Fairfield Inn is a Category Five?

Reply

Old May 3, 17, 4:23 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,876
Originally Posted by JohnneeO View Post
This has me thinking that the categories (and therefore points required for redemption) are static, while the cash rates are dynamic, and that it would better if redemption levels could be more dynamic. I guess they already have a mechanism in place for this with Point Saver Awards.
...snip....
The obvious extreme example of dynamic redemption is the new Hilton Honors program where points redemption is now almost totally based on the cash rate. So there are no longer any deals to be found, except for base rooms where the cash rate is so high that it (for now) exceeds the max possible point rate. But HH has implied that eventually even this anomaly/cap will end and room redemptions will cost 0.5 cents per point for the base room and (if current values are anything to go by) 0.4 cents per point for upgraded rooms. Most people are very unhappy. In other words, be careful what you wish for.

I also agree with the poster who noted that Hyatt has the best (most logical) redemption scale. The vast majority of their properties are in the lower half of the redemption categories and there are no Hyatt Places in the two highest tiers (and there are only a very limited number or properties at their top tier (like a few % of their total--eight Park Hyatts and five Residence Clubs). So in the US, the only city (downtown) where you can't use your annual free night cert is NYC (Manhattan); Boston, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, Honolulu, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle, San Diego and LA are all possible. On the other hand, small footprint means that there are plenty of places where you can't find any Hyatt, something that Marriott (especially now together with Starwood) doesn't face.

Last edited by eefor jfp; May 3, 17 at 4:41 am Reason: added list of US cities available for annual free night cert
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 17, 2:18 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,737
Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
The obvious extreme example of dynamic redemption is the new Hilton Honors program where points redemption is now almost totally based on the cash rate. So there are no longer any deals to be found, except for base rooms where the cash rate is so high that it (for now) exceeds the max possible point rate.
Where are you getting this information? Because it's wrong!

Do a search for Kansas City, MO for 1 night on 4 Jun. I get two hotels that price at the identical $157 (HHonors Discount price*), but one of them (the Curio Collection) is 39000 points and the other (the HGI) is 20000 points.

And this is far from the only current example I've seen, but it's the most stark counterexample to what you claim.

* HHonors Discount price is the default price shown in large type for me in these cases.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 3, 17 at 3:08 pm
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 17, 3:09 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by kklems View Post
That rapid city FI also has a large water park inside. During peak summer travel
season it is routinely sold out or goes for 300-400 a night.
Sounds like some of us need to partner up and invest in a new hotel in Rapid City!
maracle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 17, 3:57 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,876
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Where are you getting this information? Because it's wrong!

Do a search for Kansas City, MO for 1 night on 4 Jun. I get two hotels that price at the identical $157 (HHonors Discount price*), but one of them (the Curio Collection) is 39000 points and the other (the HGI) is 20000 points.

And this is far from the only current example I've seen, but it's the most stark counterexample to what you claim.

* HHonors Discount price is the default price shown in large type for me in these cases.
Actually, this proves my point. The HGI rate is currently capped at 20,000 because of the hotel's previous category. So it IS a deal right now at 20,000 points ("where the cash rate for base/standard rooms is so high it exceeds the max possible points rate"--maybe not worded in the best possible way but you get the idea). The Curio for 39,000 works out to 0.47 cents per point (based on the HH discount rate of $183) which is close to Hilton's current norm for standard rooms of half a cent a point. All indications are that at some point in the future, the caps based on the hotel's previous category will be removed and the HGI will be 39,000 points, too. But for now it's a deal precisely because of what I stated.

My point is that basing points redemption on cash rates is a double-edged sword and most in the Hilton forum think that the program has been gutted and that great values are now few and far between and found only when the cash rate is so high that the current (temporary) cap comes into play.
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 17, 11:56 pm
  #20  
LAX
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA; Philadelphia, PA
Programs: OZ Diamond
Posts: 5,086
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
The first year you have the card, you only get a cat 1-4 cert. Starting year 2, it's a cat 1-5 cert.
Really?? That's not what it says on the website. I even read the fine prints and it doesn't mention any about only Cat 1-4 in the first year.

LAX
LAX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 17, 1:01 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,332
I much prefer Marriott's redemption category arrangements to the placing of hotel categories where it's perceived they "belong" (IHG) or dynamic (HH). If you follow the well-trodden path to seaside resorts and big cities, then paying and earning points is the best idea. When staying in gateway cites which are really pricey, redeeming, despite being top-category, produces strong returns. When following the redemption path less trod then there's usually great value to be had at Cat 1s, 2s, and 3s.
BrightlyBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 17, 2:38 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,480
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
I almost posted this a couple hours ago, after having checked the category again. I have stayed at this hotel twice. The worst part is it's a really plain FI on the edge of town across the street from a combo convenience store/gas station/Marco's Pizza. But categories are based on how much people use points/certs for redemptions, and given it's near the Black Hills and Mt Rushmore, the category must be warranted.
The Cambria Suites there are absurdly nice!
s0ssos is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread