/2018/07/29/東京住宿驚魂記

Summary
A platinum member booked 2 rooms for himself and mother during layover, used mobile check-in and when arrived at hotel 11am the rooms are not ready. He asked to complete paperwork for both rooms and then come back to pick up room keys after 3pm. Things went fine afterwards until 2am where his mother claimed someone opened the door and attempted to enter. Due to the chain-lock the door was not opened fully and she heard the person trying to forcifully bump the door open, she shouted to ask who it is and then the person did not answer and quickly disappeared. The mother then contacted the platinum member and they called the front desk who apologized and promised to look into it. The next day the hotel (duty?) manager claimed he was on shift all night and did not get any call. Hotel said that due to the early check-in paperwork the system did not properly allocate the rooms to be occupied and hence the hotel staff was checking the rooms overnight. With platinum breakfast already being an amenity, they want to offer coffee as gesture of compensation. The member didn't ask for compensation (but supposedly paid near 20k JPY per night per room) due to rush to go to airport, and had a few more email subsequently with the hotel manager who basically just apologized on the experience and will provide feedback to hotel team.
I'm not sure if the hotel is obligated to provide CCTV footage. Seems like a terrible situation. If he had asked for some competition, maybe he could've gotten some.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:43 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by SP03
I'm not sure if the hotel is obligated to provide CCTV footage. Seems like a terrible situation. If he had asked for some competition, maybe he could've gotten some.
Yeah CCTV goes too far, it's not a police investigation so there's no point of hotel in providing that. Naming the employee is also not necessary as long as they perform the proper staff training. I'm just puzzled by the management's response in handling the situation to the guest (or the lack of), perhaps one should just expect Moxy Tokyo at the level of APA/MyStays instead of part of the international Marriott group when things go wrong.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Talking

Originally Posted by woresu
Cons:
- Red light district downstairs (maybe pros for some), could be noisy at night when the drunk men screaming like crazy late at night
That's a definite pro. Should consider booking it once
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
That's a definite pro. Should consider booking it once
Maybe I was totally oblivious. I did not see any activities in the surrounding area. The location is fairly convenient and I had a great stay there.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There are quite a few establishments between the hotel and the station, but you wouldn't notice if you didn't know. The sign boards gave it away. As NewbieRunner said, we liked it there. The breakfast was OKish, but I gladly accepted the freebie in an expensive city like TYO. The kitchen/pantry/eating area was great in the evenings to consume the food we bought at the station. You are free to use the plates/dishes/silverware, have unlimited water to drink and can reheat the food in the microwave. No awkward eating in the room. We liked the price and the relaxed athmosphere. When we were there in April, it was about 1/3 families, 1/3 baby boomers and the rest 'millenials'. So much for the target demographic.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
There are quite a few establishments between the hotel and the station, but you wouldn't notice if you didn't know. The sign boards gave it away. As NewbieRunner said, we liked it there. The breakfast was OKish, but I gladly accepted the freebie in an expensive city like TYO. The kitchen/pantry/eating area was great in the evenings to consume the food we bought at the station. You are free to use the plates/dishes/silverware, have unlimited water to drink and can reheat the food in the microwave. No awkward eating in the room. We liked the price and the relaxed athmosphere. When we were there in April, it was about 1/3 families, 1/3 baby boomers and the rest 'millenials'. So much for the target demographic.
I can see how the price attracts both families and millennials. I'll be staying at this hotel for 3 nights at the end of the month, entirely due to my three travel companions balking at an extra $300 each to spend those three nights at Conrad Tokyo on a FHR third night free rate, which I thought was an absolutely phenomenal deal even without the FHR amenities. For price-consious travellers, it's hard to argue with $125 a night for a room with two beds.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I can see how the price attracts both families and millennials. I'll be staying at this hotel for 3 nights at the end of the month, entirely due to my three travel companions balking at an extra $300 each to spend those three nights at Conrad Tokyo on a FHR third night free rate, which I thought was an absolutely phenomenal deal even without the FHR amenities. For price-consious travellers, it's hard to argue with $125 a night for a room with two beds.
I stayed there for one night when I arrived late and was leaving early. It was perfect for that. It's not a hotel I would want to actually spend time in the room.

It's basically a hipper version of a Japanese business hotel with an international chain brand.

Last edited by SP03; Aug 3, 2018 at 6:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed there for one night when I arrived late and was leaving early. It was perfect for that. It's not a hotel I would want to actually spend time in the room.

I'm basically a hipper version of a Japanese business hotel with an international chain brand.
Yeah, I don't expect to spend much time in the room except to sleep. My companions didn't heed my warning that a limited service hotel would not be useful in securing reservations for food and events ahead of time, which has already presented problems.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Yeah, I don't expect to spend much time in the room except to sleep. My companions didn't heed my warning that a limited service hotel would not be useful in securing reservations for food and events ahead of time, which has already presented problems.
I do love the whole concept though. Everything was just so Japanese cute.

Btw, I love the Conrad. Their Japanese breakfast was amazing
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:48 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
There are quite a few establishments between the hotel and the station, but you wouldn't notice if you didn't know. The sign boards gave it away.
You may not notice those establishments during the day unless you look at the sign boards. They are more noticeable in the evenings especially on Friday nights. If you look at the Google map I posted earlier and wonder why anyone should take a detour and walk along the parallel street marked with grey dots, that street is devoid of dubious establishments.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:47 pm

What kind of signs indicate red light establishments in Japan? I walked on that red dotted street a few times, and never noticed anything unusual
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
It's basically a hipper version of a Japanese business hotel with an international chain brand.
Very well said. This was my reaction exactly.

It's got that stripped-down, just-need-a-place-from-11-to-8 Japanese business feel, mixed in with a bevy of hipness from a brand consultancy, mixed in with American chain brand standards.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
What kind of signs indicate red light establishments in Japan? I walked on that red dotted street a few times, and never noticed anything unusual
Just like everything in Japan it is rather discrete. Go on google street view and look at the sign boards right opposite the Moxy:
'European Club Red Square: Love is a many splendored thing'
'Secret Garden'
'Ronly Woman'

Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:14 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Just like everything in Japan it is rather discrete. Go on google street view and look at the sign boards right opposite the Moxy:
'European Club Red Square: Love is a many splendored thing'
'Secret Garden'
'Ronly Woman'

And once it's getting dark, look at the people standing in the street. They are very discrete and won't bother the obvious tourist (way to much trouble with them, anyway), but just standing in the street by itself is odd already. I've observed the activities for about 20 minutes and only one "customer" (completely drunk, and had to be dragged in by two women).

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.