Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marquis Marriott Chicago [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...rquis-chicago/

No category assigned yet, but assuming it will be an 8 or 9. Website says opening July 2017.

Has exec lounge. Too soon to know if it will be closed on weekends w/ brekkie in the restaurant or one of the 13 exempt/1,000 points instead properties.

"Premier Chicago Convention Hotel

Chicago Marriott Marquis, opening in 2017, will soar 40 stories over the city's lakefront and South Loop, with 1205 stylish guest rooms. Directly connected to McCormick Place. Located near the lakefront and two blocks from the Green Line ‘L' stop, guests can experience Chicago's many attractions; such as Millennium Park, Navy Pier, and Soldier Field. With both of Chicago's major airports accessible through public transportation, the Marriott Marquis' prime location makes it easy for meeting attendees across the globe to gather in one place."

I'm assuming the parking for valet meant to say daily. I can't imagine it being hourly!

Parking
Valet parking, fee: 65 USD hourly
Off-site parking, fee: 24 USD daily

Property Details
39 floors , 1,191 rooms , 15 suites
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Now opening August 2017.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Still showing opening this month. Cat 8.

Says this for the M Lounge:

This room features M Club Lounge lounge access
Open: Sun-Sat, Open: Mon-Thur 0630-2200 / Fri 0630-1200 / Sat-Sun 1700-2200

I'm guessing it's a bit off, since it doesn't mention breakfast on the weekends & it looks like it closes for food Friday morning, which implies closed for the weekend. Will call the property once it opens, unless someone stays there first & reports back.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I thought M Club lounge are supposed to be 24/7.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
I thought M Club lounge are supposed to be 24/7.
They might be available 24/7 for snacks, soft drinks, but full breakfast & evening offerings vary. Some M Lounges are open for both brekkie/evening apps daily; others are brekkie daily but no evening apps on Fri-Sat nights; and some offer brekkie in the restaurant on Sat-Sun but no evening apps Fri-Sat.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Chicago Tribune Article

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...908-story.html

Chicago welcomes its newest mega hotel, Marriott Marquis, opening Sunday

There’s an operative word for the Marriott Marquis Chicago.

Big.

Big, tall, powerful and gleaming, the 40-floor, 1,205-room Marquis will be Chicago’s sixth-largest hotel when it opens on Sunday.

After nearly two years of construction, Marquis embraces, perhaps even flaunts, its scope: Spaces are broad, the lobby ceiling reaches 30 feet, the restaurant serving three meals a day seats 400, and natural light floods in through floor-to-ceiling windows.

In the era of boutique and lifestyle hotels, Marriott Marquis is sprawling and powerfully urban — albeit with the occasional boutique amenity, such as the ability to order room service on your phone and the art commissioned by 40 Chicago artists. Many of the pieces have QR codes for more information about the art and the artist.

The Chicago property marks Marriott's seventh Marquis hotel in its portfolio. Each is located in a major city and has 1,000 or more guest rooms and at least 90,000 square feet of event space. It is the largest new hotel in the Marriott chain to open this year anywhere on the planet.

The reason for all that space is the hotel’s neighbor: McCormick Place, the largest convention center in North America. A pedestrian bridge connects Marriott Marquis to all 2.6 million square feet of exhibition space inside McCormick Place, which makes the new hotel a natural destination for convention goers.

Marquis boasts 90,000 square feet of meeting space unto itself — including 29 smaller meeting spaces in the old American Book Co. building, a former textbook factory next to the new construction — and 50,000 square feet of ballrooms.

Another neighbor is the soon-to-open 10,000-seat Wintrust Arena, which will be home to the DePaul basketball team.

So as not to overwhelm the sprawling space, Marquis takes on a fairly minimalist approach that includes lean aesthetics and neutral colors, especially in the guest rooms. Rooms are constructed largely in gray and white, coming off as sleek and unfussy. Each room includes a chaise lounge, plus a low table designed to serve as an easy place to eat a meal or set up a laptop computer.

The average starting rate is $250.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dcchi
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...908-story.html

Chicago welcomes its newest mega hotel, Marriott Marquis, opening Sunday

There’s an operative word for the Marriott Marquis Chicago.

Big.

