Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Received an email saying I should check-in, but no button displayed in app

Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

This is my first time staying at a Marriott property with status (gold) and also my first time trying to use the app to check-in.

I'm arriving in Asia on Sunday, and so I assumed I could check-in at 8am local time day of arrival, but I received an email from Marriott saying I should 'check-in now to access my elite benefits'. This is 24+ hours earlier than I expected. However, when I go to the app, I see no button.

Am I too early? What does the button look like? (i.e. does it actually say the words 'check in' or is it an abstract graphic?) I'm just a little confused as I thought it would be more obvious.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Are you staying at a domestic or international hotel? Many international properties need to see your passport, so you cannot check in via the app. Even domestic properties sometimes need to see your cc (new card) or need to check your ID to make sure you are eligible for a rate/benefit. While I cannot remember off the top of my head what it specifically looks like, you are correct that it's pretty obvious where you click to check in.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:32 am

Found that this function somehow doesn't seem to work in several places (from the last couple of weeks: China, Thailand, Singapore) so gave up on it altogether. Upside is, status recognition (even Gold) is generally pretty good around here, so you'll likely end up with a better room than you booked.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by gpia
Found that this function somehow doesn't seem to work in several places (from the last couple of weeks: China, Thailand, Singapore) so gave up on it altogether. Upside is, status recognition (even Gold) is generally pretty good around here, so you'll likely end up with a better room than you booked.
China requires the hotel to report that you are staying to the local police, so they need to check your passport. Thailand hotels copy your passport, so you cannot check in through the app there, either. I do not remember if the Singapore Marriott required seeing my passport. All I remember is that it was easily the most disappointing Asian Marriott property I've been to. My room was filthy and the staff was incompetent.

With both the Shanghai JW and all the Thai properties, the app will show the UG even though you cannot check in.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I just got a notification on my phone from the Marriott app that I could check-in now and that worked, with a clear "Check In" button and everything. I guess they just sent the email early.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.