Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Newer motion-sensing thermostat wakes me up every night

Old Apr 26, 17, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PP, WN A+/CP, Hertz PC

I know this is a more general topic, but I mostly lurk in here so I feel more comfortable bringing this topic up in this crowd.

I like to run the fan at night to generate white noise. Usually it's easy to find how to override the t-stat into VIP mode. But this model is a bit tricky it seems. My searches both on here and Google turned up empty.

Anyway, each of the past 2 nights at 4am the whole system, even the fan, shut off, making the room heat up and be eerily quiet. A simple arm wave turns it back on, but by now it's too late and I'm awake.

I think this is the model in my room: http://content.stockpr.com/telkonet/...ight+_Rev1.pdf

I guess I could talk to someone at the property and see if they are able to adjust this "night" setting?
Old Apr 26, 17, 11:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Marko123 View Post
I know this is a more general topic, but I mostly lurk in here so I feel more comfortable bringing this topic up in this crowd.

I like to run the fan at night to generate white noise. Usually it's easy to find how to override the t-stat into VIP mode. But this model is a bit tricky it seems. My searches both on here and Google turned up empty.

Anyway, each of the past 2 nights at 4am the whole system, even the fan, shut off, making the room heat up and be eerily quiet. A simple arm wave turns it back on, but by now it's too late and I'm awake.

I think this is the model in my room: http://content.stockpr.com/telkonet/...ight+_Rev1.pdf

I guess I could talk to someone at the property and see if they are able to adjust this "night" setting?
Unacceptable. Direct a complaint to the management. It is probably programmed incorrectly.
Old Apr 26, 17, 12:07 pm
Community Director

Google "hack motion sensor thermostat" and see if the workarounds that are suggested work for you.
Old Apr 26, 17, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Or buy a helium balloon.
Old Apr 26, 17, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PP, WN A+/CP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Google "hack motion sensor thermostat" and see if the workarounds that are suggested work for you.
Nothing that I found online references the specific model in question.
Old Apr 26, 17, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
OMG I hate motion-sensor thermostats in hotel rooms. What drooling idiot thought it would be a good idea to install a system that cuts off HVAC in guest rooms overnight and forces guests awake at odd hours because the temperature has grown uncomfortably hot or cold? Hack the system if you can, but definitely complain to management.
Old Apr 26, 17, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
This whole things wouldn't be an issue if the sensors would be set to de-activate the HVAC after, say, 9 or 10 hours of inactivity (not just a few/several hours as it seems to be everywhere).
Old Apr 26, 17, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Marko123 View Post

I feel you brother. I hate hate hate HATE HATE HATE those new motion sensor thermostats. But in my experience there is always a way to override it. To do that though you need to ask for the engineers to disable the motion sensor so it won't shut off. I usually call ahead of time before I check in and ask for a manager, let them know what you want and then they'll let the engineer know to go in the room and disable it, or in their control room.

It's a lot of wasting time but I value my sleep and comfort. Unfortunately it seems with lots of newer hotels and renovations more and more properties are moving towards this garbage.
Old Apr 26, 17, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I'm in the OP camp and hope to not have to confront such systems.
Old Apr 27, 17, 5:14 am

Programs: Oneworld
Buy a chicken, attach it to the fan, so the motion sensor remains activated ;-)
Old Apr 27, 17, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I really hate that crap that hotels are doing with motion sense and 'smart' thermostats... they set them to ignore the guest settings and the thing shuts off like the OP described. Definitely complain. Apparently the so called 'built-in occupancy sensor calibrated to extreme sensitivy" isn't working properly.

Unfortunately these models now are web based/console controlled so you can't get to override settings on the actual unit, but it needs to be done by logging in to it remotely.
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
Similar story but slightly different at Courtyard Fremont Silicon Valley last week. I too like the fan for white noise, but couldn't get the fan to come on steady. Only would come on when the temp fluctuated enough for AC to kick on. At least it didn't get hot and I have a white noise generator on my ipad
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:32 am

I wish hotels in the US would skip these stupid motion sensitive thermostats and just copy what is being done in other parts of the world. I do not mind putting my room key in a slot which turns on the power to the room. At least then it is either on or off and there are no problems with anything turning off in the middle of the night.
Old Apr 27, 17, 3:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kenban View Post
I wish hotels in the US would skip these stupid motion sensitive thermostats and just copy what is being done in other parts of the world. I do not mind putting my room key in a slot which turns on the power to the room. At least then it is either on or off and there are no problems with anything turning off in the middle of the night.
Yes, that works during the night but I don't appreciate coming back to a room that is not at my desired temperature.
Old Apr 27, 17, 3:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by kenban View Post
Rest assured that there are plenty of hotels in other parts of the world too where the motion sensor forgets you're there during the night and you wake to a baking hot room because it's turned the aircon off.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: