Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra Adult Charge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Extra Adult Charge

I was looking to book a room at RC/JW/REN Kuala Lumpur but noticed to my surprised that I was slapped with a 150 MYR/$35 per night "Extra adult charge (children may be exempted)" for all properties for our family of 2 adults and 1 infant.

The thing is that the detailed page for clicking through to a hotel does not differentiate from adults and children and checking for 2 adults or 1 adult + 1 child did not yield the charge. Out of my hundreds of nights spent in hotels I've never heard of an extra fee being charged for an accompanying infant. For crib/baby cote sure but there's no indication of that here.

Is this common for Marriott and this particular city? Checking similar hotels (Hyatt/Mandarin Oriental/Hilton) I see at most marginal (20 MYR/night) added to the price for a third guest/infant.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I was looking to book a room at RC/JW/REN Kuala Lumpur but noticed to my surprised that I was slapped with a 150 MYR/$35 per night "Extra adult charge (children may be exempted)" for all properties for our family of 2 adults and 1 infant.

The thing is that the detailed page for clicking through to a hotel does not differentiate from adults and children and checking for 2 adults or 1 adult + 1 child did not yield the charge. Out of my hundreds of nights spent in hotels I've never heard of an extra fee being charged for an accompanying infant. For crib/baby cote sure but there's no indication of that here.

Is this common for Marriott and this particular city? Checking similar hotels (Hyatt/Mandarin Oriental/Hilton) I see at most marginal (20 MYR/night) added to the price for a third guest/infant.
Just book as 2 adults and you will be fine. You can subsequently follow-up with an email asking about a crib for your infant.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Just encountered a similar issue trying to book CY Niagara Falls, Ontario. I entered 2 adults, 3 children, and it's applying a 30.00 total "extra adult charge". If I decrease the number of children, it goes down, it's 10.00 per person. I do not want to just book for 2 adults because I want a room with 2 beds and do not want to be upgraded to an exec king or something like that. Not sure what the right way to handle this is.

Any experience with just ignoring this and hoping that common sense will prevail at check in?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LPCJr
Any experience with just ignoring this and hoping that common sense will prevail at check in?
What you consider common sense and what the hotel considers common sense may very well differ.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What you consider common sense and what the hotel considers common sense may very well differ.
I agree, which is why I am trying to understand how this has actually been handled in practice. Obviously there is an error in their reservation system that is counting children as adults. I'm just not sure how to 1) book for the proper number of people, AND 2) be charged for the correct number of adults (i.e. Only 2).
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
have you tried calling the Rooms Manager at the hotel to get the answer ?

BTW, since this is Canada then may have different rules then you're used to.

I agree, which is why I am trying to understand how this has actually been handled in practice. Obviously there is an error in their reservation system that is counting children as adults. I'm just not sure how to 1) book for the proper number of people, AND 2) be charged for the correct number of adults (i.e. Only 2).
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What was the property's answer when you called? If it's an error, just get it fixed before you arrive.

FD clerks can be unempowered and, depending on specific local fire codes, your room may not be available for 5 people. "Fixing" it at check-in can mean picking up a second room at the rack rate.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1
What was the property's answer when you called? If it's an error, just get it fixed before you arrive.

FD clerks can be unempowered and, depending on specific local fire codes, your room may not be available for 5 people. "Fixing" it at check-in can mean picking up a second room at the rack rate.
The rate rules say max occupancy is 5. It's not an issue of being able to book for 5 people. It's a question of being erroneously charged for additional adults when I have specified that 3 of the people are children.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
For this one reservation you could change your profile to two beds and change it back to your original designation after your stay. Just a thought....
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jtp1947
For this one reservation you could change your profile to two beds and change it back to your original designation after your stay. Just a thought....
The issue is not being able to book a room with the correct number of beds. It is that the reservation system is treating 2 Adults + 3 Children as 5 Adults, and thus charging for 3 additional adults. I have also expanded my search to the other Niagara Falls properties, and all of them are doing this, so it is not a property-specific problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.