Best way to use 1 million points

Old Feb 12, 17, 4:20 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by t1c View Post
I'm very familiar with Delta. The 120k in miles I could use on Skyteam with KLM/Air France for 37K rt in economy specials right now to fly to Europe for 7 days. And I can bring 2 other people with me if I wanted to.
Sounds like an error award, they probably forgot a 0 at the end, it is usually 370k...:P
Old Feb 12, 17, 4:34 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Sounds like an error award, they probably forgot a 0 at the end, it is usually 370k...:P
Go here.

https://www.flyingblue.com/promo-awards.html

Oops I lied is 37.5k not 37k to fly from DTW to Europe.
Old Feb 12, 17, 4:39 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by t1c View Post
Go here.

https://www.flyingblue.com/promo-awards.html

Oops I lied is 37.5k not 37k to fly from DTW to Europe.
Oh, I see, these are usual discounted klm awards, not Delta, I am familiar with them, now everything makes sense.
Old Feb 12, 17, 4:56 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Oh, I see, these are usual discounted klm awards, not Delta, I am familiar with them, now everything makes sense.
Its all about maximizing miles. They have these awards every quarter. You just have to look for them.
Old Feb 12, 17, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
but for vacation packages wouldn't the bang for your buck depend on what category hotel? I mean, obviously relating to the Category 1 to 5 package; if you are staying at a Cat 2 or 3, you don't get same value as Cat 5.
I agree. When you book a Cat 1-5 Travel Package you are paying the Cat 5 price even if you only stay at a Cat 2/3 property. Thus you are overpaying for the hotel portion of the package by 60-90k points. Subtract this from the value of the airlines points transferred and suddenly the TP doesn't look like such a great deal anymore.

That why I've booked a few Cat 2 stays with the 5th award night free deal. Getting 10 nights at a Cat 2 property for 80k points saved me $1,200 out of pocket. I consider 1.5cpp a fine value. Even moreso because it's hard cost: I would have paid that $1,200 to stay at that hotel (or a competitor) if I didn't have the points. The same is not true of frequently overpriced premium cabin airline tickets.
Old Feb 13, 17, 6:52 pm
t1c

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
I agree. When you book a Cat 1-5 Travel Package you are paying the Cat 5 price even if you only stay at a Cat 2/3 property. Thus you are overpaying for the hotel portion of the package by 60-90k points. Subtract this from the value of the airlines points transferred and suddenly the TP doesn't look like such a great deal anymore.

That why I've booked a few Cat 2 stays with the 5th award night free deal. Getting 10 nights at a Cat 2 property for 80k points saved me $1,200 out of pocket. I consider 1.5cpp a fine value. Even moreso because it's hard cost: I would have paid that $1,200 to stay at that hotel (or a competitor) if I didn't have the points. The same is not true of frequently overpriced premium cabin airline tickets.
True I usually stay at a category 5 or better hotel so the packages work for me.

Search this Thread