Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by msp3
Would Golds be able to access the lounge? or is it considered a resort property like every other Marriott in the islands?
All indications are that The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection is classified as a hotel, not as a resort. Gold and Platinum members should get the lounge/breakfast benefit at this property.

The official Marriott.com listing for The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection, continues to show "Our Hotel" (not "Our Resort").

There's an executive level. Guests in Executive Rooms get "Continental breakfast from Lobby Espresso Cafe." There's "Bottled water and sodas at concierge floor," and "Light snacks offered on concierge floor daily." I assume Gold and Platinum members will have access, even if not upgraded to the executive level.

This hotel has a pool and a fitness center, but it lacks many of the features associated with a resort. It does not have a full-service spa. There's just one restaurant for dinner. It's really not a self-contained destination property.

Reservations are currently available beginning April 10, 2017.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 12, 2017 at 10:39 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Horace
All indications are that The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection is classified as a hotel, not as a resort. Gold and Platinum members should get the lounge/breakfast benefit at this property.

The official Marriott.com listing for The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection, continues to show "Our Hotel" (not "Our Resort").

There's an executive level. Guests in Executive Rooms get "Continental breakfast from Lobby Espresso Cafe." There's "Bottled water and sodas at concierge floor," and "Light snacks offered on concierge floor daily." I assume Gold and Platinum members will have access, even if not upgraded to the executive level.

This hotel has a pool and a fitness center, but it lacks many of the features associated with a resort. It does not have a full-service spa. There's just one restaurant for dinner. It's really not a self-contained destination property.

Reservations are currently available beginning April 10, 2017.
It appears like many of these reflags the owner is doing minimum required to get the flag. Having said that if the price point is underneath the FS Marriott and the conversion is done nicely not like the CY which was and still is a disaster then I am fine with the limited services. There are a lot of flags popping up of late so competition is booming.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
It appears like many of these reflags the owner is doing minimum required to get the flag. Having said that if the price point is underneath the FS Marriott and the conversion is done nicely not like the CY which was and still is a disaster then I am fine with the limited services. There are a lot of flags popping up of late so competition is booming.
It seems the owner is doing quite a bit to convert the old Aqua Wave Waikiki into The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection -- at least if the renderings and descriptions from DLR Design (design/architecture/engineering) become a reality:

Aqua Wave Waikiki - A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel

The first two levels will be redone completely. The roof above those two levels will become space for guests, with a stylish new pool and other outdoor deck features. And I have no doubt the rooms in the tower will be thoroughly renovated.

When I wrote that The ‘Okina would lack many of the features associated with a resort, that wasn't meant as a criticism. It's just recognition that it's a hotel with a small footprint, and it's not on (or even particularly near) the beach, compared to many other Waikiki hotels.

The ‘Okina won't be a good choice for someone who wants to easy, daily access to the sandy beach at Waikiki or who wants to spend the day at a resort spa.

But I think it will be a great choice for someone who enjoys the cosmopolitan aspects of Waikiki and wants a vast number of shops and restaurants within a few blocks.

And I hope they'll treat Elite members well.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I walked down Duke's Lane the other night and wondered what the construction was. Unlike when they were building the Hyatt Centric and HGI, there was nothing on the constuction barriers saying what hotel it was going to be. I'll check it out if I'm down that way again this week and see what I can see.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:57 pm

It seems the owner is doing quite a bit to convert the old Aqua Wave Waikiki into The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection -- at least if the renderings and descriptions from DLR Design (design/architecture/engineering) become a reality:

Aqua Wave Waikiki - A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel

The first two levels will be redone completely. The roof above those two levels will become space for guests, with a stylish new pool and other outdoor deck features. And I have no doubt the rooms in the tower will be thoroughly renovated.

When I wrote that The ‘Okina would lack many of the features associated with a resort, that wasn't meant as a criticism. It's just recognition that it's a hotel with a small footprint, and it's not on (or even particularly near) the beach, compared to many other Waikiki hotels.

