Best Marriot/Ritz in France/Spain

Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I really like the AC Santo Mauro Hotel in Madrid, and find it to be a unique property. It's much smaller than the Hotel Arts, more of a boutique, so may not have as broad of services, but I really enjoyed my stay there. I've heard great things about the Cotton House, but haven't stayed there.

I think there are a lot of great day trip options from both Barcelona and Madrid.
From Madrid - Toledo is a 30-minute train ride and a must-see. Segovia, Salamanca, El Escorial, Avila are all within 2 hours from Madrid.
From Barcelona - Girona is 45 minutes by train, the Dali Museum in Figueres is about 1 1/2 hours, the Costa Brava has tons of beautiful beaches, Sitges and Tarragona are both within an hour or so to the south.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I've booked a trip to Nice, France for next year and was looking at the Marriott properties both Boscolo Exedra Nice and AC Hotel Nice. I'm only Gold (so not looking for a great upgrade, but would appreciate the free breakfast!). Any thoughts on which would be better ? I was going to use Nice as a base and do short train trips to nearby towns. I'll be there in Feb, so beach not really a must have.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mauld
I've booked a trip to Nice, France for next year and was looking at the Marriott properties both Boscolo Exedra Nice and AC Hotel Nice. I'm only Gold (so not looking for a great upgrade, but would appreciate the free breakfast!). Any thoughts on which would be better ? I was going to use Nice as a base and do short train trips to nearby towns. I'll be there in Feb, so beach not really a must have.

We are looking at the same properties (although for a summer trip) so are interested in which property you select!
Old May 11, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sallycat
We are looking at the same properties (although for a summer trip) so are interested in which property you select!
I've actually booked both, so will be able to compare and let you know which seems better. But am still looking for some advice from FT!
Old May 13, 2017, 6:01 am

For 7 days in one location, I would choose Paris by far. 4 days in the city and Versailles, Normandy, Loire valley or givenchy day trips based on your interests.

I prefer the renaissance hotels in Paris, the Marriott has an A+ location but The renaissance hotels feel more local.

London has a number of great hotels (JW, Park Lane, Edition - no lounge though) and Rome (Exedra or grand flora) are other decent options. 7 days in once city in Spain is a lot, Spain is better as a multi-city run.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by aircow33
I am looking to use my seven consecutive stays Marriott certificate somewhere in France or Spain. Any recommendations on the best hotel overall, and one that would maximize the value of the certificate?
Are these certificates applicable to Starwood properties? I stayed at the Hotel Maria Cristina in San Sebastian over the holidays (it's part of the Starwood Luxury Collection) and the hotel was quite simply perfect. The rooms, service, location, dining....everything was superb.

If that's not an option, I recommend the Cotton House in Barcelona, part of the Marriott Autograph Collection. It seems to be on everyone's 'newest and hottest' hotel list and having stayed for two nights this past December, I absolutely understand why. Highly recommend you give it a try.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CKinMD

1. Are these certificates applicable to Starwood properties?

2. If that's not an option, I recommend the Cotton House in Barcelona, part of the Marriott Autograph Collection. It seems to be on everyone's 'newest and hottest' hotel list and having stayed for two nights this past December, I absolutely understand why. Highly recommend you give it a try.
1. No.

2. We're getting a lot more reports recommending the Cotton House.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Plt, , UAL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree with the recomendations for the Cotton House and the JW in Cannes - both great properties and both easy areas to enjoy for seven days. If you choose to go to Paris, I'd pick the Ren Vendome over the C-E property in a second, having stayed at both many times, my choice being based upon service levels as well as location. The Bourgtheroulde property is amazing, having been a castle for most of its life, and the staff there work extra hard to provide great service. But you'd have to decide if you want to spend 7 days in Normandy/eastern Brittany/Rouen, which may be a stretch.

If it were my decision, I'd be at the Ren Vendome and soak up their great service, then book a few day trips - the TGV will get you to Strasbourg, Lyon or the Loire in 2 hours or less, and there's always Versailles, Chartres, Rouen, Caen, Reims - all easy daytrips if you are looking for more than Paris.

Good luck with your decision - always a fun one!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.