Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many points will I accrue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
How many points will I accrue

I have a Marriott stay next month and will have $1,800.00 spend. As a Platinum Elite and using the Marriott credit card what can I expect to get for points? Thanks very much for your help.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't want to sound rude, but you really can't do the math for yourself? It's not that hard.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by derby44
I have a Marriott stay next month and will have $1,800.00 spend. As a Platinum Elite and using the Marriott credit card what can I expect to get for points? Thanks very much for your help.
1) what property? A FS Marriott pays more than residence inn or executive apartments

2) Did you enroll in the current mega bonus which offers 2x points on the 1st 2 stays.

3) Will you take the PAG points or a food item

4) Does the hotel offer bonus for declining housekeeping? and will you use that offer

5) Are you including any non room charges in the 1800. FS marriott brands give 10x for all spend (except tax) but otherwise just room charges.

ASSUMING YOU ARE STAYING AT A FS MARRIOTT

At base you will earn 10X 1800 (For pre-tax charges), than the CC will offer 5x $1800 for 27000 points TOTAL

Double points on Full spend would be another 18000 taking you to 45000

PAG 500 points for a FS Marriott taking you for 45500.

So you would earn a minimum of 27000 points on all charges except taxes and fees at a FS Marriott.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:11 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by derby44
It's simple if your platinum with a credit card use 20x the amount of pre-tax spend.

Thanks
Sunny
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I'd like to thank SkiAdcock/kklems/t1c for your response. I'm sure that SkiAdcock didn't want to be rude--however there are always circumstances that come into play. No I can't really do the math for myself and I'm sure it's not that hard for most people. I'm in my late sixties with the onset of dementia and Math was always a touchy subject for me so it's become difficult for me to process what is very easy to others. I do appreciate your input. kklems the property I'm referencing is the World Center Marriott in Orlando which is a full service Marriott. I did enroll in the mega bonus which offers 2x points on the first 2 stays and completed a stay at PHA airport last month--however I believe that the mega bonus ends on my date of check-in April 15th--which will probably include the first night with double points. I'll be there for seven nights. I will take the PAG. If the hotel offers declining housekeeping I'll take advantage of that for at least 2/3 nights. I will be spending dining at the resort so the $1800.00 is a low ball estimate. t1c I'm not sure that your estimate of 20x the amount coincides with kklems estimate. All that being said I'm very thankful to all three of you for taking the time to help. Best of luck/travels to all.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Have a great time!

20x for points on pre-tax amounts is just from being Platinum and having the credit card - it's 10 points per dollar + 5 points per dollar platinum bonus + 5 points per dollar credit card spend (which actually is post-tax, so will be a bit more points there). If you do get additional points for the MegaBonus on top of that, those will be an extra bonus for you
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:52 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Have a great time!

20x for points on pre-tax amounts is just from being Platinum and having the credit card - it's 10 points per dollar + 5 points per dollar platinum bonus + 5 points per dollar credit card spend (which actually is post-tax, so will be a bit more points there). If you do get additional points for the MegaBonus on top of that, those will be an extra bonus for you
+1 ... Ha you beat me to my own response. Yes 20X is the benchmark. And any promotion is a bonus.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Dear derby44,

Sorry to hear about your dementia. You sure are an Elite in a lot of programs!
I wish you well, and God bless you!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is the $1,800 the base room rate spend? Incidentals only count at certain brands, and even then it seems like there are often weird exclusions to what counts, even when you're spending money on-property and charging it to your room.

In other words, normal Marriott stay, not Execustay/Residence Inn/etc, it's easy: 20x the base (pre-tax) rate plus whatever promotions/Plat bonuses you add on. But if the $1,800 is anything else, then it very much depends...hard to answer without more specifics.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:18 pm
t1c

Originally Posted by pinniped
Is the $1,800 the base room rate spend? Incidentals only count at certain brands, and even then it seems like there are often weird exclusions to what counts, even when you're spending money on-property and charging it to your room.