The ‘Okina won't be a good choice for someone who wants to easy, daily access to the sandy beach at Waikiki or who wants to spend the day at a resort spa.

But I think it will be a great choice for someone who enjoys the cosmopolitan aspects of Waikiki and wants a vast number of shops and restaurants within a few blocks.

And I hope they'll treat Elite members well.
Please forgive me, I own a construction company working in the western US and Guam as such I am from time to time involved in hotel construction. Renderings are wonderful for investors and municipalities but what is important is who the contractor is and what are his instructions. Case in point the Courtyard and the Hyatt Place both terrible conversations the CY received wide spread distain and had to redo their redo. Many of these redo's are lipstick, shower liners, "proportioned" furniture to make it look larger than it really is etc. The LAX Hyatt was just redone and their already having problems. Didn't do the plumbing right and the bathrooms smell

The real test will be when the hotel opens and the public can see and feel it.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:10 pm

The real test will be when the hotel opens and the public can see and feel it.
So true!

I've stayed at hotels that were beautifully renovated. (The Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette, originally from 1926, comes to mind.)

And I've stayed in renovated hotels where my reaction was, "What were they thinking?" (Who convinced the owners of the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge that guests don't want dressers, desks, closets, or any sort of low table by the sofa?)

I remain optimistic about The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection -- even if the final product is not as dramatic as the renderings. The roof of the base building is supposed to be converted into a deck with a pool, bar, and seating; this will be terrific addition. The rooms are supposed to get a Mid-Century treatment, appropriate for the architecture of the hotel.

The owners have an opportunity to make this a stylish boutique hotel.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 12, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And I've stayed in renovated hotels where my reaction was, "What were they thinking?" (Who convinced the owners of the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge that guests don't want dressers, desks, closets, or any sort of low table by the sofa?)
Not to sidetrack, but that would be the group that said millennials don't want all that

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:54 pm

So true!

I've stayed at hotels that were beautifully renovated. (The Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette, originally from 1926, comes to mind.)

I remain optimistic about The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection -- even if the final product is not as dramatic as the renderings. The roof of the base building is supposed to be converted into a deck with a pool, bar, and seating; this will be terrific addition. The rooms are supposed to get a Mid-Century treatment, appropriate for the architecture of the hotel.

The owners have an opportunity to make this a stylish boutique hotel.
^
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
The Okina is now taking reservations beginning April 1, 2017. I will visit for 2.5 weeks starting April 20. I have had conversations with the GM who has been incredibly responsive. He indicates that Marriott Platinum members (and presumably Gold) will receive a continental breakfast. They will not have a traditional staffed Concierge Lounge but, rather, some points of (to be determined) food and drink service for Executive level guests. There is a new pool and deck area. This is pretty much a complete gut renovation. I will file a more informed report after I check in.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerProf
The Okina is now taking reservations beginning April 1, 2017. I will visit for 2.5 weeks starting April 20. I have had conversations with the GM who has been incredibly responsive. He indicates that Marriott Platinum members (and presumably Gold) will receive a continental breakfast. They will not have a traditional staffed Concierge Lounge but, rather, some points of (to be determined) food and drink service for Executive level guests. There is a new pool and deck area. This is pretty much a complete gut renovation. I will file a more informed report after I check in.
Please do I have a feeling this is going to be a "limited" service property
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's an Autograph Collection. It's more the exception than the norm for Auto Cols to have exec lounges.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:12 pm

Not to worry. A new Dean & DeLucca deli is located nearby at the new Ritz Carlton. If you can't find it there you can't find it anywhere.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Not to worry. A new Dean & DeLucca deli is located nearby at the new Ritz Carlton. If you can't find it there you can't find it anywhere.
now that works !
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't know why they changed the name.. but it's now The Laylow, not The Okina.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by izzik
I don't know why they changed the name.. but it's now The Laylow, not The Okina.
What an embarrassing and silly name. "Lay Low" and run it together so it sounds sort of "Chinesey?" More like "Cheesey."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.