Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Review the 2017 Marriott Rewards category changes, and maximize your points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:09 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge
Original Poster

On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category. This year, 60% will move up and 40% will move down. You can explore the preliminary list of changes here and plan how to maximize your Marriott Rewards® points. Then decide if you’d like to redeem your points prior to or after the changes take place on March 7, 2017.

Don’t forget to link your accounts and transfer points to redeem at hotels and resorts that participate in the SPG® program. You can check out the SPG category changes here.

Remember, categories are always subject to change and adjustments may be made at any time. We strive to provide you with the latest, most accurate information.

Once again, you can view the list of changes here.

Best regards,
Marriott Concierge
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the advanced warning. I'm sure it will be helpful for those deciding on whether to pull the plug on a reservation or not.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Thanks for both of these, & the moves up & down.
Interesting changes in Asia.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:52 am

Renaissance Heathrow dropping to category 5 seems nice

Jw Marriott Kuala Lumpur going to category 3 from 5 a few years ago

Too many US changes to keep track
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:54 am

No category 10 added this year again, so that can be a win in itself. As usual, the moves from category 5 to 6 impact us the most. The toughest one for us is the San Jose Marriott Costa Rica - it always seemed to me to be undervalued at a category 5, but it's moving up to a 6. Curacao Renaissance moving from a 5 to a 6, as well as Courtyard Bali at Nua Dusa, were on our 18-24 month travel schedule also. I may have to suck it up and shift the category 5 travel certificates to cat 6, as we can't hit all in the next 13 months!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Gaylord National dropping to a cat 5. I like that!

I appreciate this info for sure. We are locking in a lot of award stays the next few weeks.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joeags
No category 10 added this year again, so that can be a win in itself.
I think most here weren't expecting new categories or sweeping "changes" to the program now. The blood bath will occur later this year when we get the announcement for the new "combined" SPG/Marriott program.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
JW Bogota moving from 5 to 6. This was IMO one of the very best Cat 5s out there. I have a cert I may try to burn prior to the change.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by joeags
No category 10 added this year again, so that can be a win in itself.
^^^

For me the biggest loss is RC Lake Tahoe 4->5 as this bumps it out of the Chase free nights range.

No shocker that Africa, Russia, Venezuela and Middle East are dropping, tourists are not exactly flocking to use their points there.

By contrast the 4->5 bump for mediocre Westin Kyoto simply demonstrates high demand due to lack of competition. Ditto for Sheraton Delfina and Petaluma.

On the plus side, nice to see Westin Copley Plaza drop 6->5 and a couple of New Orleans properties are also down.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott, KrisFlyer, VA Elevate, and others
It feels like most of California is out of the 1-5 range by this point. Rats.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Residence Inn LAX/El Sedundo moves from 5->6, out of cert range.

Bummer to lose airport properties. Always have been a good use of certs when staging for flights / overnights. However, IIRC, there would still be one LAX cat 5 left.

BTW - Hate the list comes out in alphabetical order for USA properties. Very hard to evaluate for specific locations.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:32 pm

Craziest stat of the day:

Since the 2010 category changes (the oldest I have tracked), over 3,550 hotels have changed category. One hotel has risen SIX category levels since that period in time! In 2010, it dropped from a category 2 to a category one. In 2017, it will have reached its highest level, as a category 7 hotel. This special hotel? The Fairfield Inn Aiken!

(3 hotels have risen 5 categories - Springhill Suites Charleston North, FF Inn State College, and Courtyard Nashville Downtown)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by crimsona

Jw Marriott Kuala Lumpur going to category 3 from 5 a few years ago

Too many US changes to keep track
Really surprised to see JW getting dropped...Renaissance was cat 3, now everyone will go to JW instead of Ren to maximize the points value.

Residence inn Pitt Northshore is skyrocketting...always full on football weekends...no wonder it goes up but cat 7....
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:35 pm

Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Center changes to cat 3? This could potentially make the other Marriott/Starwood hotels in Shanghai downtown area uncompetitive when it comes to points redemption.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
^^^

For me the biggest loss is RC Lake Tahoe 4->5 as this bumps it out of the Chase free nights range.
I thought the Chase certs were Cat 1-5, or do you get a free RC cert that only goes up to Tier 4?

Originally Posted by crimsona
Agree. It was that for a few years & went up last year or the year before.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.