Big, tall, powerful and gleaming, the 40-floor, 1,205-room Marquis will be Chicago’s sixth-largest hotel when it opens on Sunday.

After nearly two years of construction, Marquis embraces, perhaps even flaunts, its scope: Spaces are broad, the lobby ceiling reaches 30 feet, the restaurant serving three meals a day seats 400, and natural light floods in through floor-to-ceiling windows.

In the era of boutique and lifestyle hotels, Marriott Marquis is sprawling and powerfully urban — albeit with the occasional boutique amenity, such as the ability to order room service on your phone and the art commissioned by 40 Chicago artists. Many of the pieces have QR codes for more information about the art and the artist.

The Chicago property marks Marriott's seventh Marquis hotel in its portfolio. Each is located in a major city and has 1,000 or more guest rooms and at least 90,000 square feet of event space. It is the largest new hotel in the Marriott chain to open this year anywhere on the planet.

The reason for all that space is the hotel’s neighbor: McCormick Place, the largest convention center in North America. A pedestrian bridge connects Marriott Marquis to all 2.6 million square feet of exhibition space inside McCormick Place, which makes the new hotel a natural destination for convention goers.

Marquis boasts 90,000 square feet of meeting space unto itself — including 29 smaller meeting spaces in the old American Book Co. building, a former textbook factory next to the new construction — and 50,000 square feet of ballrooms.

Another neighbor is the soon-to-open 10,000-seat Wintrust Arena, which will be home to the DePaul basketball team.

So as not to overwhelm the sprawling space, Marquis takes on a fairly minimalist approach that includes lean aesthetics and neutral colors, especially in the guest rooms. Rooms are constructed largely in gray and white, coming off as sleek and unfussy. Each room includes a chaise lounge, plus a low table designed to serve as an easy place to eat a meal or set up a laptop computer.

The average starting rate is $250.
In other words....no desks.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by goodeats21
How did you come to that conclusion? Slide No. 8 shows a guest room with a desk.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
How did you come to that conclusion? Slide No. 8 shows a guest room with a desk.
Photo # 8 is the exec lounge. If you look at these 2 photos (which are just computer-generated), it isn't a given that there's a regular desk. The second picture makes it look like there's a desk, but we won't really know until someone actually stays at the property.

Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Photo # 8 is the exec lounge. If you look at these 2 photos (which are just computer-generated), it isn't a given that there's a regular desk. The second picture makes it look like there's a desk, but we won't really know until someone actually stays at the property.
in the slide show Picture no. 8 has the following description
A shot of the Chicago River hangs on the wall of a guest room at the Marriott Marquis, where views of the city are expansive.
The picture I am looking at clearly shows a desk with a TV on it.

But I am thinking like you, how can anything be confirmed until we have a professional preview or people check in and sleep in a bed?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

in the slide show Picture no. 8 has the following description
The picture I am looking at clearly shows a desk with a TV on it.

But I am thinking like you, how can anything be confirmed until we have a professional preview or people check in and sleep in a bed?
That is so weird. The photos I'm looking at don't have any description other than king guest room, etc. We are in agreement re: need to wait for someone to stay there & do a report. I'll call this week to inquire whether the M Lounge is open daily (and by daily I mean full evening apps even on the weekend as well as breakfast). If I remember I'll ask about desks in the room.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: LTP, PP
If the rooms are anything like the renovated rooms at the Mag Mile, they are going to suck...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Well, the pictures show some type of flat surface, but the chair shown is hardly indicative of a desk chair. I would expect something a bit adjustable for a true desk setup.

But I will be happy to be proven wrong, once someone has some first-hand experience.

Originally Posted by joshua362
If the rooms are anything like the renovated rooms at the Mag Mile, they are going to suck...
And that is why I don't give the benefit of the doubt here. Marriott has been pulling desks out of rooms. No reason to think this is any different yet.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Where is this in relation to the Hyatt? Would be hard to beat the easy access the Hyatt has to McCormick place, although it looks like this Mariott has better views.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
Where is this in relation to the Hyatt? Would be hard to beat the easy access the Hyatt has to McCormick place, although it looks like this Mariott has better views.
Pretty close - looks like they're across the street from each other give or take/not that far apart. If you google it brings up an image/shows them both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.