Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Review the 2017 Marriott Rewards category changes, and maximize your points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review the 2017 Marriott Rewards category changes, and maximize your points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Just curious, are the cash room rates affected by cat changes?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NoviceFT
Residence inn Pitt Northshore is skyrocketting...always full on football weekends...no wonder it goes up but cat 7....
That's the problem with a lot of these limited service hotels that get filled up a few times a year for events, they get slapped with a higher cat year after year.

So a bleak night on an empty February when visiting family costs the same a football Saturday.

I'm afraid to look at NYC, Chicago, SF, etc, I'm sure every hotel has crept another 5,000...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Explorer789
at least at spg, it tends to be the other way around + matrixed with occupancy rates.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Well, my last two Cat 5 faves in the US-- places where I could get $125-150 of value from a Chase cert in a location not on the side of a highway outside a city-- are rising to Cat 6 now....
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:59 pm

Which one is the Canyon Lodge, Autograph Collection, that's going from cat 6 to 5? Is it the Kessler Canyon Lodge? Isn't it no longer part of the Marriott family?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Explorer789
No, of course not, cash rates are dictated by the local market and are going to vary wildly by supply and demand.

They may correlate, of course, as more luxurious properties tend to have higher average daily rates and categories.

Then again, I've seen CAT 6 & 7 FI's on the outskirts of NYC that can be had for $109 some nights...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
at least at spg, it tends to be the other way around + matrixed with occupancy rates.
Well I had just booked the JW Marriott in KL last week on a non-refundable, so seeing it drop to from cat 4 to 3 makes me wonder if I pulled the trigger too early. But chances are it won't matter since occupancy in June will probably be high anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I thought the Chase certs were Cat 1-5, or do you get a free RC cert that only goes up to Tier 4?
Sorry, I meant the JPM (Chase) Ritz Carlton card, which normally comes with a signup bonus of 2 or 3 free nights at RC Tier 1-4 properties. That limitation is a big minus, as the RC Cat 5 properties are among the most popular and desirable (no shocker).

Contrast to both Hyatt and IC, where all properties are fair game.

Originally Posted by joshua362

I'm afraid to look at NYC, Chicago, SF, etc, I'm sure every hotel has crept another 5,000...
Surprisingly that was not the case, but mostly because the top properties are already Cat 8 or 9, and the lowest tier are already beyond the range of Cat 1-4 or 1-5 free night certs.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tth6133
Which one is the Canyon Lodge, Autograph Collection, that's going from cat 6 to 5? Is it the Kessler Canyon Lodge? Isn't it no longer part of the Marriott family?
I was wondering that, too! Nothing resembling that name shows up on the Autograph Collection page, and Google returned nothing.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:01 am

Ritz Carlton Bali only a category 2?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by lorribarnes
Ritz Carlton Bali only a category 2?
The Ritz-Carlton Bali is going from RC Tier 3 to RC Tier 2, not from Category 3 to Category 2.

The list would have been better if the Tier numbers had been prefaced with the letter T, such as T3 to T2.

I guess everyone is supposed to know that the numbers for Ritz-Carlton and Edition properties are Tiers, not Categories.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Le Meridien Bora Bora is going from 6 to 7 on the SPG chart, which may not be surprising, but it is apparently being transported to North America, at least according to the chart in its current iteration.
(Biting my tongue to avoid an alt-fact comment)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I am affected because a hotel I am staying at this summer is going up in category (from 7 to 8). I hold a points award reservation for the desired period of my stay there and plan to redeem a 7-night category certificate (from Travel Package redemption) towards it.

Do I have to apply the cert towards the reservation now to lock-in the category 7, or is it enough that I hold the reservation as a points award at the category 7 level ?

If I redeem the cert now, will I be able to make a small modification to the stay dates while maintaining the lock on the category 7 redemption ?

Thank you
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I am affected because a hotel I am staying at this summer is going up in category (from 7 to 8). I hold a points award reservation for the desired period of my stay there and plan to redeem a 7-night category certificate (from Travel Package redemption) towards it.

Do I have to apply the cert towards the reservation now to lock-in the category 7, or is it enough that I hold the reservation as a points award at the category 7 level ?

If I redeem the cert now, will I be able to make a small modification to the stay dates while maintaining the lock on the category 7 redemption ?

Thank you
AFAIK, as long as you hold the ressie right now you should be good. Having said that, is there a reason you don't want to attach the cert before March 7th - ie, I'd attach it by March 7th just to be safe.

You can make a date change through March 6th. March 7th onwards the new category applies.

Cheers.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
AFAIK, as long as you hold the ressie right now you should be good. Having said that, is there a reason you don't want to attach the cert before March 7th - ie, I'd attach it by March 7th just to be safe.

You can make a date change through March 6th. March 7th onwards the new category applies.

Cheers.
I don't want to attach the cert yet as the stay is far ahead during the summer and the dates are not firm yet. What do you advise ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.