Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:22 pm
CBE

Programs: NWA Silver
Question How to use Marriott Certificate?

I am new to Marriott Rewards. I applied a visa card from chase and I just got a certificate for one free night at hotels in categories 1-4. Is the certificate subject to capacity control? I plan to go to chicago this june but that trip may be canceled. If I make a reservation now using the certificate and then I cancel my reversation in June, will I be able to reuse the certificate for another reservation? Any other penalty? If I wait until June to make the reservation, how easy would I be able to get my room?

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Yes, the certificate will have capacity controls around its use. As for actually using it, just call the Marriott reservation number and let them know you are using that certificate. They will be able to tell you if there is availabilty to use at your desired location and dates.

There are normally no penalties for making a reservation using a certificate and then cancelling (at least as long as you cancel within the reservation rules, which is usually 6:00pm day of arrival.) It wouldn't hurt to ask what the cancellation policy is for your reservation though, as there are a few locations and dates that may have different cancellation policies.

I would suggest making your reservations now, and if your plans change, you can cancel/change the reservation then.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book your Marriott Reward stay online

Go to MR site to register if you haven't done so, then log in.

find out all the Cat 4 hotels in Chicago area, then pick the one that suits your need.

Check availability for your date. If there is availability, go ahead to make your reservation. When it gets to the screen ask you to order e-cert, check the box to indicate you already have a certificate, then finish the booking.

You will need a credit card to secure the reservation (whether you do it online or via the phone, you will need it.)

Make sure you understand the cancellation policy - make sure if you cannot make it, cancel the reservation BEFORE the deadline. Otherwise, you will be charged for either one night stay at the rack rate, or a specific amount spelled out on the reservation.

To cancel, you can just go online and cancel it.

You will receive e-mail confirmation on the reservation as well as cancellation confirmation should you have to cancel.

Far easier than going thru the phone reservation as you can see exactly where the hotels are located and the availability, right online.

Also, your certificate should have an expiration date - whether it is a FIXED date, or 6 months after its issuance - there is expiration. You certainly can use your certificate for another reservation should you fail to use it for your upcoming Chicago trip, before the certificate expires.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Use the code NPR in the corporate/promotional code box. Then put the cursor over the rate rules. Then keep the cursor over the rate rules so it changes color to red. Look at the bottom of the screen in the lower left hand corner. Match the rate code to the code that is indicated on your certificate. Then make your reservation with that rate code. This is one way to do it without the phone call. If you do not see any code match up with any of the given rates, just call to see if your certificate is available for those dates.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
I just want to add that, you should check the expiration date on your certificate. If the certificate is good throught June 30, 2006, and you booked and canceled your night on June 30, 2006, your certifcate will expire and can not be renew.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cert that came with Visa promo is good whenever there are std awards available

That is, the normal pt level required to book a night at the hotel.

It will not work if only the Anytime award is available for that date, i.e. 50% higher pt level. However, it would work if there is a $ amount for an upgrade, but one can still use the normal pt level to book - you just need to pay the upgrade $.

It is also a good idea to put in comments indicating you are using such cert and even give the cert number.

You will not see the code 32A or similar codes match with anything using the method described by couple post above.

Dont confuse the free night certificate from Visa promo with the gazillion other types of free night cert floating out there, particularly those from Charity auctions - those seem to be very problematic, judging from some reports on this forum.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:52 pm

alternative approach

another alternative that worked for me was to use the 15000 award points they also give you with the card for an'anytine' reward ' instead- available when the free night certificate capacity is exceeded. my partner and i combined our points for a night in paris this month that way. you'll need to have other points to make the amount but they do allow pooling with somebody else. if you've the time, maybe you can work out a trade with another Rewards member...
good luck!

Originally Posted by CBE
I am new to Marriott Rewards. I applied a visa card from chase and I just got a certificate for one free night at hotels in categories 1-4. Is the certificate subject to capacity control? I plan to go to chicago this june but that trip may be canceled. If I make a reservation now using the certificate and then I cancel my reversation in June, will I be able to reuse the certificate for another reservation? Any other penalty? If I wait until June to make the reservation, how easy would I be able to get my room?

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:18 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
CBE,
Just sign in to your Marriott account online & check the box, 'Use Marriott Rewards nights.' As Happy has posted, U need Standard availability, not Stay Anytime.
Bad news: Many Marriotts in Chicago are Cat. 5 or 6! There are 2 nice Cat. 4 Courtyards, one of them on Michigan Ave. & a Fairfield Inn & Suites in the tourist-trap Rush St. party district. Remember that 20K points = Cat. 4 for 1 night, so U can reserve 2 nights now, one to be paid with the 34A & the other with your 15K sign-up bonus + 5K other points.
Next year after U pay the annual fee, U will get a Cat. 5 cert. !
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:50 pm
CBE

Smile

Thank you all. I am very impressed by the valuable information you guys provided to me. I just booked a free night in Chicago Marriot O'Hare. My wife will take step 2 CS exam the next day at the building just opposite the hotel.
PERFECT LOCATION!!!

Thank you again.

CBE
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:58 am

Programs: AA LfGLD, HH Gold, PC Plt, Marriott Plt
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GPS123
I just want to add that, you should check the expiration date on your certificate. If the certificate is good throught June 30, 2006, and you booked and canceled your night on June 30, 2006, your certifcate will expire and can not be renew.
Slightly OT but I have an electronic cert which I thought expired May 2006, taken out May 2005, but were informed by MR CS London that these do not have any expiry date on them. ^

Going to use in Scottsdale in Sept.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
Little off topic but saw no need for new post for this as it is related.

How did the Free night cert. arrive? Was it under separate cover or included with other information? My USA mail is opened by someone else and they have not noticed the cert.

I received my 15000 bonus points about 6 weeks ago but no cert. yet.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:48 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by MADflyer

How did the Free night cert. arrive? Was it under separate cover or included with other information? My USA mail is opened by someone else and they have not noticed the cert.

I got the certificate notification via email and then a separate certificate via mail in a large envelope.. they could not miss it. But I think mine came within a few weeks of getting the credit card..
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
Originally Posted by MADflyer

Mine didn't come til 8 weeks after the points posted and only after i sent a message. You might want to email/call them.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:10 am
CBE

Question reservation using marriott rewards visa free night

I applied a Marriott visa card fromChase and received a certificate good for one night at category four hotels. I called Marriott to make a reservation and I told them I will use the visa free night certificate. Yesterday I checked my account online and found that there is note for my reservation saying "Please note that you have not yet ordered an e-certificate for this reservation." Under summary of charges (cost per night per room) is says "Marriott Rewards points (see Reward Description)". Total points for stay is 20000.

I am concerned whether my reservation is correctly done. Yesterday I called Marriott and the agent asked my reward code (34A) and she said she would make the change for me. Today I checked my reservation online again and nothing has been changed online. Is the information online normal for visa free night redemption reservations? Should I call Marriott again?

Thanks.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

I made a reservation using my Visa cert last week. I've just checked to see what is in my record, and it has the same verbiage as yours.

" * Marriott Rewards Redemption Reservation
* Order reward certificate(s) for this reservation >>"

Within the body of the reservation, it says:

"Please note that you have not yet ordered an e-certificate for this reservation."

While it shows this as being a 20K award stay, none have been deducted from my account. I already have the paper cert in hand, and will take that with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.