Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Toledo Downtown, OH [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...owntown-hotel/

Category 5. Opening May 2017. Has an exec lounge. Says open daily, so thinking M Lounge?

"The Renaissance Toledo Downtown Hotel will be opening in the heart of downtown Toledo with sweeping views of the Maumee River from the rooftop bar. The interior design of the hotel is inspired from the local glass culture and will feature a trendy three meal restaurant and the Renaissance signature “R” Lounge on the main floor. Ideally situated along the Maumee River, two blocks from Toledo’s main convention center and connected to nearby buildings through an underground Pedway, including the tourist favorite Imagination Station Science Museum, the 12-story hotel will feature 240 modern guest rooms.

Parking
On-site parking, fee: 8 USD daily
Valet parking, fee: 15 USD daily

Property Details
13 floors , 234 rooms , 7 suites
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Now opening September 2017.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I stayed here. A few thoughts on this franchise -- owned and operated by Chicago-based First Hospitality Group:

1) Very much in keeping with what I call the new "corporate boutique" brand standard for Renaissance. Hotel was re-flagged and closed for something like two years while it was gutted out.
2) Great location for downtown Toledo, walking distance to corporate offices and entertainment.
3) Staff is very friendly. The hotel has only been open for three months so there are a lot of inconsistencies and bugs that need to be worked out, especially at the restaurant in the lobby.
4) Hotel has two restaurants and bars. Both seem especially popular with locals. Reservations required on weekends -- very unusual for Toledo. The top-floor casual restaurant has a great outdoor patio for warmer weather.
5) There is a lounge that is called the "club lounge" by the attendant, designated the "executive lounge" on signage, and called the "concierge lounge" by the front desk. It is not a M Club, strictly speaking. Nice space with natural lighting. However, it is very small. You couldn't comfortably fit more than 10-12 people in it. Two computer terminals (Mac and PC). Huge (at least 55 inches) TV. Selection of daily newspapers -- the daily Toledo newspaper, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal. WSJ and local newspaper were available on the weekend, too. Front desk said hours were 24, but attendant said it was open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Food only served at night during the week, but breakfast was 7 days per week. Beer was visible, but locked up. Non-alcoholic beverages as well as bottled water, juice and Greek yogurt were always accessible. Various snacks were available at the weekend, including cookies. I thought breakfast in the lounge went to 11 a.m. but it was gone by 10 a.m. Attendant never checked on lounge the rest of the day as by 4-5 p.m., there were plenty of dirty glasses and empty cans laying out.
6) Room have a modern decor. 55-inch TVs. One bathrobe provided in upper level rooms even in rooms with double beds. These rooms also get one bottle of complimentary water. Lower level rooms don't have a bathrobe or complimentary water.
7) Bathrooms are smaller, especially showers. You can't turn the shower on without getting wet.
8) There are only four electrical outlets in the entire room, one at each nightstand and two at the desk. The nightstand reading lights weren't functional. Blackout curtains were cheap and not totally effective.
9) Aveda toiletries, which are standard for domestic Renaissance properties. No mouthwash or vanity kit.
10) Valet parking is a must as self-parking is about two blocks away in a garage. $20 per day valet with unlimited in/out.
11) The three elevators for the entire hotel -- no service elevator for staff -- are extremely slow.
12) Some wear-and-tear already, despite only being open for a couple months. Dirty unwashed windows, stained walls, chipped paint, cracked tile flooring. Surprising.
13) Great basement gym with natural lighting and lots of treadmills.
14) Supposedly, all of the coffee, except the in-room coffee, is Illycaffč. No espresso machine in executive lounge but there was one in the lobby restaurant.
15) When I was in the lounge, the attendant left a printout of the elite guests. The printout was three pages long and was mostly golds and silvers. Apparently, silvers get access at this property. There were five platinums, which I thought was high given this is Toledo and it was the weekend. This could be a very platinum-heavy hotel during the week, which could be a major issue given the small size of the lounge.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Oct 30, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Huge (at least 55 inches) TV.
55"? Uh, maybe not "huge."
Thanks for detailed observations on the property!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Parking
On-site parking, fee: 8 USD daily
Valet parking, fee: 15 USD daily
Myself & some other FTers are staying at this property on Sat night, valet is now $22 and no mention of self park on website. Will of course report back on my experiences
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:01 pm

I'm from Toledo. I'll have to check out this hotel when I'm in town visiting family. Thanks for the info 😊
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
@hockeyinsider did quite a nice job of many points so I'm using the same format and posting my comments/experiences to appropriate points

