LTP - both requirements met

Old Mar 18, 17, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA S, A3 *G, SPG P, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
LTP - both requirements met

It just so happened without any planning on my side that I met both qualifications by completing my last Marriott stay - ended up being pronounced LTP at 756 nights and 2,003k points.

Which made me thinking - was there anyone who achieved LTP with having
exactly 2m points and 750 nights at the same time - without any actions like buying points - just by doing hotel stays?

if it interests anyone it took 16 years (joined MR in 2000).

AX
Old Mar 18, 17, 10:35 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
I achieved both very close together, like within four stays. It was actually within days of when the qualifications were lowered. I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I did post about it at the time.
Old Mar 18, 17, 11:02 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by AX9465 View Post
It just so happened without any planning on my side that I met both qualifications by completing my last Marriott stay - ended up being pronounced LTP at 756 nights and 2,003k points.

exactly 2m points and 750 nights at the same time - without any actions like buying points - just by doing hotel stays?

AX
It took me 4 years. When I got to 744 nights I was at 2 million.
Old Mar 18, 17, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AX9465 View Post

AX
You underlined "exactly". Do you literally mean getting 2,000,000 and not, say, 2,000,001?

But anyway, simultaneous qualification is pretty interesting.
Old Mar 19, 17, 7:13 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
You underlined "exactly". Do you literally mean getting 2,000,000 and not, say, 2,000,001?

But anyway, simultaneous qualification is pretty interesting.
What I think the OP is saying is most people don't hit them at the same time.

Most either have a lot of nights and not enough points or vice versa.

So yes it is rare that someone like myself hit both marks at roughly the same time.
Old Mar 19, 17, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by t1c View Post
What I think the OP is saying is most people don't hit them at the same time.

Most either have a lot of nights and not enough points or vice versa.

So yes it is rare that someone like myself hit both marks at roughly the same time.
In some cases it's possible to "rig it" to hit both marks at about the same time: For example, if you're at 2,000,000 LT points but 650 LT nights, you can do 100 nights which don't earn points (either rewards nights or earn airline miles), and you'd then get to 750 LT nights and 2,000,000 LT points but "not naturally". Or if you're at 1,830,000 LT points and 750 LT nights, you can stop staying until you can apply for a couple credit cards and get the signup bonuses and then cross 2,000,000 LT points.
Old Mar 19, 17, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I expect to reach both 2MM points and 750 elite nights in about 2 years. I'll probably reach them within a few months of each other.

I'm curious about your stipulation "just by doing hotel stays". What do you mean by that? Are you looking to exclude, say, people who earn some of their nights and points from the Chase Marriott Visa card?
Old Mar 20, 17, 3:26 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Since these two metrics are meant to be roughly equivalent for earning LT status, I would expect that on average people reach them at similar times. Not everyone of course.
Old Mar 20, 17, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Since these two metrics are meant to be roughly equivalent for earning LT status, I would expect that on average people reach them at similar times. Not everyone of course.
Not sure about how things will be when (and if) I ever get to LTP, but currently I'm gunning for Lifetime Silver, and have 350 nights (250 are required) way more than needed. But with regard to points, I still have another 400,000 to go.

I suspect it's mostly because of the lower rates I'm required to hunt for.
Old Mar 20, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
By the raw numbers, without taking credit card, rollover, bonus points or megabonus into account, paying $266/night would get you to 2m points at 750 stays.

If you assume 30 nights a year in rollover and credit card, a Plat 500 point welcome gift on 40 stays a year and the 50% Plat bonus points for each stay over a seven year period lowers that to $229/stay.

Anecdotal: As I mentioned upthread, I arrived at both requirements within four stays. To give some data points, my number of nights included only one credit card year and maybe two or three rollovers. My stay patterns: I stay at whatever hotel is closest to where I need to be in the morning, which means anything from an FI to a Ritz, but mostly SHS, Rens and FSs. I travel to big cities and small towns, which means my rates can be anywhere from bargain lows to Plat Override highs. Given that relatively random but across the board variety, I somehow qualified on both counts virtually simultaneously. This leads me to believe that both qualification categories are set so that if you pay an average amount across the country, you will likely reach both qualification categories at the same time.
Old Mar 20, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I only just made LTG, but I have over 975 total nights.
Old Mar 20, 17, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, SPG P75, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I had to come to 10xx nights to cross the 2 Million points threshold for LTP - given many of my stays were at Residence Inns that only give 5 points per dollar, and in general my rates paid are lower than the $2xx that is required for the break even, more like $125 per night. At that time I also (barely) fulfilled the then-discontinued 12 years membership requirement with MR, but honestly most of my travel (nights- and point-wise) were in the last six years.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 20, 17, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
There's a certain travel pattern that meets the nights and points requirements for LT Plat status in roughly the same timeframe. From past discussions, though, it seems this pattern not typical. Plenty of MR regulars hit one well before the other. For example, a person who stays in high-cost locations and works promos successfully can reach the points requirement well before the nights requirement. A person who stays at lower cost locations, possibly with a low corporate or government rate, can accumulate the nights for LT well before reaching the points required.
Old Mar 20, 17, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The majority of Marriotts US inventory is cheaper limited service properties, so from what I've read here and at Marriott Insiders over the years, the most common order of attainment is the nights followed a year or so later by the points. Here in the EU, at least until the purchase of Spain's AC group, the vast majority of Marriotts were pricier full service city centre properties, so I had the opposite problem, I reached the 2 million points in mid 2015 but not the 750 nights till end 2016...
Old Mar 20, 17, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
possibly with a low corporate or government rate, can accumulate the nights for LT well before reaching the points required.
This...

The only thing I have going for me point-wise is the 50% plat bonus, credit card, and mega bonus. And I never stay at RI because of the 5 point per dollar ratio (although I have no problem with RI).

Nights is never a problem. I'll probably have enough nights for gold before I get 1.2 MM points for silver.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: