Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 5:59 pm

We recently had a similar situation using the Marriott Visa Certificate. Our online account had the same statement of "you have not ordered your certificate yet", and how many points would be needed to redeem this night.

When we got to the hotel, there was no issue, the certificate is valid for one night at a category 4 or less as long as the reservation was made using Marriott Rewards. I just think that the software is not configured to indicate anything other than Marriott Rewards when not using revenue.

Dash
Old May 25, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Had same experience as dash with past certs from our Marriott personal and business cards. Call, book, see stay as unfunded reward stay, hand in cert at check-in.

Of course, the hotel managed to screw up and not only charge us revenue for that one night, but also for 3 other nights which were reward point nights (e-cert). Idiots...

Pat
Old May 25, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I made a reservation using my Visa cert last week. I've just checked to see what is in my record, and it has the same verbiage as yours.

" * Marriott Rewards Redemption Reservation
* Order reward certificate(s) for this reservation >>"

Within the body of the reservation, it says:

"Please note that you have not yet ordered an e-certificate for this reservation."

While it shows this as being a 20K award stay, none have been deducted from my account. I already have the paper cert in hand, and will take that with me.
I just checked my account today and have the same problem. One is with a (visa) certificate with a free night cat. 1-4 and the other on points.

I guess I need to give them a call too.
Old May 26, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I had a similar experience recently. The record was finally straightened out after I called and tell agent that I would like to use the 1-nite free cert for the FIRST day of my stay. That did it!
Old May 26, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by CBE
I applied a Marriott visa card fromChase and received a certificate good for one night at category four hotels. I called Marriott to make a reservation and I told them I will use the visa free night certificate. Yesterday I checked my account online and found that there is note for my reservation saying "Please note that you have not yet ordered an e-certificate for this reservation." Under summary of charges (cost per night per room) is says "Marriott Rewards points (see Reward Description)". Total points for stay is 20000.
My visa free night award reservation states the same. I don't expect any problems at check-in.
Old May 26, 2006, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by PhilC
My visa free night award reservation states the same. I don't expect any problems at check-in.
All you need to do is give them the cert number on check in...atleast that is what I was told - will see when I actually check in.
Old May 27, 2006, 8:39 am

I am getting ready to redeem my Free Night Certificate and have a couple of questions:

- The certificate is for a standard room. When I'm reviewing hotels for availibility, I notice that some show "standard reward" availibility and others that show only "stay anytime reward availibility" -- I assume that my Free Night Certificate could be used for either of these - any experience??

- Also, I would like to add another regular "pay" night to my stay but naturally would not want to have to check-out & check-in again (or risk having to change rooms). Is this possible?

I realize both questions can probably be answered in a phone call, but just trying to get the heads up before I try...
Old May 27, 2006, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't know for certain, but I'm going to guess that you might have trouble using the cert with a Stay Anytime.

If not...wow...that's a valuable cert!

When I called to redeem my EEO, which as ridiculous as it sounds has to be done via phone, I asked if I could just book a standard award online and use my Cat 4 Visa cert. The agent told me that would be OK - they just book a regular award on their end anyway.

At least I didn't need to use a carrier pigeon.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Your award certificate is equivalent to the "standard award". So it would not be usable with the "stay anytime" awards.

Since you will be mixing both award stays with paid stays, you have two options. You can make multiple reservations on line, but they are separate. Now with that said, when I have done that, I let the front desk person know that and I have never had to change rooms. So it is very possible that you wouldn't have to check in/out. This probably requires the front desk person to do a little extra work, but they are normally up for that challenge.

Option 2 is to call in to Marriott Reservations. They can put both your award stay and your paid stay on one reservation. This way you won't have to worry about "checking in/out" at all.
Old May 27, 2006, 11:52 am

Recently used our award stays with no problem

A couple of weeks ago my wife and a friend went to Desert Ridge for three nights using two Visa certificates and 30,000 points for one night. I set this all up through customer service. They had no problems at check in and everything went smoothly. They had a great girls weekend away. ^
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive
How to use "Visa free night category 1-4 hotels" certificate

I tried posing this question to Marriott's online customer service but instead got a non-answer, so I decided to go to a more expert source...FT.

I received my Marriotts Rewards Premium VISA a few months ago and in that time was credited with a "Visa free night category 1-4 hotels" certificate in my account. I'd like to use it for an upcoming trip I am taking.

Does anyone know how to use it? Also, how long will this certificate last should I decide to use it for a later stay?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

PS - Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I tried a search but found nothing that could help me. Thanks again!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used mine last summer with no problems. The property I wanted - a Cat 4 - had a Standard Award room available. During the booking process, I clicked the box that said "I already have my certificate - do not deduct points."

Then I just handed it over at check-in.

I don't know why it doesn't just say this on the back of the certificate itself. The cert doesn't mention Standard or Anytime awards - I just used common sense and assumed it was a Standard award. I don't know if anyone here has ever been able to use the Visa cert to pay for (or partly pay for) an Anytime award or not.

But anyway, I can confirm that the hotel had no problems allowing it for a Standard Award - it's not like there is some separate booking code outside of award availability that they were looking for.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You should have 6 months from the time the certificate was posted to your account to use it. The certificate is good as long as a standard award is available. Last year, I called reservations and had them note that I was using the certificate.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive
Thanks guys. Should I have received a paper certificate in the mail??? I just assumed that this was an e-certificate and could use it accordingly.

Golly, I hope I didn't accidentally throw anything away!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It is a paper certificate, and it comes in an envelope that looks like something from Marriott IIRC. I never throw anything away from Marriott except for Chase credit card applications, which I can tell from the envelope since I have received multiple offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.