2) Great location for downtown Toledo, walking distance to corporate offices and entertainment. Willie's comment: AGREED ! For those who go out, there are golf carts in the evening that will drive one back to the hotel from the bars/restaurants, phone number is: 419-810-2268 There is NO cost for this service, the carts work on tips!
3) Staff is very friendly. The hotel has only been open for three months so there are a lot of inconsistencies and bugs that need to be worked out, especially at the restaurant in the lobby. Willie's comment: While I found the staff very nice & responsive, they really never listened to me spelling my name (valet repeated got it wrong, front desk repeatedly got it wrong, despite me spelling/enunciating very clearly, it's almost as if they were trying to outguess me)
4) Hotel has two restaurants and bars. Both seem especially popular with locals. Reservations required on weekends -- very unusual for Toledo. The top-floor casual restaurant has a great outdoor patio for warmer weather. Willie's comment: we did go up on Saturday afternoon on a nice sunny day and the top floor bar was indeed packed. There were 3 weddings going on which I'm sure added to the crowds.
5) There is a lounge that is called the "club lounge" by the attendant, designated the "executive lounge" on signage, and called the "concierge lounge" by the front desk. It is not a M Club, strictly speaking. Nice space with natural lighting. However, it is very small. You couldn't comfortably fit more than 10-12 people in it. Two computer terminals (Mac and PC). Huge (at least 55 inches) TV. Selection of daily newspapers -- the daily Toledo newspaper, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal. WSJ and local newspaper were available on the weekend, too. Front desk said hours were 24, but attendant said it was open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Food only served at night during the week, but breakfast was 7 days per week. Beer was visible, but locked up. Non-alcoholic beverages as well as bottled water, juice and Greek yogurt were always accessible. Various snacks were available at the weekend, including cookies. I thought breakfast in the lounge went to 11 a.m. but it was gone by 10 a.m. Attendant never checked on lounge the rest of the day as by 4-5 p.m., there were plenty of dirty glasses and empty cans laying out. Willie's comment: lounge is on Floor 2, nice breakfast selection of eggs, cheesy hash browns, large slices of ham (not deli but actual large slices), of course fruit, bread/bagels, juices, pop, coffee
6) Room have a modern decor. 55-inch TVs. One bathrobe provided in upper level rooms even in rooms with double beds. These rooms also get one bottle of complimentary water. Lower level rooms don't have a bathrobe or complimentary water. Willie's comment: There weren't any waters in our 11th floor room but one could get them from the lounge so no bid deal. The robe is black with soft lining, if it was red and quilted, would have reminded me of something like Hugh Hefner would have worn
7) Bathrooms are smaller, especially showers. You can't turn the shower on without getting wet. Willie's comment: didn't have that issue of getting wet but bathrooms are not large.
8) There are only four electrical outlets in the entire room, one at each nightstand and two at the desk. The nightstand reading lights weren't functional. Blackout curtains were cheap and not totally effective. Willie's comment: blackout curtains must have been replaced as they were fine for us, they did not however go all the way to the ceiling so some light was able to come in. Didn't really observe the outlets, as there were a couple USB charging ports in the nightstand (on side). All lights worked.
10) Valet parking is a must as self-parking is about two blocks away in a garage. Willie's comment: Valet is now $22 per day with unlimited in/out.
11) The three elevators for the entire hotel -- no service elevator for staff -- are extremely slow. Willie's comment: even with 3 weddings going on, I didn't think the elevators were slow
12) Some wear-and-tear already, despite only being open for a couple months. Dirty unwashed windows, stained walls, chipped paint, cracked tile flooring. Surprising. Willie's comment: didn't notice any wear/tear

So easy decision for me, I'll stay at this property again next summer when the next Toledo Mudhens Do will happen
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Agree with Willie's comments. Overall, a very nice stay. Great location and modern comfortable rooms.
Plat Prem was obviously worth something here. They found me a great room (corner, with great view of the river) with a Noon arrival, and an obviously packed house, with others waiting for rooms to open up.
Plat Prem=skipping the line.

Nice Aveda amenities, including body wash.

Next Toledo Do is an easy choice. This should remain party central.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:36 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
First post in almost 5 years!
Actually, not a lot has changed from the posts above. Valet still $22/nt. Directions offered for "near-by" self-park option; I have no other details about parking.
Bar on top floor very busy with locals until about 7:30. Then gets quieter for rest of evening.
Booked a room that had "R" lounge access. Not sure if I, as lowly Gold, would have been given it otherwise.
Probably the nicest hotel in Toledo!

Last edited by Zip; Aug 8, 2023 at 12:37 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.