Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
For all intents and purposes, these certs are the same thing as using 20K points for a 1 night category 4 hotel certificate. (or 25K points for a 1 night cat. 5 hotel cert if you get the Pemier Visa card renewal cert.)
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Have not rec'd the card yet but the 15 EQS posted, I see the messages about the golf and the Cat 1-4 on my "view my" profile but is there supposed to be a link attached with it? I don't need to use it now, but would like to in August.. not sure what I'm doing wrong
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by hhoope01
There shouldn't be any issue with making one reservation for two nights. But for this to work, you don't want the online reservation tool to order the award cert for you as it would pull the point needed for a 2 night award. You will need to call MR and have them order you a 1-night e-cert.
Exactly. I did this at a category 4. Note that you have to pay the full amount for a 1-night award for the other night, whereas a 2-night award costs less per night. So if you have multiple trips planned, you may wish to consider which trip gives you best value from the cert.

Charles
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by BigYellowDog
Holy smokes! I just stumbled across this link and clicked it and lo and behold, I have a unused Visa 1-4 certificate that was "ordered" 1/22/07 !!!

No notice via mail or otherwise, I check my account online periodically but this is deep and buried. And I don't know why it is there, I only have the Premier card and that renews in October.

It might have been in response to a email fight I was having in December with a MR rep concerning a paper certificate mailed to me within 3 weeks of its expiration 2 years ago. The final exchange was nothing further could be done. Ironically, its here, unannounced, will expire again in 3 weeks hence !!

What was wrong with the old paper system, Marriott, assuming that they are mailed out on time?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:41 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by joshua362
What was wrong with the old paper system, Marriott, assuming that they are mailed out on time?
Paper certificates cost more money and are easy to misplace.

Kind regards,
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:55 am

I certainally concur with you Chris, but getting an electronic award without notification is useless.

Here is the URL to the main Marriot Rewards Account:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myAccount/activity.mi

I may be tired and dense, but I can't find a link to "unusedcerts.mi" from here or from any sub menu. I can't check on something that I didn't know existed. I apologize if I am just missing it.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:15 pm

I certainally concur with you Chris, but getting an electronic award without notification is useless.
We do notify our members of the electronic certificates via a "buck slip" which is mailed along with your new credit card. However in your case, it sounds like the representative you spoke with back in December didn't follow-up with you after the certificate was issued. I sincerely apologize for this.

I may be tired and dense, but I can't find a link to "unusedcerts.mi" from here or from any sub menu. I can't check on something that I didn't know existed. I apologize if I am just missing it.
You can access the unused certificate page by logging into your account, then clicking on "My Account", and then "View activity >>" (or "Marriott Rewards Activity" directly underneath "My Account" on the left hand side of the page). Under "Rewards Requested" click "view a list of all currently ordered certificates". This will take you to the unused certificate page.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
No "buck slip" and no e-cert

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
We do notify our members of the electronic certificates via a "buck slip" which is mailed along with your new credit card. However in your case, it sounds like the representative you spoke with back in December didn't follow-up with you after the certificate was issued. I sincerely apologize for this.

You can access the unused certificate page by logging into your account, then clicking on "My Account", and then "View activity >>" (or "Marriott Rewards Activity" directly underneath "My Account" on the left hand side of the page). Under "Rewards Requested" click "view a list of all currently ordered certificates". This will take you to the unused certificate page.
Sir,
My wife received her new MR credit card today and there was no "buck slip" in the envelope. When she signed in to her account and followed your instructions above we found no "free night" unused certificates. What's up?

Phil
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:22 pm

Here is the URL to the main Marriot Rewards Account:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myAccount/activity.mi

Never knew this was on the site - just found 2 unused upgrade certificates, will call tomorrow to see if i can get redeposited - what a surprise!
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Sir,
My wife received her new MR credit card today and there was no "buck slip" in the envelope. When she signed in to her account and followed your instructions above we found no "free night" unused certificates. What's up?

Phil
Has your wife ever had a MR credit card before?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Has your wife ever had a MR credit card before?
Nope, first time. I've never had one either. Should we call a CSR? Feel free to send me a PM if you want her acct. #, etc.

Phil
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Nope, first time. I've never had one either. Should we call a CSR? Feel free to send me a PM if you want her acct. #, etc.

Phil
Update for those still waiting for their points & e-cert to post: my wife's 20K pts. posted yesterday, 3 to 4 weeks after first purchase. However, still no e-cert for free night. Will wait another week & then call CSR.

Phil
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
fwiw, i'd ask to have the MR rep conference call in a Chase rep.

that was the only way i was able to get the cert issued after 3 mos of MR runaround.

good luck
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Denied use of 34A Visa free night award after reservation confirmed

I'm bumping this thread for 2 reasons:
1. This free night certificate is an e-certificate; there is no paper certificate, and although I've asked at least 4 different MR CSRs, none have indicated that I needed a certificate number. Am I going to have a problem at check-in or check-out? Do I need to insist on getting a certificate number? As other posters have indicated, my reservation confirmation simply indicates that this is a Marriott Rewards reservation, and my online reservation indicates that I need a 20,000 point reward certificate, though all the CSRs tell me that I'm confirmed for the Visa free night award.
2. My Visa free night award (34A) was electronically deposited in my account right after I got my MR Visa, on 5/28/07. On 5/29/07 I called MR and made a reservation for 12/22/07. The agent didn't mention any problem with expiration of the award. On 6/10/07 I reconfirmed this reservation, and again the CSR did not mention an expiration date problem. Today, I called again to reconfirm, and the CSR told me that the award expires on 11/28/07! I explained the above, and the CSR talked to her supervisor, who called the property, and the manager refused to honor the reservation. The supervisor then called MR customer service, and I was told that MR would not honor the reservation, extend the expiration date, or make any other adjustment, even though it was a MR reservation agent who made the reservation for me back on 5/29/07. Apparently, these certificates expire 6 months from the date of issue, and have to be used by then, not just applied to a future reservation by then. In the end, I did apply the certificate to another reservation, so I will get to use it.
Sorry for being so long-winded, but I was really shocked at the indifference of MR customer service (and so was the very helpful agent who tried to help me today). Anyone else encounter this problem?
Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:35 pm

Regarding #2, absolutely. Got the same run around with a paper certificate being mailed to me with 3 weeks to go before it expired. Complained for 2 years and never got anywhere with a few arrogent clerks at MR, Utah.

BTW, just got a 9/12/07 letter from Chase stating that an electronic cert 1-5 is being deposited into my account for the premier CC renewal. I can't find it anywhere but it expires "in 6 months from my anniversary date." Why can't they define it and tell me upfront?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.