In other words, normal Marriott stay, not Execustay/Residence Inn/etc, it's easy: 20x the base (pre-tax) rate plus whatever promotions/Plat bonuses you add on. But if the $1,800 is anything else, then it very much depends...hard to answer without more specifics.
To keep it simple all Marriott spend on the credit card will get you 5x points.

Hotel spend will vary between 10x or 5x or 2.5x depending on which hotel (SHS) = 5x (AU) = 10 (executive stay) = 2.5.

Example Ritz Carlton points are only 10x on rooms rate. None on incidentals. However you get 5x on the total bill when you pay with your credit card.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by t1c
To keep it simple all Marriott spend on the credit card will get you 5x points.

Hotel spend will vary between 10x or 5x or 2.5x depending on which hotel (SHS) = 5x (AU) = 10 (executive stay) = 2.5.

Example Ritz Carlton points are only 10x on rooms rate. None on incidentals. However you get 5x on the total bill when you pay with your credit card.
I'm aware of that, but the big variable - even at full-service hotels where incidentals *should* count - is what exactly the incidentals are.

I've had hotels where golf course spend didn't count, even thought it sure looked to the naked eye like it was a Marriott golf course with Marriott branding everywhere. I've seen other places where certain restaurants didn't count because they were just leasing space in the building, even though it sure looked like they were "part" of the hotel (physically inside a Marriott and charging your bill to your room). I've seen places where parking didn't count because they said some third-party actually took the car and parked it elsewhere.

So, that's why I ask: $1,800 in room rate or $1,800 in other stuff? It *could* matter.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:42 pm
t1c

I'm aware of that, but the big variable - even at full-service hotels where incidentals *should* count - is what exactly the incidentals are.

I've had hotels where golf course spend didn't count, even thought it sure looked to the naked eye like it was a Marriott golf course with Marriott branding everywhere. I've seen other places where certain restaurants didn't count because they were just leasing space in the building, even though it sure looked like they were "part" of the hotel (physically inside a Marriott and charging your bill to your room). I've seen places where parking didn't count because they said some third-party actually took the car and parked it elsewhere.

So, that's why I ask: $1,800 in room rate or $1,800 in other stuff? It *could* matter.
I will be honest and say that I have never had those problems. I have had excursions, golf, valet and events, pretty much everything booked to the rooms and have never had a problem. What hotel were you at?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
I will be honest and say that I have never had those problems. I have had excursions, golf, valet and events, pretty much everything booked to the rooms and have never had a problem. What hotel were you at?
A hotel near DTW was the golf...I want to say Ypsilanti but that might not be exactly right. (Definitely in that Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti/DTW area.) The Seattle Waterfront Marriott was one where I had trouble getting food to post.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:53 pm
t1c

A hotel near DTW was the golf...I want to say Ypsilanti but that might not be exactly right. (Definitely in that Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti/DTW area.) The Seattle Waterfront Marriott was one where I had trouble getting food to post.
Funny DTW is my hometown airport. You were at Eagle Crest in Ypsi. Been there a few times. Never had a problem. They actually have golf packages they put together with Marriott.

Seattle I was just there 1 year ago. No problems with Valet was added to my room. Was upgraded to Waterview with a balcony. Had a great time.

Maybe you just had a bad experience from an untrained person?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The Marriott Worldcenter (Orlando) has a Disney Desk where you can purchase Disney tickets and such. The first couple of times I stayed there (probably more than 20 years ago) everything I charged to the room and would get points on it all. But somewhere around 15 or so years ago, they stopped doing that and said all the Disney transactions (even though charged to the room) didn't count.

I've also had CYs (the CY on Opdyke in Auburn Hills was a good example since we are using MI hotels. ) that would have special rates that included dinner or a movie tickets. The hotel would always take out a portion of the rate (equal to what they said was the charge for that 'extra' item) and give me points only on what was left. I used to love to get that rate at the Auburn Hills CY as it would get a free dinner for 2 at Mountain Jacks. I used to love their salads. ^

And I've got other examples, but the point is I've seen a few hotels that try to play games with which charges get points and which don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.