Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

No upgrades for "airport locations"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN

Asked about room upgrade at phx airport marriott was told "we don't do upgrades as this an airport hotel"...is this correct?
​​​​​TIA
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Marriott policy does not exclude airport hotels from the upgrade benefit ("Based on room availability at check-in, we'll do our best to upgrade your room. Upgrades are subject to availability identified by each hotel and limited to your personal guestroom."). The only official exclusion is for Marriott Vacation Club properties.

That being said, a typical airport Marriott with cookie-cutter rooms and a high percentage of elite guests (due to many frequent business travelers), is unlikely to be in a position to provide meaningful upgrades. Even so, such a hotel should still try to put elite guests into its better rooms (higher floors, more desirable side of the building).

Last edited by Horace; Mar 1, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Halo117
Asked about room upgrade at phx airport marriott was told "we don't do upgrades as this an airport hotel"...is this correct?
​​​​​TIA
Incorrect.

I have been upgraded to small suites at the FS LAX and EWR locations.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As Horace mentions, airport locations are not exempt from the upgrade policy. So either the FDC was ill-informed or has a GM who has a policy separate from Marriott's.

It's one reason to have w/ you the T&Cs, so you can gently point out the error of their ways. Of course, if you've got a property that says they don't do upgrades at all, they'll probably pull the availability card.

I've stayed at the property in the OP & did get an upgrade, but that was a # of years ago. I've also been upgraded to suites at the LAX Ren & the LAX Marriott & a few others airport properties.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I get upgraded all the time at airport hotels.

They tend not to have a lot of suites but it's often easier to upgrade a traveler for one night than someone staying a few days.

I stay at the PHX Marriott from time to time but frankly try to avoid it because I'm always left with an experience that they don't value business of loyal Marriott members. For example, I don't really appreciate being asked to sign a document when I'm there on a one day stay that they'll charge me for my entire reservation if I check out early. Seems like I may have had a couple of other minor issues that I can't remember at the moment so I try to avoid it.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't really appreciate being asked to sign a document when I'm there on a one day stay that they'll charge me for my entire reservation if I check out early.
Wonder what would they do if you refused to sign?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:38 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I know that this might seem like an obvious question, but what is your status with Marriott if any?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Definitely not a corporate policy! But as Horace mentioned, upgrades aren't really meaningful at these locations anyway. We received a Lake view room at the Orlando Airport Marriott 4 months ago, on the executive floor which is a high floor. It's nice to be recognized, but the room itself wasn't a big deal. It was still a tired airport-hotel room.

What might work is asking for exactly what you want: a high floor? away from the elevator? The corner room if your kids are with you and you really need the extra space? This has worked for us before.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The most important thing at any airport hotel is getting a room facing away from the airport, at least as much as possible. They all seem to be fairly run down anyways, so go for quiet over upgrades.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by catocony
The most important thing at any airport hotel is getting a room facing away from the airport, at least as much as possible. They all seem to be fairly run down anyways, so go for quiet over upgrades.
If you're at the LAX Marriott get a room facing away from Century Blvd! I got upgraded to a junior suite but traffic on Century kept me up most of the night, as LAX have flights leaving basically 24 hours & traffic was ongoing. I ran into similar at SHS Portland Airport (but not 24 hour thing; however, it was really loud w/ traffic on main road into airport).

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
I know that this might seem like an obvious question, but what is your status with Marriott if any?
Just a lowly gold...thought they were just blowing me off....on a positive note, my room met all my set preferences...just really dislike being lied to but didn't want to make a fuss for a room that mat have not really been an "upgrade"
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
If you have a little time, you can call Marriott reservations and ask for the GM's email address. Shoot a quick email and say you were disappointed with this policy.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by njcommodore
If you have a little time, you can call Marriott reservations and ask for the GM's email address. Shoot a quick email and say you were disappointed with this policy.
That's a good suggestion.

When an employee at a Marriott-affilated property cites a fictitious Corporate policy to justify something -- as if the hotel would would like to do something good for a guest, but is prevented from doing so by Corporate -- it's never a good thing.

Either the guest will know it's a lie (and people don't like being lied to), or the guest will think Marriott has stupid restrictions on how hotels can treat guests across the whole company.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ehallison
Definitely not a corporate policy! But as Horace mentioned, upgrades aren't really meaningful at these locations anyway. We received a Lake view room at the Orlando Airport Marriott 4 months ago, on the executive floor which is a high floor. It's nice to be recognized, but the room itself wasn't a big deal. It was still a tired airport-hotel room.
The MCO FS usually UGs me to a giant two room suite on the same floor as the CL. The suite is comically large. One of the few times I actually wanted an UG - family traveling with me - I called ahead of time. They explained there are only two of those suites and one was involved in a long term rental, so they couldn't guaranty anything, which is understandable. They still came through and were able to make my second room a room attached to the suite.

I've also gotten UGs at the MCO Ren, the LAX Marriott and Ren, the PHL Ren, the EWR FS, the PIT FS and both the north and south DFW FSs, so if there is a policy of not UGs at airport hotels, there sure are many rule breakers out there.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:58 pm

I often switch hotels to be closer to the airport when I have the extra early flights. Since it's usually a 1 nighter I often get upgraded so YMMV. Unfortunately its usually an early night sleep then out on the bus in the morning so I don't get to enjoy the ammenity but am grateful for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.